Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Virus/malware on my machine - Would appreciate help [Solved]

Norton360 Malwarebytes doesnt resolve

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#16 Conspire

Conspire

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Well then, you're good to go now. :)

You can remove the tools we used and there is no need to keep them.

Thank you for your patience, and performing all of the procedures requested. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for any delay that may have occurred.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MICROSOFT UPDATES
It is very important that you get all of the critical updates for your Operating System and Internet Explorer. Keeping your OS and browser up to date will help make you less susceptible to attacks by Trojans and viruses. Please go to Microsoft and download all the critical updates to help prevent possible re-infection.

Passwords
It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article
Strong passwords: How to create and use them and consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe.

SPYWARE PREVENTION
This is a good time to set up protection against further attacks. In light of your recent problem, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please read these well written articles:To help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs if you do not already have them:
  • WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop

WOT has an add-on available for both Firefox and IE.

• SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, blocks cookies, and restricts the actions of "bad" sites. See tutorial here
  • MVPS HOSTS FILE replaces your current HOSTS file with one that will restrict known ad sites from serving you unsolicited advertisements. It basically prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting the attempted connections to 127.0.0.1, which is the IP of your local computer. See guide here and for Windows Vista here
    • Download Host.zip and Save it to your Desktop.
    • Right-click hosts.zip and select 'Extract all files' or 'Extract files...'.
    • Follow the prompts and click 'Finish'.
    • This will open the newly created hosts folder on your Desktop.
    • Double-click on the included mvps.bat file, this will rename the existing HOSTS file to HOSTS.MVP, then it will copy the included updated HOSTS file to the correct location on your machine.
    • Once updated you should see another prompt that the task was completed.
Follow this list and keep your antivirus program and antispyware programs updated and scan with them on a regular basis. By doing so, your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Hopefully this should take care of your problems! Good luck.

Do you have any questions or problems to ask? Please do not hesitate to do so.

**Please respond this one more time to ensure it is resolved and close this topic.
Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE
The help you receive here is always free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 jcoops

jcoops

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:30 AM

On the contrary, I found you to be quite responsive and extremely helpful!  It isn't lost on me that it was free and I've paid for far less service.  I'll go through your remaining recommendations today.

Thanks so much!

#18 Conspire

Conspire

SuperHelper

• 5,806 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

You're welcome.

Take care, stay safe! :)
Member of UNITE
The help you receive here is always free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Conspire

Conspire

SuperHelper

• 5,806 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:23 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.
Member of UNITE
Posted Image