This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Issues with picture files after malware/virus fake flash updater

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=128008

 

 

Originally Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:01 PM in the spyware/malware/virus forum

Went through the removal process with Marius.

Seeking help for original problem with photos no longer displaying…

 

————————————————————

 

Hi, and Thank You for any help that may be offered.

 

So, I was on YouTube and in a momentary lapse of consciousness, Clicked the fake flash updater.

Then, when it dissapeared, I went back and clicked it again. :blush:

 

I ended up with a computer that wouldn't boot even to safe mode.

 

I have two laptops, so I researched with the good one and learned some things to try.

I had an emergency boot disc and was able to boot with it, and after much time and trials, seem to have the computer working… albeit with some glitches.

 

Mainly, none of my pictures will display in any 'microsoft' product. ie photo gallery, IE.

Photos will display in Firefox, and Paint -(which I guess is MS).

 

********** In addition to the symptoms I originally listed, Internet Explorer runs really slow…

So, re IE; Pictures don't display, and program runs slow. Takes long time for pages to load.

I've been using Firefox, which runs and operates normally. *************

 

I have lots of photos and many other files which I wish to keep. So many that I'm not sure how to ensure that they are saved if I have to do a reinstall. Even though I have backed up to an external HD.

 

Anyway, I have searched for fix to photo gallery problems without success at restoring viewing functionality.

 

Is there any help for this problem?

 

Thank You

AKA

 

Edit: Modified your link to your malware thread to point to the first post in the thread - Z

 

Edit:   ********** In addition to the symptoms I originally listed, Internet Explorer runs really slow…

So, re IE; Pictures don't display, and program runs slow. Takes long time for pages to load.

I've been using Firefox, which runs and operates normally. *************

XP or W7 or W8?

 

If your picture folder is displayed but no thumbnails are showing inside, try restoring defaults in folder options.

 

 

PS: Also: control panel / internet properties / advanced tab / tick "show pictures" and if nothing I mentioned works,

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

I see you have Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Service Pack 2 (X64). Have you checked Control Panel, Default Programs, Associate a file type or protocol with a program?

 

Scroll down to the various photo extensions like .bmp, .jpg, .png, etc. Make sure they are associated with the program you want to use to open them. Normally this is Windows Photo Gallery.

 

📎VistaFileAssoc.jpg📎VistaFileAssoc.jpg

Thank You Ztruker….

I investigated file associations, and they are/were set properly.

 

Lee, Thank You as well.

I had run sfc once previously re this issue. I did not have the MS KB article at that time so I will run again with this additional info and try to post results.

 

I had run some repair utils' before I sought any help from the forum.

I have some log files from when I first got computer to boot after initial infection.

Would these files be of any help?

 

 

Thank You

AKA

OK, I ran sfc.exe as directed and per instructions.

 

Result produced ;

 

" Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.Log…"

 

I followed the instructions in the kb article, but attempts to access cbs log were unsuccessful.

Command Msg;

" FINDSTR: Cannot open C\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS Log "

" FINDSTR: Cannot open Bean\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt "

 

…I do have a cbs file from a previous run, as mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, and a couple times in the thread with Marius…

Do You have a Vista installation disk?

 

If so, I would cut to the chase and fix the file corruption by doing a Vista Repair Install (depending what type of disc you have, if any), as obviously whatever the  fake flash download contained, it did some windows file damage.

 

A repair install here would obviously be the easiest way home, rather than tracking down and trying to fix the many file issues.

OK Good.

 

But the MS instructions are so convoluted and interwoven with conditions…

 

My original dell os cd is a "Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Prem 64Bit SP1"

 

My current install is SP2 with current updates.

 

So, does this mean I skip the "SP1 Slipstream" procedure entirely?

 

IDK…???   Duh :blush: :scratch: :unsure:

 

Thank You

AKA

OK, another black mark against VISTA it seems because a standard "repair install" doesn't seem possible with the disk you have.

 

 

First and foremost (if you can) try a system restore to a date before you downloaded the cause of the problem.

If that fails to fix things, here you go :-)

 

Read here first about Re-installation DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 64BIT SP1

 

Then jump to here and download, as this is what you need Windows Vista Recovery Disk and Repair Disc Download

 

And finally to here so you know what to do with the download  How to Make a Windows 7 or Vista Repair Disk

Request a Vista ISO with SP1 and SP2 included

I would suggest you backup your data before doing anything else. That way if something goes wrong when you are trying to repair the OS, you won't lose the data:

See here: Emergency Kit - save your files from a dead OS - Windows 7 Help Forums

Post here and ask Peter (Ex_Brit) to send you the link to the versions of Vista you need, 32 or 64. Include your E-mail address mucked up, like   abc at  xyz DOT com  then edit your post and remove it as soon as you receive the link.

The ISO Peter provides has both SP1 and SP2 applied.

Pick up the Tutorial: How to Download a Vista ISO and Create an Installation DVD or USB here:

STEP THREE
To Create Vista Installation DVD or USB Flash Drive with ISO File

During the install, when asked for the key, don't enter it. You will then be given a menu where you can chose the version you want to install.
 

Edit: Before doing that, you could try repairing the component store sfc uses with teh DISM command.

 

Enter the following from an Elevated Command Prompt:

 

To test it: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /scanhealth

 

To fix it: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth

 

Then run sfc /scannow again, see if it finishes.

Hey ZTruker,

 

what are your thoughts re this question…

 

Hey Pete,
Thank You for your help.

Do I need to accept the MEGA 'helper' program that pops up upon initialization of the download?
Download got to 88% and quit, putting me over my alloted data for the month. Now I must redownload same data again…

Any thoughts?

Thank You
AKA

what are your thoughts re this question…

Do I need to accept the MEGA 'helper' program that pops up upon initialization of the download?

 

Definitely not.


 

I tried it with and without the Mega downloader, failed every time so far. Most I got was 69%.

 

I'm going to try later tonight and see if it will make it overnight.

 

I've tried Firefox, Seamonkey and Pale Moon. All start the download but none complete.

 

Not much we can do as I'm sure it's a Mega problem. I wish there was somewhere else to get them from./

You need three files to create the Vista ISO. Most sites are very "iffy" and either don't work at all or give problems.

Download the three 64bit files from here

 

To Create the Vista ISO File go to here which will tell you exactly what to do with the three files.

Do not try to download the three files from this site as the links do not work.

Thank You Lee.

 

I'm not sure if I should use this option as it offers SP1 and I have SP2.

 

Microsoft… What a Drag Man…

 

Thank U

AKA

If you download the 3 main files to create The Vista SP1 - 64bit ISO, you can then download the 64bit SP2 ISO from here. 

Install by itself after burning to disk, or slipstream it if you wish.

 

Unfortunately, in total, Vista file sizes are large regardless of where you get them from.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI