Continued to get error and process fail even in safe mode. While still in safe mode, I did uninstall the AVG Antivirus module. Before I reboot I did notice 3 other AVG items in the programs list from Control Panel but did not want to indescriminately delete without permission. They are:
AVG Technologies Visual Studio 2008 x64 Redistributables
AVG Technologies Visual Studio 2010 x64 Redistributables and
AVG Technologies, CZ s.r.o Visual C++ 8.0 Runtime Set up
Can I remove those as well?
Also what about all these programs we have been downloading and scanning with? May I start to clear them off too or do you have a tool to do that?
Sorry….I misunderstood. Go ahead and remove those additional three entries you noted from your previous post.
From what it looks like, this is not a malware problem at all but a conflict in some software on your system that we need to track down. Once you have those other three entries removed let me know and also how your system is responding.
No problem… When I got up this morning, the installation process failed with the following on the screen:
*Cannot complete the Security Essentials installation
An error has prevented the Securities Essentials setup wizard from completing successfully. Please restart your computer and try again.
Error code 0x8004FFF01
When I go into the programs and features via control panel, I am unable to uninstall the avg items. It gives me a message that takes me back to early posts. There is a problem with the Microsoft Installer. I get that message when I try each of the three avg items.
I then tried to uninstall the ask.com updater from the control panel (it is not a necessary item). I then receive a message that I do not have sufficient access to uninstall Updater. And to contact my administrator. I am not doing this from safe mode so…. I should be able to right?
The version that downloaded is a bit different and things are not happening in the same way that you have stated above. For example step 2 is malwarebytes. Went to step three which is the check disk. I ran a check disk last night and it found errors. When I rebooted and went back to that tab and clicked do it the screen you show in start repairs came up but had alot more options than just those you have selected or show above. What should I do let it fix everything it checked or still just the ones you have selected. There are also alot of windows 8 items.
Ok been having a hard time getting it to run again.. Finally got the program started and am running the system file check at this time. it is taking awhile… it did say that it could take some time but man….. over half hour and still only at 2% verification. I hope it finishes this aspect before I have to leave work.
Update:
Been over another hour and has only moved 1% more.. 3:51pm and at 3%. I need to leave here by 5 pm should I just close the lid and head home that way or should I end the process and run the other procedure first? The check disk one? Once I get home with the hope that will correct some things and then try to run this step again????
Ok….I have been discussing your topic with several of my colleagues (of whom have been reviewing this as well) and have come to the unfortunate consensus that your best bet is going to be to reformat your system. It looks as if there have been too many corrupted files that we just can't get a handle on to even bring it to a point we can attempt to fix. Are you able to work around in your computer at all and save files to disk or USB?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI