This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Very slow, freezes, Windows Update will not update, 25 suspicious host

69 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi NoNo,

[external image: bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif] Reset Windows Update Components=========================

Reboot when you are done, and try again to update.

Hi- I followed the link and ran MicrosoftFixit. It showed 3 issues fixed and the following:

 
Windows Update error 0x8024402C  Not Fixed
Problems installing recent updates    Not Fixed
 
Issues checked/Not Run:
Windows Update environment variables are incorrect   Checked
Restore Windows Update environment variables           Not Run
Corrupt Patch Registry keys                                          Checked
Fixing patch registry problems                                       Not Run
Windows Update services are not running                     Checked
Register files required for Windows Update                   Not Run
Cryptographic service components are not registered  Checked
Register cryptographic service components                  Not Run
 
I rebooted and ran Windows Update. 30 sec later, I recieved a message, "Windows could not search for new updates" 
Errors found: Code 80070BC9, Windows encountered an unknown error. 
 
I clicked 'Try Again", 3 seconds later, I received the same old message I had been receiving before "Restart to install important updates"  Most Recent check for updates- Never (weird being that I had just checked) 
 
-NoNo

Hi NoNo,

Ok, let's try this remedy.

How To Fix Windows Update Error 80070BC9

When attempting to install Windows Updates, your computer may show the Windows Update error 80070bc9 like the following message:

Some updates were not installed
Error(s) found:
Code 80070BC9 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

[external image: windows-update-error-80070bc9_zpsffb82f8]

The above error is often caused by corrupted Microsoft.net framework. If you want to fix it, follow the steps below:
Close all the antivirus, firewall and other third party software.

From the Microsoft Download Center, install the security update. If the error 80070bc9 pops up, close it.

Download and install the standalone package from the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3965

After installing the standalone package, restart Antivirus, Firewall and other third party software.

Click this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 to reset Windows Update Components.

 

Hi - I have Windows Vista, 32 bit op system. This update says its an Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976098). Supported operating system - Windows 7. Is it the one I should use? 

 

-NoNo

 
 
Hi NoNo,

Lets's check and see if the Windows Update Service is running?
  • Go to the Start [external image: start.jpg] menu, type "services" (without quotes) in the search box
  • Right click the Services [external image: ietoolsbutton.jpg] and select "Run as Administrator"
  • The Services GUI will open. Locate the following service and make sure it is set as indicated:
  • To change the service double click the service then a window will open.
  • Locate the Status section, change to status listed here >> click Apply, next select Start-up Type listed and click OK.
    • Windows Update - Status: Started Start-up Type: Automatic (Delayed Start)
=========================

Hi NoNo,

Turn on Automatic Updating:
To turn on automatic updating automatically, click here, and save the file.
Locate the file and double - click to run.

= = = = = = = = = =

Restart the Windows Update Service:

To do this, follow these steps:

  • Press the Windows logo Key+R to open the Run box.
  • Type services.msc in the Run box, and then press Enter.
  • Right-click Windows Update in the Services management console, and then click Stop.
  • After Windows Update stops, right-click Windows Update, and then click Start.

Wait for Windows Update to start, and then verify that the Windows Update Agent is updated.
 
= = = = = = = = = =

How to check which version of the Windows Update Agent is installed

  • Open the %systemroot%\system32 folder. %systemroot% is the folder in which Windows is installed. For example, the %systemroot% folder is C:\Windows.
  • Right-click Wuaueng.dll, and then click Properties.
  • Click the Details tab, and then locate the file version number.

Note The latest version of the Windows Update Agent for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP is 7.6.7600.256.
 
= = = = = = = = = =
 
If you are able to complete all of these steps, attempt to update Windows

I did all the above and then checked for updates. within 3 seconds a message came back saying I need to restart the computer to check for updates. I did not reboot. Also at the bottom right a box pops up that says I need to restart computer to finish installing updates. It gives me 3 options, 10 min, 1 hr and 4 hrs to postpone restarting. 

Hi NoNo,
 

I did all the above and then checked for updates. within 3 seconds a message came back saying I need to restart the computer to check for updates. I did not reboot.

Why not?
 

Also at the bottom right a box pops up that says I need to restart computer to finish installing updates. It gives me 3 options, 10 min, 1 hr and 4 hrs to postpone restarting.

That just gives you an option of when you would like to reboot in case you need to save any data before doing so.

If you haven't done so yet, please reboot and try and update Windows. If prompted to restart, do so.
Hi- I guess I didnt because that's what it has said ever since it stopped updating correctly. 
I rebooted and computer and it said it was 'configuring updates. 
I ran Windows Update, in 3 sec a message came up saying "Restart your computer to install updates" 
I restarted and comp said it was 'configuring updates'
I ran Windows update, in 3 sec a mess came up saying "Restart to install important updates"
 
Also, Most recent check for updates shows- never
Hi NoNo,

OK, let's do this:

Go to Start > All Programs > Windows Update
Take a screenshot of this and post in your next reply.

On the Windows Update menu you will see a link for "View Update History" Click on this.
Take a screenshot of this menu as well and post it.

Hi NoNo,

That 2nd image shows that you are receiving some updates.

On the second image locate the "Troubleshoot problems with installing updates"

Open Windows Update and click on it, when the windows opens click on the Fix It button and follow the onscreen instructions
Reboot when done and attempt to install updates.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI