This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

reset win 8.1 laptop

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have no option to sleep anymore and cannot find where to obtain it.

I just performed a reset and sleep disappeared. I am trying Brink's tutorial but the command prompt will not work even with spaces.

 

It seems he is trying to enable hibernate more than sleep.

 

Rich, if you have a rabbit in your hat I need it now. Peter

You are correct. I have no sleep options as you show.

Even when I click, 'change settings that are currently unavailable', only hibernate appears in the place your arrow shows to sleep.

My system does not recognize sleep.

  Why isn't Sleep available?
Applies to Windows Vista

You might not be able to put your mobile PC to sleep for one or more of the following reasons:

  • The video card on your mobile PC doesn't support sleep. Update the driver for your video card, or check the information that came with your mobile PC about your video card and supported drivers.

  • Some settings are managed by your system administrator.

  • Sleep and other power-saving states are turned off in your mobile PC's basic input/output system (BIOS). To turn sleep on, restart your mobile PC, and then enter the BIOS setup. As your mobile PC starts, instructions typically appear on the screen that indicate which key or keyboard shortcut that you must press to enter the BIOS setup process. Because not all computer manufacturers use the same BIOS, different keys are assigned for this purpose. To learn more, check the information that came with your mobile PC or go to the manufacturer’s website.

 

Any of this apply? Says for Vista but applies to any WIndows I would think.

 

Key one is probably the video driver.

I read about that video card issue. I had sleep before so I should have it again.

 

I clicked on Display drivers in the device manager and when I clicked to update the driver it says I have the best one(MS basic display adapter).

 Speccy(Temperature gauge) says MS basic display adapter.

 

**How do I find the real name of the video card so I can get a driver from them if you think it would help the sleep issue.

 

I already looked at the BIOS and did not see anything about sleep. I saw usb wake support disabled so I enabled it but no difference.

In the first link to eightforum.com, it says

 

WARNING: If you completely disable UAC notification settings, then you might not have the Change settings that are currently unavailable link available, and the "Shutdown settings" would remain greyed out with no way of changing them until UAC is enabled to at least the default setting.

Could this be involved?

In the first link to eightforum.com, it says

UAC seems fine

 

WARNING: If you completely disable UAC notification settings, then you might not have the Change settings that are currently unavailable link available, and the "Shutdown settings" would remain greyed out with no way of changing them until UAC is enabled to at least the default setting.

Could this be involved?

I ran dxdiag and it gives me the name of my video card as MS basic display adapter. However, looking down to chip it says ATI atombios. I think I have a video card with MS drivers and cannot determine which company to go to, to get right downloads. How do I do that if it is right thing to do?
Am I looking for drivers or a whole download package?

Does ATOMBIOS sound like a video card?
I cannot remember the name of the installed card and do not know how to correct this.
I am sure this is the problem b/c the screen looks weird and not as good as it used to. This basic card is disabling the sleep issue.
I found the card that came with the pc =ATI Mobile Radeon, 64 BIT, 1 GB, DDR364mx16x8pcs.
How do I remove the bad and get the correct one installed?

Just download and install the right one. The one installed now is the default one that comes with Win 8.1, that's why sleep is not available.
 
You have a laptop or a desktop?
Provide the manufacturers name and complete model number.
 
You can also open Device Manager, expand Display Adapter then double click on yours.
Select the Details page then Hardware IDs from the drop down.
Click on the one that doesn't end in &REV_ then pre3ss Ctrl+C top copy it to the clipboard.
Paste that info here and we can check to see if it will tell us the exact GPU model you have.
 
For instance, mine is:  PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0412&SUBSYS_366D17AA
which is for a Intel HD Graphics 4600 chi.
 
I found this on eightforums for you: Dell xps 8300, Dell Inspiron 15 R N5010 and that the problem is for the laptop so this is the one you need:
 
📎PeteATI.jpg
 
Get it here:  Inspiron 15 (N5010, Early 2010)
 

which is http://downloads.dell.com/video/R272410.exe

Yes I have a laptop

ATI Mobility Radeon, HD 550v,64 BIT, 1 GB, DDR3 64 Mx16x8pcs. is what is on the sheet that came with it.

Dell  N5010,15R

service  tag 570x3N1

The above is all that is on the sheet.

When I tried the dropdown there were 7 entries and they looked different than yours and I was not  sure what to look for. I don't know how to copy to a clipboard as it says in Google it does not exist. after XP

Regarding installing, I noticed if I chick to disable the old driver I have the chance to "browse" my pc for the new. So should I download the driver first than do that to install it??     Or just install it??

I cannot find the manufacturer of the driver only the pc itself.

I can't thank you enough for your continued support, Rich. I would really be lost without it. I know you have other things to do.

I will wait to hear from you to see if I should just download and install or if you wanted to reply to anything I have said.

 

One last question =that driver was when I had Win 7 and now I have 8.1. Is it ok?

I double clicked it and installed it and after reboot the old driver is still working..

 

Could I have done something wrong like removing the other first if possible?

I just uninstalled the old at the device manager, rebooted uninstalled all the old ati's and rebooted and installed the driver. It will not install.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI