Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

big grin WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. It's 100% free. Did we mention that it's free. It is. It's free. Join 91603 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members with best answers are invited to staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Jeffce - 2003 HP with Xp needs help [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#31 peachy_dar

peachy_dar

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Riding our 2009 Navy Metallic blue Honda Goldwing Trike<br />Taking pictures and videos while riding the trike

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:42 AM

Jeff:

Sorry I didn't get around to running the 2nd scan - it was just too frustrating listening to the drive churn and the delay in getting anything to load...I will do it tonight before NCIS comes on!!

cya then!

Dar

Darlene

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

Sounds good!  :)

Posted Image

#33 peachy_dar

peachy_dar

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Riding our 2009 Navy Metallic blue Honda Goldwing Trike<br />Taking pictures and videos while riding the trike

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

Jeff

I tried typing this note while the XP was doing that Eset scan....but it simply cannot multi task........gawd help me!

I'm on my hubby's tower in the same room now.  and to answer your question about the XP booting "choppy" the answer is yes.  It didn't used to do that..this is new.

Is there a virus/trojan/worm on it now?? I should of left well enough alone......

After you are done with the check up..I'm pulling the internet cable out of the back..it's never gonna see the internet again!!!

anyway, after it booted, I clicked on firefox at 7:11 pm, I brought up the task manager and under processes it has firefox listed at the top of the list, and it's a 23,000  firefox has not loaded yet, and won't for 4 minutes..but this figure continues to grow larger.  At about 68,000 firefox loads a blank page after3 minutes...then www.whatthetech.com finally loads.

this is entirely too long!  what is going on?  It used to be faster!!  It was slow to finally load the Eset page, and download the link. It was slow to load the link, etc.  it's still scanning and it's at 20% and still going....no problems so far.

when it's done I shall upload the log.

Dar

Darlene

#34 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Ok thanks.  As for it contracting a virus while we have been doing the scans it is doubtful....  Let's see what ESET finds.  :)

Posted Image

#35 peachy_dar

peachy_dar

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:40 AM

Jeff:

this took 5 hours to run.  here is the log.dar

Attached Files

Darlene

#36 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

How is your system running right now? 

Posted Image

#37 peachy_dar

peachy_dar

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

Jeff

For some reason it is not "choppy" tonight.....Now it seems to be slow, like it's supposed to be for a 2003 HP with XP.  Is there anything we can do give this system a "boost" or is this as good as it gets?

Can you tell me after this check up, how is it?  Did we find anything bad?  If so, is it gone?

This machine probably won't see the interent very often.....

dar

Darlene

#38 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

Good to hear it seems to be running better.  As for slowness there is not a lot that we can do for that unfortunately.  

We did find several "junk" entries that we removed.  :)

Posted Image

#39 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

Still with me?

Posted Image

#40 peachy_dar

peachy_dar

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

Jeff

Yep I'm here.  I have a personal day today - so going to spend time in my sewing room today, if I can get my grandson to go home with his mother!!!!

Is there any more further instruction to follow?

dar

Darlene

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

Nope....I think that we are done.   :)

Providing there are no other malware related problems...

IT APPEARS THAT THE LOGS WE HAVE NOW ARE NOW CLEAN!  GREAT JOB!!  

This infection appears to have been cleared, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees.  As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.
----------

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Press the Windows key + R and this will open the Run text box.  Copy/paste the following text into the Run box as shown and click OK.
  Combofix /Uninstall
  (Note: There is a space between the ..X and the /U that needs to be there.)

jEuYelX.jpg
----------

BWEBB7V.jpg

• Download Delfix from here to remove many of the tools we've used during the cleaning process.
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is checked.
    Also place a checkmark next to:
    • Create registry backup
    • Purge system restore
    delfix.jpg
  • Click the Run button.

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop. If you did not have Malwarebytes Antimalware before, I would keep it and run it weekly.
----------

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

1. Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:

• From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • 2. FireFox  If you use Firefox, I recommend installing the following add-ons to help make your Firefox browser more secure:
    NoScript
    AdBlock Plus 

3. Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis.  With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

4. Firewall
    Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.   **There are firewalls that could be downloaded and used but I would personally only recommend using one of the following below:
    Online Armor Free
    Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free
    Comodo Firewall Free

5. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current.  Windows XP users can visit Windows update  regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems.  Without these you are leaving the back door open.

6. WOT (Web of Trust) As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites.  WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.

7. Finally, I strongly recommend that you read Miekiemoes' great advice How to prevent malware.

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.
    ----------

Posted Image

#42 peachy_dar

peachy_dar

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

thanks for all your help Jeff!!

this machine just cannot multi task...my gawd........ it makes me appreciate my other pc's!!!

I have already unplugged it from the internet, its no longer on the home network.  so chances of future infections are greatly reduced!!

Now to fine tune my embroidery machine!!!

thanks for your help!

Have a great Easter!

dar

Darlene

#43 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

You have a great Easter as well.  :)

Posted Image

#44 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.
Posted Image