I have an XP that I uses strictly for connection to my embroidery software as this is the only OS that will work with the software box. Since it needs to go on our home network to do this I need the internet working as well for when I want to move it from one computer to another. My wired connection has gone out. I have checked the wires and switched them around with the other computer and it does not work. I am wondering how I can make this wireless or can't I? I bought a usb from amazon and it did not work, so thinking I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone help me?
I have an XP that I uses strictly for connection to my embroidery software as this is the only OS that will work with the software box.
What is the software box? Is this a box that you connect to your embroidery machine?
Since it needs to go on our home network to do this I need the internet working as well for when I want to move it from one computer to another.
You first said you have an XP machine that you use exclusively… but no you move the software box from one computer to another? There is something I'm missing here.
Thank you for reading this. I have a win 7 desktop, a win 8 laptop and then the XP. My embroidery box does not work with the 7 or 8, only the xp. My Xp I do not have online as I can't update. Right now I have my embroidery files on my win 8, then when I want something I have to use a flash drive, bring them to my XP and then put them on the card for my machine from there. It is a pain. If I could get my XP online so it is on the netwrok I could use my win 7 to get from win 8 and then my XP can network with the win 7. It would be so much easier than what I am doing now. My wired connection, Am assuming the card, went out and I can't get a wired connection to work . I am trying to find out how to make it a wireless connection with something that will still work with XP. If I can get online with it I can also install my antivirus that will protect me even though XP does not update any more.
Thank you. I have a better understanding of what you are doing.
Did you follow the link that I gave and try to troubleshoot your wired connection? Though the card may have failed, that is less likely than a setup issue.
I do understand that you are trying to get your XP hooked up wirelessly, but often the issue keeping a wired connection from working, will also stop a wireless connection from working, and the wired connection has less variables to look at.
I have tried the link you sent and nothing. I see two network connections and can't remeber which was the working one before things quit. I disabled both and tried them individually. All I get is a network cable is unplugged with both of them. It is not. I also tried the cable on my win 7 computer and it works fine, so not the cable. ATT modem has been reset several times as well. I am just frustrated with all this. Appreciate your time.
Nothing marking anything on the device manager at all. I did not kow what I need to make it wireless. I did get a usb wireless adapter but did not know if i needed more than that. When I got it (ordered from Amazon) it did not say XP on it and did not work. I assumed I either needed something else or that because it did not say XP it would not work so I mailed it back to them.
OK. I've used them. Just plugged them in, let windows install the driver, and away I went. At this point, I don't know if the issue was/is related to wired not working, or if it was something different. I haven't ran into a usb adapter that wouldn't work on XP, but that doesn't mean there aren't some.
Please follow along and verify for me that device status does say "This device is working properly".
This is for your wired connection. There isn't really anything I can do about your wireless if you don't have an adapter to use, but it is still possible that the same problem that is causing the wired connection not to work is also interfering with the wireless you tried.
Yes, says working properly. So do not know why it will not connect. It had been connected until right about the same time that Microsoft stopped supporting XP. I am sure it is a coincidence, but that is about the timing. I hooked up my Win 7 and had it networked to my XP, and tried to get my win 8 networked and found out it would not. Shortly after the support for the XP stopped and then my connection quit as well. Like I said, I am sure it is all coincidence, but it is frustrating anyway.
My Windows 8 does not have the XP compatability turned on. I contacted where I bought it as I purposly got this one with the pro version for that purpose. Apparently it was not put on it. Thus all this headache!
I do not see an icon but not sure what it would look like. When I tried to go online and download the XP compatable update after I got the computer it said that it could not install because of something not turned on. It was so long ago I can't remember what but when I contacted where I bought it they said it should have been on but to do it now I would lose everything I had on the computer. Win 8 has been a frustration and I did not want to lose what I had done and just figured setting this XP back up and using PC matic to protect it would be easier… was I fooled ;(
Right Click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Network Adaptors Ues the drop down arrow. Right Click on every adaptor listed and Select uninstall.