This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Windows boot up process very slow. Bios mode inoperable.

29 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am having an issue with my machine.  I just finished re partitioning my drive and i also installed a new motherboard. I have a completely new windows OS bought brand new that i used to install on my primary drive. The computer seemed to have worked fine, after i installed all the drivers and what not. The machine ran great, i even used capturing, high intensive processes that would normally tax the system but with no issues what so ever. 

 

After about a week of the machine working ok, it started to slow down on the splash page, when booting to windows, in addition to that my keyboard and mouse would stop functioning when the splash screen appear on screen. There for i was not able to go into the bios set up. Currently right now the machine takes bout 10 min before it loads to windows, once it does. Everything seems fine, nothing is slow. But it should not be taking this long to by pass the splash screen. 

 

I am not sure what could be causing this, but my first guess would be RAM. But i don't know, it was never ever doing this prior to installing my new motherboard. 

 

So is there anyway you can diagnose this issue and perhaps give me an idea as to what it might be. The fact that i can't even enter my bios screen really sucks. This actually happened the moment after i installed my windows disk cause i was trying to access a drive and i needed to format it.

 

Note: Speed fan is also reading my temp for my CPU at about 125 degree's C. Well thats impossible i would think, CPU's do not get that hot and the machine would shut down. My guess is its just improperly reading it. My bios told me my temp was around 35 degree's back when i was able to read it.

 

EDIT: Good god i think i figured out the problem, at least with why the OS is not loading. My dvd rom drive is not working. It has power to it, so im able to load and eject disks, but its not recognized by windows. But still that does not explain why my computer is so slow to boot to windows and also why my keyboard is not working during startup.

Well the faulty DVD won't help, and for testing purposes unplug it from the system to see if that helps, because if the DVD is listed as the 1st boot device then it will certainly hang the system trying to look for the info it needs to boot, so unplug that and leave it that way until this is sorted, as to the temp's I agree they have to be incorrect, as you surmised a system would auto shut down by the time it hits 90 degree's at most I would expect, I personally set mine to shut down if it hits 70 degree's, my average temp is 30 ish degree's.

 

Next check out what is set to run at start up, WinPatrol is a brilliant tool that helps take control over such things, as well as more like warning if your hosts file has been altered, so install that then run it, click on the start up tab, and see what is listed in there, see if this helps out, then we can go from there.

 

As to your keyboard and mouse, I'm guessing they are both USB ones, and the system won't see USB devices until it has enabled them, which as you are finding doesn't always happen until the system has pretty much booted, there are 2 quick options here, use a PS2 keyboard to enter the bios and edit it so you can sort a few things, or get\use a USB to PS2 adaptor to use with your keyboard, I always have an old PS2 keyboard at close reach for this very reason, and they are so cheap it's a joke lol, but you need one of these to get into the bios.

Yeah, this is frustrating, after rebuilding my new machine, its just not working like it supposed to. Alright, i will unplug the rom drive from the computer. See if it boots any faster then 

 

My computer should not be running to many background programs. I really did not install that much on the machine. but here is a screen shot of what winpatrol shows.

 

[external image: symakn.jpg]

 

That is very strange because i had my USB keyboard and mouse working before when i was in the bios or system setup of windows. Your saying that you can't run a USB keyboard to access a bios? I never heard of that before, ive been using these keyboards for a while, many years and ive always been able to access my bios and system setup.

There are several items that could be removed from the start up list, but I agree there is not anything there that should have a serious affect on boot times, but if you want to get rid of the ones that most would agree are not needed by the majority, we can do that, if you want to experiment you could disable 1 at a time, then wait a day using it as normal, if all is well that's one you don't need, and repeat down the list, BUT, do NOT disable Avast or WinPatrol, a bit of an obvious statement, but better mentioned to be safe, but the bottom entry that says it doesn't exist, just straight remove that one.

 

I'm not saying you can't enter a bios with a USB keyboard, obviously you can, BUT, back in the day you couldn't, because the USB controller's were not activated until near finishing the boot process, obviously the modern OS's and boards have a different approach, which allow you to do this now, but there is a setting in the bios on boards I have seen that say about Legacy hardware (something like that), and it allows you to enable\disable it dependent on what you need.

 

Once you can access the bios, if you set that to the opposite of what it's currently set too, you should then be able to use the USB keyboard during boot, but it sounds like your only way to do this is to try and borrow a PS2 keyboard if you know someone who has such a thing, or just buy a bargain basement PS2 keyboard, they are so cheap, £3 I have seen them in supermarkets for them, or a USB to PS2 adaptor for £2, whichever way you go it's under £5 at the max, and although it's uncommon these days to need such things, at that price it never hurts to have it as a backup.

Well all be dayam, your right. I unplugged the DVDrom drive and sure enough that is deffinitly what was hanging up the system some how. Now i am able to use my keyboard during the boot up process. Some times, it will post and display "9C" on the bottom right corner and will sit like that for a min or so before it switches "A2" in which case it will proceed to load the splash screen. This is not to much of an issue but im curious as to why its not posting as fast.

 

I also found something else out, after looking at my boot up priorities list, i think i have the wrong thing selected in priotery one and that may also possibly cause slower boot up times.

 

Here is the list i have currently. It is kind of confusing because there are several options that are the Hard drive. I think its supposed to be UEFI though. What ever that means.

 

P1. UEFI hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager

P2. UEFI CD/Dvd

P3. UEFI hard Disk: EEFI: WD 20EABS External 

P4. UEFI USB Cd/Dvd

P5. UEFI USB KEY

P6. UEFI Network

P7. USB Hard Disk

P8. USB Cd/dvd

P9. Hard Disk: WDC: WD800JD-22JNAO

P10. CD/DVD

P11. USB

P12. USB Floppy

p13. Network

 

I also wanted to note that it takes a bit longer to load the desktop, once windows loads, that might be due to some of the background programs i am running at start up. I should probably disable some of these like network manager, fast boot and sound blaster cinema.

 

So i need to plug back in my cd/dvd rom drive but im afraid it will hang up the system again, cause its apparently its the culprit, do you think it might be a faulty rom drive or that the priorety system is causing this.

Yep, DVD drives that are either faulty, or that have a non OS\boot disk in, will confuse it, and cause system hangs while it try's to figure it all out, so if the drive has a disk in it, remove it and see if it happens again, if it does with no disk then you may need a new DVD drive, again fortunately they are very cheap these days, but once we can get your booting sorted then we can add the drive back on, and see if it reads\writes to disk, both DVD and CD, if it fails to read\play media disks of both sorts, or just 1 of the 2 types, then it is a new drive you need.

 

Now for boot order what I would do is set P1. UEFI hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager as the 1st device, making sure under drive priority's that the OS drive is set as 1st (it should be already looking at your list, but worth double checking, but then disable the rest listed in the boot options menu, once we get the DVD drive sorted that could be enabled as a 2nd boot device, should there ever become a need for any other type such as the USB option (P5. UEFI USB KEY), you can go into the bios and enable that option if needed, but there is no need for these to be enabled unless they are specifically needed, it's just more for the system to be dealing with.

 

As to your code, if you can give us the make\model of the motherboard, including if it is a specific revision, then I can look closer, but a quick search suggests it is related to USB things, if you disable all as I suggested above my guess is that message will stop coming up, but we can look further if need be if you give this extra info, hopefully you will be getting there now.

 

I am unsure as to the benefits of the Fast Boot entry, so I suggest as I did previously, disable these items 1 at a time, and run for a day or so before touching any others, as we have no way to know if some of these may be beneficial or not, but all the sound options (Creative and Realtek) can safely be removed, probably the printer, although I suggest testing if it does all you need after disabling it before removing it, just incase it's needed for say mobile printing or something, if it reacts normally then it should be safe to remove.

