This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help problems with my desktop

21 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Most freeware has unwanted add-ons nowadays and I'd forgotten Auslogics has recently started doing that too. Watch out for it on all software installs.

Un-install Auslogics and then re-install, but this time un-tick: "Set Bitable as my home page (browser restart required)" before clicking on the install wizard's "Finish" tab.

 

You don't need to re-load your 2008 computer with "bloatware", so I would avoid the "optional" update software you do not need (especialy the last three).

Hi Lee, thanks for the response.  I was not able to to install the Auslogics yesterday and I tried again today and this time it went to the website but I saw no download for the program.  I also did the browser clean-up from Avast! and it prompted me to do a Google Protection removal bar which I did so it would be able to check the other tool bars and, I restarted my computer again but then the message appeared again but the browser cleaner said no toolbars needed removal.  So, I a not sure if I did it right or what because the Google toolbar is still on my browser. 

 

I wanted to ask also which of these Acer programs are the drivers:

 

Acer Arcade Live Main Page

Acer Assist

Acer DV Magician

Acer DVDivine

Acer eDatasecurity Management

Acer Empowering Technology

Acer ePerformance Mangement

Acer GameZone Console Dtv 2.0.1.1

Acer HomeMedia

Acer HomeMedia Connect

Acer HomeMedia Trial Creator

Acer Registration

Acer ScreenSaver

Acer Slideshow DVD 

Acer VideoMagician

 

I know the Games can be deleted about I am not sure about anything else

OK, leave the google toolbar in place if needed. What browser are you using, Chrome?

 

I thought you had already downloaded Auslogics (?)

If you deleted the original download, return to the link above and click on the big green "download" tab.

Download to desktop and if any problems with the download, try your IE browser if you were using Chrome.

 

All the Acer software mentioned can be removed. No driver software, just  bloatware!

Hi Lee, no when I first tried to download it yesterday I clicked the link you gave me it it open up the page but it said internet explorer could not open the page I went to another website to see if it was something wrong with the internet in general but the web page loaded.  I was using IE when I started the download.  Today I tried it again and it went to the page but it showed no download link.  The page says Download Auslogics Disk Defrag Free the release notes and useful links at the bottom that is all i see.Za

 

ETA: I tried the link again twice but it still showed no download for it on IE, so i went to Chrome and clicked on the link again to see if it would come up and it showed the green download now button and the orange  Learn More button it does not show this when I click on the link in IE.  I think something is wrong with my IE because when I close it now it never closes I have to log off for it to close.  So, should I go ahead and download from chrome or wait until I can fix Internet Explorer?

Just tried that download link myself and it does indeed take you to another page asking you to sign up for their newsletter (confusing)!

 

Download Austogics directly from here FILEHIPPO

Hi I just tried the link and it seemed to work but then I received a message saying this program may not installed correctly and, I clicked on reinstall using recommended settings then I received a message from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware saying Non-Malware program had been quarantined.  What should I do now?

Go to "setting" in Malwarebytes, then look at "quarantined", click on Auslogics  (right-click maybe?) and then select "restore".

Change settings to "ask" rather than auto-quarantine.

Ok I went to settings they don't have a quarantined section that seems to be under history but, I checked the check mark beside the item and then clicked restore.

 

 I received this message:

 

unable to restore quarantined item C:

\Users\User\AppData\Local\temp\n7230\s7230.exe: The system cannot find the path specified

Just tried that download link myself and it does indeed take you to another page asking you to sign up for their newsletter (confusing)!

 

Download Austogics directly from here FILEHIPPO

 

the original link :- http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

when the download button is clicked, yes it does take you to another page where you may sign up for their newsletter, BUT it should also start a download of the program, the file is named "disk-defrag-setup.exe" if it doesn't automatically start the download then you just click on the click here link near the top.

 

Thank you for downloading Auslogics Disk Defrag Free! If your download doesn't start, please click here

 

no need to do anything else on that page, especially not sign up for the news letter.

 

now as to the filehippo link and download that file too should be named "disk-defrag-setup.exe" so i'd be really careful about un-quarantining the file you downloaded called s7230.exe because i really have no idea what it is or where it came from.

 

unable to restore quarantined item C:

\Users\User\AppData\Local\temp\n7230\s7230.exe: The system cannot find the path specified

probably a very good thing.

 

i might just being overcautious but i really don't like it when someone says to un-quarantine a file without first checking exactly what that file is, personally i know nothing about file s7230.exe so i'd definitely would have left that file quarantined.

i suggest you go to the malware part of our forum and get your pc tested for malware here :- http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=27 post the required logs and also a link to this topic so anyone helping you can see what's already been suggested and done, don't do anything else on that pc before the expert says it is clean of malware. for all i know you where redirected to a bad download link by malware or something on your pc to get that s7230.exe file, so i think it's better to play it safe than be sorry later.

 

it might be nothing to worry about but then again i'm a paranoid linux user who just likes to double check when strange things happen that i think shouldn't. :rofl:

 

:popcorn:

i might just being overcautious but i really don't like it when someone says to un-quarantine a file without first checking exactly what that file is, personally i know nothing about file s7230.exe so i'd definitely would have left that file quarantined.

 

 

Terry,

I agree with you but before I gave that "un-quarantine" advice I had downloaded the file myself and installed the program from the link I supplied.

No problems :thumbup:

 

I have used FileHippo update checker for all my programs for many years. It's fast, always and only ever offers downloads directly from the program source with no "extras"!

 

FileHippo is a is highly respected download site.

It cuts through all the download carp** that's becoming increasingly standard practice (like original program source sites asking you to sign-up  for things or download what you don't want or need etc.) and only offers the lastest freeware programs, no confusing carp**-a-round involved.

 

I fully realise that the original Ozlogics link did not require signing-up for a newsletter,  but it certainly 'stalled' the download enough to let one think they did and maybe sign up!  Blatently obvious to a tech (not to everyone), but it's an annoying habit. Mildly so in this instance, but try getting to a program download on Cnet as a worse case scenario  (like going into a supermarket for one item and coming out with a trolly full of stuff and a glazed look in your eyes)!

 

HMH22 has already been caught out in this thread with the above sort of smoke and mirror misdirection (PC Pitstop), So I supplied a definate and safe direct link to the lastest version of Ozlogics. It has become increasingly obvious that there is somthing wrong with HMH22's  settings on his PC in general as I have never had an issue with my Melwarebytes (pro version) quarantining a program downloaded from FileHippo. His browsers are not acting as they should either.

just been re-reading the thread and was curious, did you install all the windows updates? this should have been the first thing for you to have done in my opinion, and should definitely be done if not already as soon as the malware expert says your pc is clean.

 

:popcorn:

 

yes not saying the links you provided were bad lee, but that s7230.exe file was strange and couldn't find any info about it on the internet which is even stranger so got me to wondering if there may be something going on in the background we're not aware of, like malware causing web browser redirects.

This is an old, and never been updated Vista PC. The settings are probably all over the place with possible melware having a good time in the background! 

 

Things are looking a bit sick, as what a lot of messing around for a simple Ozlogics install and even Melwarebytes seems totally confused :smack:

 

Maybe what's eventualy needed here (and starting to look that way) is returning to a factory restore and then doing all the windows updates.

Yes I did the first 3 Window Updates but I did it after I had asked about it in the thread.  Lee I hope you don't feel like I was doubting you or 8210GUY and terry1966 I took in everything you all said in consideration when figuring out how I should proceed.  I do think there are alot of problems going on with this computer and that maybe there is some form of malware on the pc. I will deal with this first and come back for help I hope to receive info from all 3 of you if your still willing to help me once I have them look it over in the other forum.

 

Thank you all for your help

 

ETA I had just went to look at my computer properties and I noticed I had Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista should I go ahead and upgrade this now or wait to see it I have any malware?

As suggested by Terry, the Melware check-up is a good idea and then get back to us.

 

If the PC is melware "clean", well then I'll worry about your PCs general behavior! :smack:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI