This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

extra phone

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I bought a Galaxy S5 with a 64 GB SD card. It was returned after being lost and I had bought another in the meanwhile.

I have a functional one and a twin which I had deactivated by Verizon when lost. What should I do now that I have 2 new phones and only use one?

Spare parts or……

I'd probably just keep it as a spare.  That way if something happens to the phone you use… you can just put the SIM card in the other phone and away you go.

 

Or… sell it.

If I sell it should I have it activated  first and what is the best way to sell it.

I paid $ 500 so what should I ask?

 

By the way if I put the sim card in it don't I have to go to Verizon to do something?

I can't think of a reason to activate it before selling.  Unless we are talking different terms here, to activate it you would have to purchase a service plan.  Service plans don't usually travel with the phone… so when you sell the phone they would have to get their own plan - and you could still be on the hook for any contract you may have signed.

 

If I took the SIM card out of my Nokia 822 and installed it in your Galaxy S5… all incoming calls, texts, whatever to me would ring in and be delivered to the Galaxy.  The SIM card is what  the Verizon system uses to determine where to send my stuff.  Apple is "special" so I believe if you tried to switch to or from an iphone, you might have to talk to Verizon to make sure everything works correctly.

 

I don't know what you could sell it for.  I see them on Ebay for $250?

Good idea.

 

I will say that as far as just moving your SIM card into your "spare" phone… I know that works.  I've done it more than once.  Go ahead and try it yourself if you want.

You cannot switch sims

Excuse me?  Perhaps you can't.  I definitely can.  In fact, I borrowed a coworkers phone and did it moments ago.  I put mine in his, his in mine, and we immediately continued service with the "new" handsets.  A week ago another colleague had his iphone stop working (Verizon agreed to send him a new one).  We had to call Verizon to get his number switched into an old Boulder(no SIM card), but when the new iphone arrived… we simply popped the SIM card in and turned it on (had to power off the Boulder first.  Very important) The SIM card is what is activated in the Verizon system.  The phone doesn't matter.

I tried the old sim in the new phone and it would not call or do the internet.

I tried the new sim in the old phone and was able to update to Lollipop5 fro KitKat 4.0 but that is all.

I am going to call the insurance company where this all stared and do the right thing whatever that is.

 

It seems there are a lot of variables with phones, carriers, plans etc.

 

Please don't take offense at my posts as I am only reporting what I find.

Not offended.  I was assuming that a Verizon salesman told you that… and was wrong.  However, if it didn't work when you tried it, I would have to agree that it didn't work.  I find it interesting that it didn't work for you… but can offer no explanation as to why it is different.

 

Wait… I think I know partially what happened.  The "old sim" would have been deactivated when you got the "new sim".  It should no longer work in any phone.  The "new sim" is the only one that should work.  I don't know why it wouldn't call out or in, but the fact that it did update tells me it was working, but apparently only partially.

:adios: 

 

It did update to Lollipop but that's all. The old sim was deactivated by Verizon when I got the new one so no one could use it. - it would have been nice if I told you that.

You did tell me you had a replacement for a lost phone.  It was me that was unclear when I talked about changing SIM cards.  I knew your old card shouldn't work.  I'm just surprised that the new one doesn't work in both phones.  Still, if you did need to switch phones, it can't take more than a simple phone call to get it working again.

It is a long story;
bought phone at Target for $99. with 2 year contract and 2 GB data.
House fire -phone taken by emt.
I called house insurance and told her paid 99 but worth 500 with deal. Told home owners the phone insurance Worth Ave Group would have deductible. Home insurance said they would cover phone at 500 + SD card and cover.
Phone returned by emts. It had been deactivated so it could not be used. I got check and bought new phone. First phone returned so I have reported all this to homeowners.
Waiting for voice mail reply.

You're right.  That is a bit of a convoluted story… but the phone should just work.  I could see your insurance not wanting you to sell it, but it seems like they should let you keep it as a spare.  Perhaps they will want to sell it to recoup their outlay, but I'd think it wouldn't be worth their time.

 

Good luck.

I have been honest from the beginning so will accept what the return call suggests if reasonable. She, the top tier adjuster, seemed to be very cooperative when the fire was reported. I'll let you know what develops.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI