I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot. Removed it by deleting partitions, and using Repair Disk for Windows 7 32-bit with the command "bootsect/nt60 SYS /mbr". Tried to do System Restore, which won't run because it says Local Disk (C:) has errors. When I request Chkdsk and Restart, nothing happens except a normal reboot.
can't restore, can't chkdsk
4 min read
Update: successfully performed System Restore from Repair Disk, but still cannot do Chkdsk.
Just read in another thread that running dism and sfc fixed the chkdsk problem.
Download and run this batch file from a Elevated Command Prompt: DISMandSFC.zip
This is what it looks like:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup pause Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth pause SFC /scannow pause
Then try chkdsk again.
Thanks, Rich. Not there yet. Created batch file (internet not working correctly), ran Command Prompt as Administrator, ran batch file. DISM said "error 87 the restorehealth option is not recognized in this context". Same for "startcomponentcleanup". SFC /scannow ran, and gave me this: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them".
If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, or it's not up to the Service Pack level currently installed, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:
Windows 7 Direct Download Links
Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.
I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file. Just be careful during the install not to accidentally install some of the bundled junk that comes with it. Always take The Custom Install option.
You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO.
The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.
If you are just using the Recovery Console you do not need a key.
You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
- Download and run Universal USB Installer Easy as 1 2 3
- Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
- Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
- Select your USB flash drive
- Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers:
Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.
Once you have that:
How to run chkdsk or System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console
- Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
- When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
- At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
- At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C: ) and click Next
- At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
- Run chkdsk or SFC
- If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
- For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C: ).
- For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)
Let either run to completion undisturbed.
Two questions. I want to download from your first link in previous post, but don't know which to choose. I have Windows 7 Professional 32-bit SP1. Also, I bought the computer off of eBay, and don't have a sticker. I have a 25-character Serial Number and a 20-character Product ID that has OEM in it. Is either one of these the key you mentioned?
You want this one: Windows 7 Professional x86 SP1 U (media refresh)
The key is the 25 character one, 5 groups of 5 characters.
Chkdsk ran for about 3 seconds, processed 56 files, found no problems! SFC refused to run, gave me a lesson in switches to the executable. Can I just re-install Windows 7? I have all my personal files backed up.
If installing Ubuntu and deleting it has caused my problem, would re-installing Windows address that issue, or would I need to format the hard drive?
I would recommend Clean Install Windows 7 using the iso you download from heidoc.net.
Having a little trouble with the partition thing. I found that I had 100 MB reserved, 134 GB as primary, and 98 GB unallocated. I deleted the primary, as I think this is where Windows resided. I tried deleting the 98 GB so that there would only be one partition, but couldn't seem to get it done. I chose the 134 GB partition for my clean install. If this won't work, or will cause me future headaches, tell me and I'll start over.
Update: seems to be working fine! Will test everything out, and report back. Thanks, Rich!
DVD burning at 4x really makes a difference. Tried twice to make a disc of the iso with Windows, but they didn't work. Downloaded a freeware iso burner, worked great. Thanks to Ztruker and the entire What the Tech team!
You're welcome, glad all is well.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI