Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Wife' PC has just started to be unable to access internet [Closed]

PC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#16 curlythurly

curlythurly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

At first, conection to wb sites was instantaneous; then almost strightaway, web site connection "hangs". Now I can get homepage slowly but after that any other attempt "times out". The PC, (2) is ethernet connected to a hub that has another ethernet connection to another PC, (1). which is working perfectly.

I did remove AVG before starting all this, (see original post), but I cannot reinstall it, (times out). I have a slo treid installing Mc Affe, but it says that it cannot be installed because there are "Threats" on PC2. PC2 shows that here is a good intnet connection to the hub but again McAffee says that there is a problem with the internet connection.

Should I just reinstall Windows 7?

regards

curly thurly

I have managed to update MBAM and the log is attached. The PC2 will not download ESET and I cannot se how to do this from PC1

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 curlythurly

curlythurly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

Log attached

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2014.05.30.05

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.17107
Administrator :: MAUREEN [administrator]

30/05/2014 12:24:30
MBAM-log-2014-05-30 (13-16-13).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 365398
Time elapsed: 46 minute(s), 37 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 4
C:\Program Files (x86)\Check Point Software Technologies LTD\zonealarm\1.6.7.4\zonealarmApp.dll (PUP.Optional.Montera.A) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Check Point Software Technologies LTD\zonealarm\1.6.7.4\zonealarmEng.dll (PUP.Optional.Montera.A) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Check Point Software Technologies LTD\zonealarm\1.6.7.4\zonealarmTlbr.dll (PUP.Optional.Montera.A) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Check Point Software Technologies LTD\zonealarm\1.6.7.4\bh\zonealarm.dll (PUP.Optional.Montera.A) -> No action taken.

(end)

#18 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hi curlythurly,

The PC, (2) is Ethernet connected to a hub that has another Ethernet connection to another PC, (1). which is working perfectly.

Have you tried swapping Ethernet cables?

Should I just reinstall Windows 7?

I don't think it is a Windows issue. It sounds more like a router issue.

The PC2 will not download ESET and I cannot se how to do this from PC1

ESET is an online scanner that has to run from the infected PC, it is not a downloadable tool to run. So hold off on that for right now.

OCD

Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

#19 curlythurly

curlythurly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

OCD

Swapped and changed cables. also connected wirelessly. Still PC 2 does not access internet, (but hangs on lading).

PC2 says that it is connected, (icon on bar at bottom), and Router/hub details show that PC2 is connected. I am sure that the problem lies in malwre on PC2

regards

Curlythurly

#20 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hi curlythurly,

PC2 says that it is connected, (icon on bar at bottom), and Router/hub details show that PC2 is connected. I am sure that the problem lies in malwre on PC2

• What other symptoms are you experiencing that lead you to this conclusion?
  • When PC2 says it is connected can you access anything related to being online, such as email? Or will it just not open a browser?
  • Which browser do you use?
  • Have you tried other browsers?
  • Have you tried visiting multiple websites to check connection status?
  • Try disabling the Firewall and see if you can access the internet. (don't forget to re-enable the firewall)
=========================

Since you are unable to get PC2 on the internet you will need to download this tool to a usb/flash drive and transfer to PC2. Be sure to place it on the desktop.

bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif ComboFix

Refer to the ComboFix User's Guide
  • Download ComboFix from the following location:

Link

* IMPORTANT !!! Place ComboFix.exe on your Desktop
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with ComboFix.
    You can get help on disabling your protection programs here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Your desktop may go blank. This is normal. It will return when ComboFix is done. ComboFix may reboot your machine. This is normal.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply

Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Ensure your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications are re-enabled.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NOTE: If you encounter a message "illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion" and no programs will run - please just reboot and that will resolve that error.

In your next post please provide the following:
    • Answer to questions.
    • Combofix.txt

OCD

Member of UNITE

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

#21 curlythurly

curlythurly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

OCD Thaks

Answers to your questions;-

• What other symptoms are you experiencing that lead you to this conclusion? Slow or non existanet acces to web sites. Attewmpting to download McAfee anti virus rfuses to load as there are "threats on existing software " When I can access internet I get a download speed of 36.6 mb. Other devises connected to the Hub, (pc1, Sonos, smart tv, NAS) all work
  • When PC2 says it is connected can you access anything related to being online, such as email? Or will it just not open a browser? cannot access email or web sites. Icon in system tray says that I am connected to the Internet; as does the "computer" HUb/Router also says that PC2 is connected
  • Which browser do you use?Firefox
  • Have you tried other browsers?  Yes Used IE with same result
  • Have you tried visiting multiple websites to check connection status. Yes cannot access any web sites. The "timeout"

Combofix refuses to complete; it gets as far as stage 8 and then hangs.

I am now getting more severe problems; chkdsk runs whn I start computer, soemtimes the Internet acces icon in system tray now shows internet not connected, (and sometimes shows connected). Aso blue screen

I belive that I have to totally reinstall windows. and will rgretfully sign off. THanks for all your help; I will make a donation

curlythurly

#22 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Hi curlythurly,

I belive that I have to totally reinstall windows. and will rgretfully sign off. THanks for all your help; I will make a donation

Are you sure you would like to take the route to reinstall Windows? There are some other steps we can try to see if we can solve the problem.

Please advise me what course of action you would like to take.
OCD

Member of UNITE

#23 curlythurly

curlythurly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:12 AM

Thanks

What else can I do?

regards

#24 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hi curlythurly,

What else can I do?

Reinstalling Windows 7 will require you to have back ups of all your data (programs, files, photos etc) so as not to lose anything of value. Over time systems do become unresponsive due to corrupt files. Before taking such an extreme step we have a few options to verify the integrity of the system. Lets make sure that is not the case before resorting to a full reinstall.

bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif Chkdsk in Vista/7

You must run the command prompt as an administrator or in an "elevated mode".
  • Start menu, in the search bar type "cmd"
  • Right-click the cmd icon, select "run as administrator"
    • If you have user account control (UAC) set up it may prompt you to accept that action.
  • Then type in "chkdsk /r" (make note of the space between chkdsk and /)

bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif To view results log:
  • Open the Start Menu, and type eventvwr.msc in the search box and press enter.
  • If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes (Windows 7) or Continue (Vista).
  • In the left pane of Event Viewer, double click on Windows Logs to expand it, then right click on Application and click on Find.
  • Copy and paste Chkdsk into the line, and click on Find Next.
  • You will now see the system log for the scan results of Check Disk (chkdsk).
  • In the right had menu select copy, open notepad and paste the chkdsk results into notepad
  • Post in your next reply.

OCD

Member of UNITE

#25 curlythurly

curlythurly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

OCD,

Thanks.

New problems.

PC booted, then said that it had not closed properly, then gave "Blue" screen,

then restarted, then it ran chkdsk automatically, then shut down, restart only gives mouse arrow, and black screen.

I think things have gone too far to do anything alse other than re install W 7

regards

Curly Thurly

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Hi curlythurly,

then restarted, then it ran chkdsk automatically, then shut down, restart only gives mouse arrow, and black screen.

Did you try rebooting after the black screen?

I think things have gone too far to do anything alse other than re install W 7

If you would like to attempt another diagnostic scan complete the steps below.

bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif System File Checker (SFC)
  • Click on the Start button and in the Search programs and files box type the following:
    • command
  • Don't press Enter, just let the search results populate above.
  • In the search results, locate the Programs section.
  • Locate the Command Prompt shortcut and right-click on it.
  • Select Run as administrator.
  • Click Yes on the User Account Control window that appears.
  • Important: If you see a User Account Control window but also a message that says To continue, type an administrator password, and then click Yes, then your user account must be a standard account, not an administrator account. Before you can click Yes and open an elevated command prompt, you'll need to type the password of another user on your Windows 7 computer that has administrator level privileges.
  • Note: You will not see this window at all if your User Account Control settings are turned all the way down. See How To Disable User Account Control in Windows 7 for more information.
  • An elevated Command Prompt window will appear.
    • Type: sfc /scannow (There's a space between sfc and /scannow.) , then hit Enter
  • Let the check run to completion. DO NOT reboot the PC or close the cmd window.
  • Copy & Paste the following command at the Command Prompt and press Enter:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
  • This will place a file on your desktop called sfcdetails.txt which contains the results of the scan.
  • Copy and Paste the contents of the file into your next post.
  • After the scan runs type exit to close the command prompt window

In your next post please provide the following:
  • sfcdetails.txt

OCD

Member of UNITE

#27 curlythurly

curlythurly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

OCd,

Computer only starts in Safe mode..

In safe mode, typing "Command" only brings up "control computer without mouse or keyboard"

I give up

thanks very much for trying and all the efforts that you have made

regards

Curlythurly

#28 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Hi curlythurly,

I give up

There are still other options, would you like to try them? If so, continue.

bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif Last Known Good Configuration

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
(read through the steps before starting)

• Remove all floppy disks and CDs from your computer and then restart your computer.
  • Restart your computer.
  • When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows 7 Advanced Options menu.
  • Select the option for Last Known Good Configuration using the arrow keys.
  • Then press enter on your keyboard.

Let me know the results of the procedure.

OCD

Member of UNITE

#29 curlythurly

curlythurly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

ONC

When I do this i get   a window saying "Please select boot device" with options P4;P1 Enter set up or ESc for defaults

curly thurly

#30 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Hi curlythurly,

P4 & P1 are going to be related to your boot devices. One being your CD/DVD ROM drive the other being your hard drive. Your hard drive is the one we want to select to boot from the Last Known Good Configuration. But obviously your asking which is which. That takes us to our next step.
  • You will need to reboot again, but this time tap the F2 key at start-up. This will take you to the BIOS Setup Utility.
  • Once the BIOS menu loads use the arrow keys on your keyboard and navigate to the Boot menu.
  • In the Boot menu expand the Boot Priority Sequence, you should see the boot sequence.
  • Locate your hard drive in the boot menu. Based on the information you provided the hard drive should be either 1 or 4 in the boot priority. (make note of which one it is).
  • Use the arrow keys to Exit the BIOS menu.
Next reboot as before tapping the F8 key, and select the Last Known Good Configuration, when prompted for select the appropriate option (P1 or P4)
Follow any onscreen instructions to complete the process.
When it is finished, reboot back into Normal Mode and post results.
OCD

Member of UNITE