Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't install software

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Usually it does add up.  I would suggest that you head on over to the malware removal forum and have them give your system a check.  At least with their tools we can get a good idea of what's installed and running on the computer and make sure there is no malware.

Create a new thread here: http://forums.whatth...hp?showforum=27

You should reference this thread by adding the URL to your first post: http://forums.whatth...howtopic=128384

If you still have problems afterwards, feel free to update us on this thread.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Will do, thanks for your help so far.

#18 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Dumb question:  How do I copy this url over to the malware forum?  I've tried everything I can think of but when I get there and try to paste I don't have a paste option.

#19 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

I'm not sure. You should just right click the URL I put in my reply above, copy and then paste it in your new topic post. Not sure. Don't let it stop you from creating your post. Just tell them the background. They are a resourceful bunch they can find it.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#20 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

I have been working with OCD in the Malware thread. He feels like we're clean malware wise but we still haven't fixed the problem so he suggested I come visit you guys again. The malware thread is below:

http://forums.whatth...howtopic=128392

Thanks.

#21 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

Thanks to OCD for the thorough checkup.  I agree that this problem seems related to something other than malware.  But, I see some things.  You indicate the computer froze up a few times.  I also see an excessive amount of security applications running on the computer.

You have several things working against you here.  Unfortunately, with the age of the computer you are quite likely still dealing with some kind of hardware issue. Trying to explain these things through a forum environment is tough, and its even tougher for the person on the other end to do the basic things that every computer should have every couple of years.

So, I'm going to run off a few things to you and you can take them or leave them.

The age of the computer is enough to consider that there is a high chance of bad capacitors on the motherboard.  If that's the case - forget it.  The computer is old enough, its time to throw it out and get a new one.  To find out, you'll have to remove a couple of screws and pop the side off the computer.  You'll look for bulging and leaking capacitors as seen here: https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=624 - If you find any, our job is done here.  That's probably your problem and go shop for a new computer.

If you don't have bad capacitors go ahead and clean the case out if it is dirty.  Clogged fans and overheating can certainly cause some of your issues.  Take it carefully outside and use some compressed air to get the dust out of every nook and cranny.

With a computer of this age it is also quite possible that there are bad connections, specifically on the memory modules.  There are some memory tests you can run.  Here is an article, albeit antiquated, that I wrote previously on the matter: http://forums.whatth...howtopic=103823 - But, you can probably forego the tests and just reseat the RAM a couple of times while you are inside the case.

Now, leave the cover off of the computer and plug everything back in and turn it on.  Inspect the fans in the case and make sure they are all spinning and air is moving.  If all looks good, you can carefully put the cover back on.  You've finally eliminated the most likely issues you are going to experience with hardware of this age.  If you were careful the computer will start back up normally.

If you made it this far, and the computer is still running terrible (likely it will be, if you made it this far) then lets clean a few things up.  Listen, I don't like malware any more than the next guy, but there's a point where you cross protection and dive into "feel good."  I'm going to state a simple fact - you will never be safe from malware - period.  It doesn't matter if you have 1 anti-virus or 10, or nothing at all.  Many of these programs are almost obsolete because the massive amount of malware and new tricks people are creating on a daily basis renders them pretty useless.  What they do a very good job of is slowing down your 7 year old computer running the notoriously slow Windows Vista operating system with only 2GB of RAM - oh and making all kinds of things not work right.  I see anti-malware programs running on your computer that don't even show up in your programs listing.  Looking through the list it looks like 3/4 of the running processes on your system are anti-malware programs.  

So, take it or leave it but I'm going to provide you a list of programs you need to uninstall from add/remove programs right now and then tell me how your computer runs.  Bare in mind that I am going to include most if not all of your anti-virus / anti-malware programs and that you do need to replace a couple of these programs - but, for the purpose of performance testing we're going back to barebones.

Open Add/Remove programs and uninstall the following programs:

• Browser Address Error Redirector
  • Fix-It
  • HP Customer Participation Program
  • HP Update
  • MalwareBytes
  • Skype Toolbars
  • Spybot - Search & Destroy (Please undo all the "immunization" it makes first)
  • Trojan Hunter 5.0
  • WinPatrol

And finally, AdAware is running on your system but I don't see it in the program listing.  So, read and follow the directions here: http://www.lavasofts...hp?showtopic=28

HP has graced you with their bloatware.  If you don't have an HP printer - uninstall it ALL.  Otherwise, click your start button, type services.msc into the search box and hit ENTER.  When the services window opens up, find HP Cue Device Discovery, double-click it and change its startup type to disabled.

If you don't have a Kodak product anymore, please uninstall all the Kodak software - its looking as bad as McAfee.

I suspect McAfee is playing a major role in slowing down your computer.  Looks like you went all out on that product and it has happily started 11 processes on your computer to do its job.  If you paid for it, I understand.  If you want to reinstall it, I understand.  But, if you have the original information to the product - flatter me and uninstall it - every bit of it.  You can wait until the end if you'd like and see how your computer runs after the above.  But, if its still performing the way you describe you're going to have to try it.  I've seen this enough to know its a likely culprit.

If these programs ask you to reboot during the uninstall and you have a choice, you can wait to reboot until the end.  Then reboot.  Let me know how your computer runs then.

You're going to need a basic anti-virus and a nice anti-malware program to scan with every now and then.  If your computer is running good and you don't insist on running McAfee here are my suggestions.

Install Microsoft Security Essentials for your anti-virus.  Install MalwareBytes anti-malware for your on-demand scanner but DO NOT enable the trial or the realtime protection.  Your computer can not handle it.  Simply use it periodically to scan your computer for malware and remove whatever it finds.

Lastly, and probably the best virus prevention - update your system!  Install all missing windows updates and update your third party products.  Java, Flashplayer, and Adobe Reader namely.  For faster and more reliable internet browsing install and use Google Chrome.

If there are no hardware issues and you do everything else above there should be no reason your computer does not run phenomenally better because your computer really doesn't look too loaded down with non-sense.  The only other potential issue is a hard drive bottle neck due to some driver or cache setting.

• Ztruker likes this

#22 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

Wow!  That's a very impressive reply, thank you.  I'll get to work on the list and get back to you.  It might take me several days but you'll hear from me soon.

#23 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

I apologize for not getting back sooner but I got bogged down with something before I could take a break from it to work on this.  Then I asked my wife to reply to you (yeah, I'm going to blame her a little bit......hey, it's her computer, lol) but that didn't happen as I found out yesterday.  So this is what I did (in you list order).

The capacitors all looked good to me.  I've seen bad ones before so I thinki I know what I'm looking for, hopefully.

Took off all the stuff you reccommended except Trojan Hunter.  It found 15 trojans before I ever contacted you guys so I wanted to keep that.

I could take off the HP Cue Device Directory.  I got some warning that it would screw some things up if I did.  I can't remember what it was but I needed whatever it was.

She uses Kodak all the time so I left that.

I have not made the switch from McAfee to MS Essentials because I wanted to see how things were going before doing that.

Why did you say to take MalwareBytes off at the top of your instructions and then say add it back near the end of your list?

Finally, I didnt switch her to Chrome.  I'm not a fan of Google and their prying "eyes".

Bottom line:  she's happy with it now.  I don't think it's optimal but it may be it's age as you keep "hinting" at.  So, for now, I think we're good and I'd like to thank you for your help with this.  I know I need to go back to the other forum to remove a bunch of tools.  Do you have anything that you need to remove before I go there?

p.s.  If you think I've made any serious mistakes with my decisions here please let me know.

#24 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Hi.  I'm glad you managed get your system cleaned out and hardware inspected.

In the beginning I said you could take my recommendations or leave them.  That is your choice.

Anytime you leave a program running on a computer, especially if it is an "anti-malware" program it is going to impact the performance of your system.  On an older computer its going to have a much greater impact than on something new.  Everything I listed to remove was either running all the time, causing problems, or just plain not-needed junk.

You activated the real-time protection on MalwareBytes.  Its probably the trial.  I keep forgetting that you can now turn that off quite easily.  But, we used to have to uninstall, run a cleanup tool, then reinstall to get rid of it.  While they improved that, they DID NOT improve the fact that it still tricks you into enabling the trial almost everytime you update the program by leaving the option checked automatically as if it is something you need.  So, the goal here is to disable the realtime protection and use it as a stand-alone on demand scanner.  Unless they've improved it, the malwarebytes realtime scanner makes a huge impact on performance unless you have a new computer.  Make sure you have the newest version of MalwareBytes installed then open the program up and if you are running a trial / expired trial you can click the "End free trial" link which is very small and hard to see (can't imagine why). This will disable the realtime portions running all the time.

HP Cue is hanging up every time you start your computer.  Its a very common problem and will cause significant delays booting your system.  Uninstall it.  These companies are masters at making you think every time you remove their software you're going to break something. They probably said the same thing about the spyware "customer participation program."

You are running Vista.  You can't install anything newer than Internet Explorer 9.  If you are using Internet Explorer 9, Chrome will be massively faster and more reliable.  If you are using Firefox, Chrome will be faster and more reliable.  Its your choice.  You might as well stay off the internet if you don't want somebody tracking what you are doing.

Anyways, I'm glad things are running better for you.  You are welcome for the help.  Be sure to come on back to the forum here and open a new thread if you have other issues.  Take care.