 

The Super-Charger and the USB options again I am unsure about, they are to do with plugging in USB3 devices (the USB entry's anyway), which means faster transfer speed to USB3 devices, I just don't know how removing these may affect this, so disable and test is my suggestion, we could possibly move them into the delayed start up if needed to remove the initial load time, so see if any of this helps, and go from there.

 

*edit

Just saw your edit, as I just covered this see what happens when doing this, but when you add it back, enter the bios and make sure it hasn't made itself the 1st boot device, with luck it will boot fine like it, if not then it time for a new drive.

hmm, well its doing it again. Its not taking long to load to the splash screen but the keyboard is not working during that boot up process so i can't go into the bios. Funny though how if i let it load to advanced bootup options, it works fine there. Just not at the splash screen. Is there any other way to access the bios mode.

 

I went ahead and disable as many start-up programs as i can, sure enough the deskloads very fast now but its not going to do anything bout the keyboard issues.I do want to fix this though. But i need to be able to access my bios so i can change my boot priorities and then try plugging back in my Rom drove. Any suggestions at this point?

Well if this is happening with the DVD drive connected again, then it's almost certainly something wrong with it, so if booting with the DVD drive connected it's time to unplug it from the PC, then if all works well without it, it would appear to be the problem, the fastest way to check is if you have a spare DVD drive stick that in and connect it, then boot (checking it hasn't made itself the 1st boot device, and if it fires up without issue then you need to buy a new drive, that's the only thing I can suggest, as the system only plays up when it's connected, it's the only conclusion I can come too, hope this gets you sorted.

no, you misunderstood. I currently do not have my DVD rom drive connected and its still causing the issue. It isn't slow any more, its booting actually quite fast compared to how it was when i did have my dvd rom drive connected. BUT. It is not allowing me to access my bios mode. Some times it works, some times it doesn't thats the best i can tell you.

 

I will try and connected a PS2 keyboard and see if that helps any.

Ah sorry, I thought you had connected it again, try using a different USB port, maybe the case's port if it has one on top or the front, I am wondering if the USB ports may be the problem here, so try another port on the board, and try a case port as well, if the case connection is working fine, then the USB ports on the board "may" be the problem perhaps ?

I know my old computer had serous USB issues, part of the reason why i got another motherboard, but that should be fixed now. I don't have it plugged into a case port, it.s plugged into the motherboard port. In fact i know my USB's work better now because when i hooking up my video capture card, it was not disconnecting like it was consistently on my old motherboard.

 

It seems it works ok when i plug in a PS2 port to the keyboard then i just switch from that to a USB and reset the machine. I guess it recognizes it that way. I am going to plug in my Dvdrom drive now though and see how it operates.

 

 

Edit: Ok i got the rom drive plugged in. I went to the bios with no issues the first time, how ever subspequent tries, it tends to hang up and the keyboard won't work. But when i plug in a PS2 keyboard, it works every time. I finally disabled all of my priorities as of now and i have the windows boot manager as 1st priority and the Cd/dvd ROM as 2nd. Now one thing i need to ask you, is there are two options for Cd/DVD rom. One is Cd/dvd ROM and the 2nd is "Cd/DVD ASUS: DRW - 24BIST   C" I am not sure which one to use. I know my ROM drive is an asus, but right now i just have it under the normal Cd/dvd rom tag.

 

 

 

EDIT 2: Ok so i fixed the problem with the Rom drive not being recognized by windows, apparently the SATA cable i had it plugged into was one from the case and it wasn't working. So i plugged one directly into the motherboard and then into the drive, and sure enough it worked fine when loading to windows. How ever. there is still the issue of it loading bootable disks. I tried like 4 or 5 times and it wouldn't load it even once. So what i did was i switched the priorities, from P1. To cd/dvd Asus and P2 to windows boot manager. Sure enough after doing that, it loaded finally and i was able to enter the windows set up. How ever i still need a PS2 keyboard from time to time cause the machine does seem like its hanging up still. 

 

Now my conclusion to this, would possibly there could be a USB driver issue? That would explain why the controller is being some what slow and its unable to recognize the computer during the boot up sequence. The other thing, possibly might be ram. That would also explain why some times, it hangs up during its post process and some times does not load the windows set up. I don't know. I am just throwing idea's out there. But either way its still having issues and those are the two things i can think of.

 

EDIT 3: Well after installing new USB 3.0 drivers, it still seems to hang up some how. Its not to bad, because everything is recognized in windows and as long as i have a PS2 keyboard handy, im fine. But i am concerned that if its an issue, it might get worse and eventually stop working. I would like to solve this as soon as i can. Also my Power SW for the audio, that gives sound to its boot up process is disconnected. I have to get another jumper for it to fir that problem but that should not have any bearing on the computer unable to boot up correctly.

ugh, omg. I accidentally deleted the Primary system files on my HD and now i have to re install windows on my C drive. So now everything is from complete scratch, only i kept my files that i had installed into a windows Old folder, so i can re install everything again.

 

Another issue i seem to have was related to a hard disk being Open? That is the message i got displayed on screen when i was in the process of installing my windows. I have no idea what that means, i don't think they are taking bout the rom drive cause its closed and its not open. It displayed the number of the hard disk. 

 

Now finally i am installing my motherboard drivers, again! Low and behold, after the network drivers installed, HD 5 and HD 1 did not load. I really have no idea what is causing this. I am kind of disgusted at this point. I just went and spent all this money buying new parts for my pc, but apparently something is not working correctly and its some how related to USB.

 

 

If you can't figure this out, could you possibly relay this message to doug or someone that has more advanced support that might be able to solve this issue, or at least give me some idea's.

 

 

EDIT: Well after i think maybe i installed to many drivers at once before rebooting and it may of caused a conflict, because the network driver wasn't working either. SO i re installed all of my drivers again, rebooting after each attempt this time and everything seemed to have installed correctly. Oh and i think i may of found out what was causing the sever loading times. I had 7 drives plugged into my computer. When i unplugged them all, suddenly the booting process sped up considerably. It is strange though because prio to installing this new motherboard, i did not have this issue before. It only happened after i build this machine with a new CPU and mobo. But in any case, as long as i keep my drives unplugged, the booting process is almost instant like it should be.

TBH it's hard to follow what's going on here, if you could list your full spec, including PSU (specifically make\model\power), then given your situation it may be easier to start from the ground up, adding back a bit at a time, what I am unclear about is if you have an external DVD drive, if you could clarify when you tell us what your spec, but given all your issues it seems to always come back to the USB ports each time, also mention the DVD drive, if it fit's with the name above then that's the one I'd use, but if in doubt stick with CD\DVD, once I know what your working with things will be a bit clearer.

 

Once I know your spec it may show a weak spot, but once we start trying to build it up unplug ALL USB plugs, other than the mouse and keyboard that is, I'm wondering if you have enough power, or if you may have got a bad board, I don't suppose you have access to a PSU tester ort meter by any chance ?

 

You have done the right thing in rebooting after every install, it just rules out issues there when trying to troubleshoot, the USB drivers are supplied by the OS, the USB drivers you are installing are for the USB3 ports, and a quick silly question, when putting the plugs in you did make sure the USB plugs for the case went into the correct socket ?

I'm wondering if you may have connected the case USB ports to the USB3 socket, in which case if the case ports are not USB3 capable, it may be possible this could be where the problem lies maybe ?

Ok i think you may of stumbled onto something here. I never had a computer with USB 3.0 controllers, this is my first one but i always thought that 2.0 and 3.0 supports backwards functionality.

 

I have a JUSB3, JUSB2 and JUSB1 ports on my motherboard. My case is kind of old, it doesn't support USB3 connectors, only USB2. But my motherboard how ever is fully USB3 compatible, it has 4 ports that are USB3 directly on the back of the motherboard, in addition to that, it comes with a USB3 card, with an additional 2 ports that is plugged into the motherboard, (with  a cable that can attach on the back of the card to the mobo, which i did not have plugged in. But for some reason it was still working to some degree.). For USB 2.0. I have two. I have one that is a card, that is just plugged directly in (no cables required), then the other 2.0 cables are the mouse and the keyboard, but no cables for it cause its part of the mobo.

 

Trying to not make this confusing. But from what you said, yes i had my USB 2.0 cables (card) connected to a USB3 port, IN which some of my devices were plugged into those sockets on the back of my computer. that right there is probably the reason behind everything. Now if im understanding this, JUSB3 is for USB 3.0 compliant devices only, is that correct? That means JUSB2, and JUSB1 are both for standard usb 2.0 controllers.

 

Now for the 4 USB 3.0 ports on the back of the motherboard, i didn't see any cable that you use to plug that in. So im assuming its just as it is. with no cable attachments. With that being said, out of all the plugins, i should only have to plug in the one USB 3.0 card with an attached cable to the USB3 port on the motherboard. If there is another cable for the other 4 sockets, but i didn't see one.

 

Now to give you some more information so you can better assist me here.

 

These are the products i purchased.

 

First my motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130692

 

Here is my Case:

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&cm_re=Antec_Black_Case-_-11-129-021-_-Product

 

 

 

 

 

Now with that being said, when i opened my machine, i saw one plug connected into the USB3, that was the card that i had with the additional 2 usb 3.0 ports. Then i had another plug, plugged into the USB2 connector, which if im understanding this, the USB3 is the 3.0 ports and the USB2, USB1, are both 2.0? Is that about right?

Right just looked at your manual, and you need to connect the cases USB plug into the bottom sockets on the board (there are 3 of them), next to where all the small wires to do with power etc. that is your USB2 connection points for the case etc., if you have plugged the case into the socket on the side of the board, near where the big power cable goes, then that "could" be the cause of this, and if it is in there, take it out and plug it into the bottom socket (taking proper safety steps), if this means you have something with nowhere to go, just leave it out for the moment laying it safely away from fans and the like.

 

As to compatibility, that is way above me as to giving a proper answer, BUT, I can tell you that indeed if you plug a USB2 device into a USB3 port, it will work just fine as it is backward compatible, I would not like to say about USB1 devices though, I believe they "should" work, but it wouldn't surprise me if some had issues, but ultimately they just work at their speeds, not the USB3 speed as they are not capable of it.

 

But connecting a USB2 case lead to a USB3 socket I don't know what that may throw up in the way of problems, but I would not use it that way, even if only it being a waste, but some case makers have USB3 upgrade parts, where you can swap out your current USB2 ports and put in USB3 ones.

 

The sockets fixed on the board that goes against the I\O plate that shows through the back of the case, those are directly connected to the board, so are good to go without any messing, but you need to install the USB3 drivers etc. and if there is a bios entry then enable it in there, that will get the max out of the USB3 ports when used appropriately, but will run USB2 devices fine, but I still say unplug ALL devices that are not needed to see if that helps.

 

Now if you have a card, and that has a lead on it with a plug, then that would need plugging into the socket on the front edge near the big loom plug, I believe that's what it would need to run at full potential, of course this means you sacrifice any front connection if you upgraded the case ports, so you would need to choose what is the most useful to you, assuming there are upgrades for your case ports.

 

Personally I'd never get an MSI board, I've seen a fair bit of bad press about them, but if you dig deep enough you will find the others have their days as well, but what are you running this kit with (PSU) ?

As a unit not man enough will cause all kinds of problems up.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI