Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91983 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Newer computer with some bugs [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#46 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

cabinover,

Sounds good.  :thumbup:  Let me know how it goes and we'll address any issues tomorrow.

OCD

Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#47 cabinover

cabinover

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi OCD,

It seems I've figured out the magic combination somehow. Probably last night when I was just slightly uhhhhh....let's say upset. :rant2:

I put my external HD back in the mix and all has been well so far. Why? Beats me!

I guess you can go ahead and claim this one a victory for the good guys now.

Many thanks and we'll try to keep this one as is.

One more question about the restore point that doesn't exist. Can I fix that again?

#48 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hi cabinover,

I'm glad things seem to have settled down for you. :banana:

One more question about the restore point that doesn't exist. Can I fix that again?

The reason you had no Restore Points is because one of the clean up steps was to remove the old restore points. We do this because if the infection corrupted the restore points it would just reinfect your computer should you roll back to one of the infected points. Your system will create new restore points going forward. The issues you were having since the clean up weren't malware related so I wouldn't worry about removing the recently created ones. If you would like to create a new restore point her are instructions:

Set a System Restore Point in Windows Vista/7

• Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
  • In the left pane, click System Protection. (If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation).
  • Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
  • In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Post back with any other questions. I will keep the thread open for a few days, or until you say it's good to close.

OCD

Member of UNITE

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

#49 cabinover

cabinover

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hi OCD,

I went in to check if my system restore point stayed and it looks like it was never created. I'll try again and let you know tomorrow.

#50 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:13 AM

Hi cabinover,

Make sure System Restore is enabled.

To Turn ON System Restore Windows 7

• On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Click the Configure button
  • Under Restore Settings, select "Restore system settings and previous versions of files"
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.

OCD

Member of UNITE

#51 cabinover

cabinover

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

I did manage to set a manual restore point. Thank you for the help on that.

Now on to the next problem that may be related to all of this. My external HD, F:, is messed up. I tried to access it with Foobar media player and it's saying the disc needs to be formatted. I don't want to lose a ton of music that took me days to rip in lossless format.

I've done some digging and found iCare data recovery. I hope this is OK to use and hopefully I can save all the data. It's found a bunch of files so I'm hopeful the data isn't lost.

#52 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hi cabinover,

I'm glad you were able to get the Restore Point set. :thumbup:

In regards to your external hard drive issue I'm afraid I cannot offer you much in the way of guidance as I don't have much knowledge in this area.

Have your tried:
  • Accessing your files with a different media player?
  • Plugging the external drive into another computer?
As for the iCare Data Recovery software. If your hard drive does in fact need to be reformatted does iCare support the file type you need?
OCD

Member of UNITE

#53 cabinover

cabinover

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

I guess we're done here OCD. I lost all of the data on my external HD. Good thing I own all of the discs I guess.

Thanks for all of your help. Will return should I fall prey to more bad computer things in the future.

#54 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Hi cabinover,

Sorry you weren't able to save the data on your external drive.

I will mark the thread as solved. Glad I was able to help. :thumbup: Have a great day.

OCD

Member of UNITE

#55 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.
OCD

Member of UNITE

Advertisements

Register to Remove