When I x out either Skype or "pc settings" I notice in task manager that they are still open and close them there. They seem to be the only two as I have tried about 20.
Although not a big issue, it has caused conflict with other programs closing at times .
I just looked in my task manager, and yes, there were programs I had closed, that were still listed as being there, my best guess is that it's done as a "jump start" so to speak, so those programs will start faster the next time they are accessed, but they are not using the CPU, although they do take a bit of memory, but with 8gig + of ram being common these days I can't see that being a problem, but that's my best guess, it's purely to give you faster responses if you need it again, but others may know better, hope this helps a bit anyway.
Windows 8 leaves everything open that you start in the metro interface. PC Settings is a metro interface thing unlike control panel which is not. You need to move your mouse to the upper left hand corner of the screen where windows will show you the metro apps that are open and allow you to close them by right clicking them.
Skype doesn't close when you click the X button. All that does is minimize it and let it run in the background so you can still receive phone calls. You need to right-click it on the taskbar and choose "quit," at which point you are warned you won't receive phone calls if you do this. I'm not real familiar with Skype, other than this rather annoying "feature," so maybe there is an option to change that behavior.
I did try You need to right-click it on the taskbar and choose "quit," but all I saw was the option to close. When I clicked it, it still remained opened in the task bar.
My choices were split left, split right , close etc.
I have an old 31/2 years now, pc with 6 GB ram which sounded good in its day.
Either one can be right-clicked at which point you have an option to "Quit" skype. These images are from Windows 7 but I don't think it is any different on 8.
In that case, I'm not familiar. With a little bit of research I see references that at one time it could not be closed. It has since come around and you can drag it to the bottom of the screen or press Alt+F4 while you have it open to close it. Another solution - Uninstall Skype for Windows 8 and install the desktop version like described in the link above. http://www.wpcentral.com/remember-time-when-you-just-couldnt-get-rid-skype
I am using Skype for desktop and do click 'quit' to close it out.
For the sake of argument, let us remove Skype from the conversation as it is a peculiar program regarding closing/quitting as opposed to others.
Let us stay with 'pc settings'. Please read my previous discussion about it and tell me as to how I close it without task manager as the way you previously described did not work.
Either it does not work or I am not doing it correctly..
Ok. My confusion. I thought you were referring to Skype. Sorry.
In Windows 8, if you open a metro app - that is many of the apps that are listed on the "start" page, they stay running after you navigate to a different location. You can identify a metro app because it opens full screen and doesn't have any of the normal windows buttons around the border, and it doesn't switch to your desktop. I think you're clear on that right? PC Settings is a metro app. If we are talking about the same thing, one way to get to it is to open your charms menu go down to settings and then change PC settings. Once you open a metro app, you would probably press the start button on your keyboard, or move your mouse to the lower left hand corner and click the start button to go somewhere else.
Here in lies the issue. The app is still running. So, if you have gone to PC settings it is still running. If you open the skype app, or the weather app, or the travel app, it will still be running. To view these running apps, you can move your mouse to the upper left hand corner of your screen and then slide down. All those items will be shown. You can right-click them and click close. If you currently have PC settings open and on your screen then you don't have the same options. But, once you navigate back to your start page or a different screen - such as your desktop, you will have the option to close it.
Once its closed it disappears from Task Manager a few moments later. The above image is from Windows 8. But, I'm pretty sure the behavior is the same on Windows 8.1.
I still find that they show in task manager even after closing them like that, say I view a .pdf file online, it opens Adobe, I drop it out of sight and close it as per your image, but it still shows up in task manager after, and although it's not using any CPU, it does use a bit of ram, which as I surmised previously is probably to speed up future launches, m$ trying to give people a more responsive system I guess.
The important thing here in this conversation is that we differentiate between a Metro App and a desktop application. Both behave differently. And with each program there can be different expectations.
You mention Adobe Reader and as far as I know that is only a desktop application or is there "an app for that," too? So, for instance, when you open a PDF file, it should open in a re-sizable windowed application on your desktop where you also have the minimize, maximize, and close buttons? This would be different than what I am talking about with the metro apps.
With Adobe Reader / Acrobat there are additional programs that run in the background. I don't think any of them are necessary, but they get turned on as auto-start items in your registry or load after you load the application. So, without disabling them, you are likely going to see one or more adobe processes listed in task manager. One likely thing would be the adobe auto-updater process.
Other applications may have a "quick start" feature as you have mentioned. Google Chrome is one. Quickbooks is another I see often. Adobe also has a fast start.
But, as far as things staying open in task manager, I did some testing on Windows 8 and the processes I see appear in Task Manager disappear after it is closed as I described above. Specifically, I tested this with "PC Settings."
Sorry my mistake, I'm so used to Adobe for .pdf, I totally forget the difference when the system auto starts Reader instead, and in my case at least it stays in task manager after it's closed as per the screenshot, and although it doesn't show, the curser is in the top left corner to draw down the side bar to show open programs, and as you can see there are none, in this instance I manually started it from the Start screen, but I had noticed it before when it auto starts after clicking an online link, but the end result is the same, I am using 8.1 though, so I don't know if that makes any difference to this ?
I lost Blue Tooth but that's ok, the advisor said I would.
B/c of the phone situation, I may migrate from Windows, which I wanted to Android. I will get to know the other OS and make it easier to tutor my wife with a Chromebook as she is pc illiterate.
It appears that the common theme here is that those apps can be closed by swiping down from the top of the screen and dragging to the bottom of the screen, or pressing Alt+F4 while it is in view. This is the same process used for the Skype App. If you are using Adobe Reader I would suggest uninstalling Microsoft's PDF Reader.
As your editorial stated, "If you are using a touchscreen hold the finger on the top and drag it down . If you are using a mouse, close it by Xing it out at the upper right.
If you don't close an app, Windows will let it run for a while and eventually will close it"
The initial comment was that Windows was allowing pc settings to run even after it was properly closed with the mouse.
As I don't experience this problem here while testing on Windows 8.1, I can only assume that the software is not being closed out properly. Because Windows 8 is a different beast, especially with the introduction of "apps," it was important to make sure that you and anybody else reading this thread does understand the difference and the implications of such, as well as the various methods of closing these buggers out.
I'm sorry I don't have any further information to help you out with…
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI