Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can download but cannot install -- still infected? [Solved]

Painfully Slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#76 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

I was afraid of that ... I have been running the windows fix since last night.  It has been running for over 17 hours.  It still seems as if it is running.  I have access to a flash drive but do not know how to save the HR Block stuff( those are also listed in program files under control panel not just files) and where their HD Tracks stuff is. Also how can I reformat? I do not have any Widows disks etc.... Would I just reset to factory?  Also How long would that take and could you walk me through it or should I give the computer back and tell them to take it somewhere? 

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#77 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

hello....

#78 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

Sorry for any delay.  

Your HR Block stuff.....tax info?  As long as you have the tax returns themselves saved you should be good.  I use TurboTax and most everything is already saved by them anyway...it is probably the same with HRBlock.  As for HDTunes, I am not sure what that is or where they might save what you are looking for?

Use your USB and see how quickly you are able just to copy a file.  If it takes a long time we may need you to try something different that may be faster.  

Posted Image

#79 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

My main question is this:

Is this something we can do? I have no back up disks etc....

Should I just have them take it somewhere?  I have never done a reformat just factory reset.

#80 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

You can get away with a Factory Reset.  :)  What I am more concerned about is that you are able to get your files that you want saved before any of this is done.  

Posted Image

#81 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

so at this point stop the 'repair' and start saving

#82 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

Yes please begin saving everything that you can off of your system that you want to keep.

Sorry for any delays.....I am having to reinstall my own system as we are going along.  

Posted Image

#83 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Ok almost done with everything.  Went into safe mode to transfer hope that is ok.... things were moving ALOT faster there.  Copying the last of the music files now.  Will then shut down the computer and wait til I get home from work to begin.  Please let me know how you think I should proceed.  For example: Should I delete all those scan programs and the like before I try to begin?

I only hope that we can do this.  From what I am told the user tried to do a system restore before giving it to me and was unable to.  I never really tried that knowing they had not been able to get to that program.  Is there a dos or command prompt way to do this if the interface from within windows does not work? Also do you have an approximate time this could take?  I think when I did mine once it was only a couple of hours start to finish.

User is aware that even this might not work and they will still have to take it to be formatted.  If this fails part way or we cannot get the program to initiate will the computer be left as is currently is (meaning state it is before factory reset attempt) or will it be FUBAR until it gets formatted?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have never worked with such an odd duck of a machine before and am just wondering what to expect.

Thanks again

#84 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

Ready

#85 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

I can find where the system restore is but ther e is no link or anything for factory reset

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#86 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

I have been reading online how to get the factory restore. As I need to get this moving -- sorry but they want the computer back Sunday.  I am a little worried that the instructions are not the giving me the results that I am thinking.  When I did a factory reset on my laptop, it just returned it to the state where it was when I took it out of the box.  These instructions are not leaving me with that in mind.  That I will still have to install drivers etc.... I understand that I will have to reinstall certain software but I thought it still be fully operational after the reset.

#87 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hi,

Seeing as how this is a Dell system correct....Windows Vista....you might find the following link what you need with great step-by-step instructions on how to backup, revert to factory settings and then restore the files.  

Let me know how this goes.   :)

http://www.dell.com/...acy=true#Issue3

Posted Image

#88 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

away we go --- say a little mantra or prayer etc.....

Hope your machine is getting better

#89 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

Jeff,

I think we can close the book on this one.  Probably should have done this all along.  Didn't think it would be such a production that this would have been necessary.  Just finishing up with all the updates.  Windows keeps popping one in just when I think I am done.  I installed Microsoft Security Essentials as the antivirus an put Malwarebytes on as well.  Also installed Firefox as browser.  Will update IE but .... well don't really like that one.  Any last minute suggestions or other things I should do before handing it over?

#90 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

So you got everything back in running order?  Sometimes a fresh start is just what is needed.  I actually just did the same to my own system while we have been working.  

Providing there are no other malware related problems...

This infection appears to have been cleared, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees.  As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.
----------

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

1. Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:

• From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

2. FireFox  If you use Firefox, I recommend installing the following add-ons to help make your Firefox browser more secure:
NoScript
AdBlock Plus 

3. Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis.  With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

4. Firewall
Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.   **There are firewalls that could be downloaded and used but I would personally only recommend using one of the following below:
Online Armor Free
Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free
Comodo Firewall Free

5. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current.  Windows XP users can visit Windows update  regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems.  Without these you are leaving the back door open.

6. WOT (Web of Trust) As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites.  WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.

7. Finally, I strongly recommend that you read Miekiemoes' great advice How to prevent malware.

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.
----------

Posted Image