Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can download but cannot install -- still infected? [Solved]

Painfully Slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#61 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

Continued to get error and process fail even in safe mode.  While still in safe mode, I did uninstall the AVG Antivirus module.  Before I reboot I did notice 3 other AVG items in the programs list from Control Panel but did not want to indescriminately delete without permission. They are:

AVG Technologies Visual Studio 2008 x64 Redistributables

AVG Technologies Visual Studio 2010 x64 Redistributables and

AVG Technologies, CZ s.r.o  Visual C++ 8.0 Runtime Set up

Can I remove those as well?

Also what about all these programs we have been downloading and scanning with? May I start to clear them off too or do you have a tool to do that?

Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#62 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

Still trying to install Microsoft Essentials  Been on the installing screen for 3 hours.

#63 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

Were you able to get AVG completely off your system?  

Posted Image

#64 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

I never got that tool to run and with the exception of those 3 items I stated above I believe I got it.

#65 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Try to uninstall AVG through Control Panel >> Programs and Features.

Posted Image

#66 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Jeff,

I DID that... see above post.

#67 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

Sorry....I misunderstood.  Go ahead and remove those additional three entries you noted from your previous post.

From what it looks like, this is not a malware problem at all but a conflict in some software on your system that we need to track down.  Once you have those other three entries removed let me know and also how your system is responding.

Posted Image

#68 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

No problem... When I got up this morning, the installation process failed with the following on the screen:

*Cannot complete the Security Essentials installation

An error has prevented the Securities Essentials setup wizard from completing  successfully. Please restart your computer and try again.

Error code 0x8004FFF01

When I go into the programs and features via control panel, I am unable to uninstall the avg items.  It gives me a message that takes me back to early posts.  There is a problem with the Microsoft Installer. I get that message when I try each of the three avg items.

I then tried to uninstall the ask.com updater from the control panel (it is not a necessary item). I then receive a message that I do not have sufficient access to uninstall Updater. And to contact my administrator.  I am not doing this from safe mode so.... I should be able to right?

Any clues as to the next step?

#69 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the program then run it.

Go to Step 2 and allow it to run CheckDisk by clicking on Do It button:

p22001645.gif

Once that is done then go to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

p22001646.gif

Go to Step 4 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

p22001644.gif

Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.

p22001166.gif

Please ensure that ONLY items seen in the image below are ticked as indicated (they're all checked by default):

p22001647.gif

Click on box next to the Restart System when Finished. Then click on Start.
[/quote]

Posted Image

#70 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

The version that downloaded is a bit different and things are not happening in the same way that you have stated above.  For example step 2 is malwarebytes. Went to step three which is the check disk.  I ran a check disk last night and it found errors.  When I rebooted and went back to that tab and clicked do it the screen you show in start repairs came up but had alot more options than just those you have selected or show above.  What should I do let it fix everything it checked or still just the ones you have selected.  There are also alot of windows 8 items.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#71 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

No....go ahead and select everything and then run it.  :)  There must be another new update to this tool.

Posted Image

#72 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Just to clarify -- you want me to let run with whatever items it chooses to check after the checkdisk?  NO UNSELECTING?? even the windows 8 items?

#73 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Oh.....select everything except those noted as Windows 8 items. 

Posted Image

#74 mickey7

mickey7

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

Ok been having a hard time getting it to run again.. Finally got the program started and am running the system file check at this time. it is taking awhile... it did say that it could take some time but man..... over half hour and still only at 2% verification.  I hope it finishes this aspect before I have to leave work.

Update:

Been over another hour and has only moved 1% more.. 3:51pm and at 3%. I need to leave here by 5 pm should I just close the lid and head home that way or should I end the process and run the other procedure first? The check disk one? Once I get home  with the hope that will correct some things and then try to run this step again????

Edited by mickey7, 01 May 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#75 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:30 AM

Hi,

Ok....I have been discussing your topic with several of my colleagues (of whom have been reviewing this as well) and have come to the unfortunate consensus that your best bet is going to be to reformat your system.  It looks as if there have been too many corrupted files that we just can't get a handle on to even bring it to a point we can attempt to fix.  Are you able to work around in your computer at all and save files to disk or USB?

Posted Image