This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Powershell spawning DLLHOST.exe *32 Comm Surrogate [Solved]

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am a PC tech but not afraid to admit when I need help. I have a computer running windows Vista that is displaying multiple instances of the DLLhost 32. The %temp% folder had 25gb of files in it. It looks like the DLL is used to click on internet ads.

 

Panda antivirus is not catching it. I have looked at several removal procedures If found in different forums but they seem to fall apart. My guess is they were not written with vista in mind. I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer and have uploaded the customary farbar scan

 

๐Ÿ“ŽFRST.txt

Hi there,
my name is Marius and I will assist you with your malware related problems.

Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.

  • First, read my instructions completely. If there is anything that you do not understand kindly ask before proceeding.

  • Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.

  • If you have any problems while following my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of your problem.

  • Do not run any other scans without instruction or add/remove software unless I tell you to do so. This would change the output of our tools and could be confusing for me.

  • Post all logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you. If you can not post all logfiles in one reply, feel free to use more posts.

  • If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.

  • Stay with me. I will give you some advice about prevention after the cleanup process. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.

  • My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.

  • Important: To help me reviewing your logs, please post them in code boxes. You can create them by clicking on the <>-symbol on top of the reply window.

 

 

 

Please post the addition.txt by FRST as well!

 

Scan with Gmer rootkit scanner

Please download Gmer from here by clicking on the "Download EXE" Button.

  • Double click on the randomly named GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent.
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scanโ€ฆclick on NO.
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following โ€ฆ
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Show All ( should be unchecked by default )
  • Leave everything else as it is.
  • Close all other running programs as well as your Browser.
  • Click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the Save.. button, and in the File name area, type in "ark.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop.
  • Please post the content of the ark.txt here.

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<โ€” ROOKIT" entries

I am attaching a fresh FRST Scan with the addition.txt the other scan is still running after 20 hours. I chose to scan the C: drive and the trojan has created gigabytes of temporary internet files even after I deleted them manually. I rarely chose quick scans out of fear they miss something. However, Would you like me to allow the full scan to finish or cancel it and run a quick scan?

 

๐Ÿ“ŽAddition.txt๐Ÿ“ŽFRST.txt

Combofix

Combofix should only be run when adviced by a team member!

Link


Important - Save the file to your desktop!


  • Deactivate any and all of your antivirus programs /spyware scanners - they can prevent CF from doing its work.
  • Run Combofix.exe


When finished, Combofix creates a log file named C:\Combofix.txt. Please post its content in your next reply.

Note: When receiving an error message containing ""Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion" simply restart your computer to fix this.

Thank you so much for your attention. I was able to reach out elsewhere and get the matter resolved. turns out there is a registry key that is created that contains all the javascript. 

 

Please close the request & accept a small token of my gratitude. 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI