Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

XP, something is running slowing computer to a crawl

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#91 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

Hi gcdi,

That's a good peice of information.

I'm not going to say it's normal and I'm not going to say it sn't. However it is quite common. It's usually caused by system interupt requests or defered procedure calls. It basically means something is waiting for data or to execute. Since it is only waiting it isn't really doing anything and get logged as part of System Idle instead of a process. It will use CPU cycles though so in task manager you would see a large number for CPU even if System Idle says 99. I think if we ran a program like System Explorer it would confirm this.

They can be caused by a buggy driver or even an improperly uninstalled or installed program. Did you add any programs or uninstall any recently? What about any new hardware.

Be fore we continue are you experiencing any or all of the symptoms you had before?

dialup connection window has started popping up and it won't close

Is this still happening? If it is open Internet Options. In IE it Tools > Internet Options.
  • In Internet Options click on the Connections tab.
  • In the middle you should see a box Never dial a connection
  • Make sure this is checked.
  • Click apply, click ok
work offline has been checked even after I unchecked it.

Does this stil happen?

Does IE still show as a process even if you haven't opened it?

When did you install Spybot?

As for Chrome you can uninstall it and reinstall it later.

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroon
If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg
Curiosity didn't kill the cat. Ignorance did, curiosity was framed.
Learn how to protect Yourself

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#92 gcdi

gcdi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:52 AM

No more dial up connection, no work offline and no IE in processes when not using it.

The current symptom is just very slow to do things

I don't remember when I installed spybot but I think it has been a long time.

No new hardware, I think the last thing I installed was CMS which is a program to communicate with a DVR which was installed a few months before I started having problems.

#93 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hi gcdi,

Let's try Process Explorer and see if it will show what is using the CPU.

You can get a copy from HERE. The download button is in the upper right hand corner. Save it a location that you can remember. The file is a zip file so you will need to unzip in order to run it. Once unzipped double click on proceex.

Once it's running you will see a column named CPU. Look for anything that is using high CPU. At the bottom it will show you pretty much as what Task Manager has already told you.

In the left panel near the top you should see interrupts. What is showing as CPU usage?

If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#94 gcdi

gcdi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:22 AM

Nothing seems to be using very much CPU. GUI.exe is about the highest at 2.04.

Sitting idle interrupts are less than 1.

I opened IE while watching proceex and interrupts went up to 24 and then worked back down to around 1.

#95 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

Hi gcdi,

What is shown as CPU usage at the bottom of the screen?

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#96 gcdi

gcdi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

Seems to be somewhere between 4 and 20

#97 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

Hi gcdi,

That doesn't seem too bad. Mines about 11. What happens when you try to open something? Does anything jump up in usage?

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#98 gcdi

gcdi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:10 AM

While watching I opened IE, cpu usage went to 30 and interrupts went to 24.

#99 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

Hi gdci,

Did the numbers go back down or did they stay fairly high?

IE8 has been known to cause problems on some computers. I'm on Win7 at the moment but I'll switch to XP later and see what I get. I do know things did seem a bit slower after I was "upgraded" to IE8. IE8 can't be uninstalled so don't try uninstalling it. We could end up with a bigger mess.

Try opening a program that is not internet related and see what the numbers read.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#100 gcdi

gcdi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

The numbers will go back down but around every thirty seconds they will jump up and then go back down.

Opening word cpu goes to 25, interrupts to 13 and they go down fairly soon.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#101 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Hi gdci,

How does the computer preform afterwards?

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#102 gcdi

gcdi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:56 AM

The same issues, it's useable, 1000 % better than when we started but still is slow compared to before the problem started.

Starting up the computer takes a couple of minutes before I can do anything with it.

Clicking on a desktop icon for a web browser takes about one and a half minutes before the browser opens and loads the first page.

#103 gcdi

gcdi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:07 AM

Some new symptoms, firefox crashes each time I try it. It opens to the home page and when I select a bookmark or search for something it shutsdown and then gives a window that it crashed and to send a report about the crash.

Also IE works most of the time but has been freezing.

#104 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

Hi gcdi,

Let's see if this will show us if some traces remain.
  • Please download RogueKiller
  • and save it to your desktop.
  • Close any running programmes.
  • Double-click RogueKiller.exe to run the programme.
  • Allow the Prescan to complete. Upon completion, a window will open. Click Accept.
  • A browser window may open. Close the browser window.
  • Click jpgUwzp.png. Upon completion, click phPvmc6.png.
  • Close[/b] the programme. Do not fix anything!
  • A log (RKreport.txt) will be open. Copy the contents of the log and paste in your next reply.
  • Note: If RogueKiller is unable to run, please retry. If you find after several attempts the programme will still not run, please rename RogueKiller.exe to winlogon.exe and try again.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#105 gcdi

gcdi

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

Had a little bit of an issue running it. It was running and showed below that there were two suspicious paths, got to about 80% done then computer froze.

Left it alone for a long time but it didn't continue so finally had to restart computer.

Running it the second time it didn't show the two items again.

Here's the log.

RogueKiller V10.0.2.0 [Oct 16 2014] by Adlice Software
mail : http://www.adlice.com/contact/
Blog : http://www.adlice.com

Operating System : Windows XP (5.1.2600 Service Pack 3) 32 bits version
Started in : Normal mode
User : MIKE [Administrator]
Mode : Scan -- Date : 10/21/2014  05:02:54

¤¤¤ Processes : 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Registry : 22 ¤¤¤
[Suspicious.Path] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | tsnp2std : C:\WINDOWS\tsnp2std.exe  -> Found
[Suspicious.Path] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run | snp2std : C:\WINDOWS\vsnp2std.exe  -> Found
[Suspicious.Path] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\etdrv (\??\C:\WINDOWS\etdrv.sys) -> Found
[Suspicious.Path] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\gdrv (\??\C:\WINDOWS\gdrv.sys) -> Found
[Suspicious.Path] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\etdrv (\??\C:\WINDOWS\etdrv.sys) -> Found
[Suspicious.Path] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\gdrv (\??\C:\WINDOWS\gdrv.sys) -> Found
[Suspicious.Path] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Services\catchme (\??\C:\DOCUME~1\MIKE\LOCALS~1\Temp\catchme.sys) -> Found
[Suspicious.Path] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Services\etdrv (\??\C:\WINDOWS\etdrv.sys) -> Found
[Suspicious.Path] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Services\gdrv (\??\C:\WINDOWS\gdrv.sys) -> Found
[PUM.Proxy] HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1085031214-2000478354-839522115-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings | ProxyServer : localhost:8080  -> Found
[PUM.HomePage] HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main | Start Page : -> Found
[PUM.HomePage] HKEY_USERS\RK_Default User_ON_F_26E8\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main | Start Page : -> Found
[PUM.HomePage] HKEY_USERS\RK_MIKE_ON_F_B271\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main | Start Page : -> Found
[PUM.HomePage] HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1085031214-2000478354-839522115-1003\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main | Start Page : -> Found
[PUM.HomePage] HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main | Start Page : -> Found
[PUM.SearchPage] HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main | Search Page : -> Found
[PUM.SearchPage] HKEY_USERS\RK_Default User_ON_F_26E8\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main | Search Page : http://red.clientapp...lts/sp/sbcydsl/*http://www.yahoo.com  -> Found
[PUM.SearchPage] HKEY_USERS\RK_MIKE_ON_F_B271\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main | Search Page : http://red.clientapp...lts/sp/sbcydsl/*http://www.yahoo.com  -> Found
[PUM.SearchPage] HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1085031214-2000478354-839522115-1003\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main | Search Page : -> Found
[PUM.SearchPage] HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main | Search Page : -> Found
[PUM.DesktopIcons] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\RK_Software_ON_F_F9DC\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel | {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} : 1  -> Found
[PUM.DesktopIcons] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel | {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} : 1  -> Found

¤¤¤ Tasks : 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Files : 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Hosts File : 1 ¤¤¤
[C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts] 127.0.0.1       localhost

¤¤¤ Antirootkit : 0 (Driver: Loaded) ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Web browsers : 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ MBR Check : ¤¤¤
+++++ PhysicalDrive0: WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B0 +++++
--- User ---
[MBR] e9b4d134dd6a6610e40cb5a8d1537184
[BSP] 02ae98ea33bf83528dbb24639397e7d2 : Windows XP MBR Code
Partition table: