Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

big grin WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. It's 100% free. Did we mention that it's free. It is. It's free. Join 91603 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members with best answers are invited to staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Get virus message for each download [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#16 ----------------

----------------

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

it is the first directory when you access your flash drive - just put both files in there, plug the drive into the infected computer, start FRST and hit fix.

Tell me if that worked for you

Proud Member of UNITE & TB

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 dconant1

dconant1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

May we keep this thread open.  I attempted what you suggested and could not get past the first file.  The FIX button would never come up for me.  

#18 ----------------

----------------

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

The fix button is within FRST - you have to copy FRST.exe (or FRST64.exe) as well as the fixlist.txt to the same directory.

When running FRST then, you have to hit the fix button.

#19 dconant1

dconant1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

OK.  I think I understand and I believe I have been doing that.  here's what happens.  I go to the flash drive where FRST and fixlist.txt are each stored.  I created a new folder on the Flash Drive called MYDOWNLOADS and put both FRST and fixlist in that folder.  That is my way of attempting to get the two files in the same directory together or the same folder.  [it must not be working as I had conceived it]  Then I click the FRST.exe folder and it appears to be doing something.  However at the conclusion it gives me the message that the Fixlist.txt file should be in the same folder/directory as the tool itself.  So I continue to get the same message.  Your instructions are straightforward.  I understand them OK ... at least I think I do.  but the message keeps coming up.  So it's me that is the problem.  I'm doing something wrong.

#20 ----------------

----------------

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Skip FRST.

Combofix

Combofix should only be run when adviced by a team member!

Link

Important - Save the file to your desktop!

• Deactivate any and all of your antivirus programs /spyware scanners - they can prevent CF from doing its work.
  • Run Combofix.exe

When finished, Combofix creates a log file named C:\Combofix.txt. Please post its content in your next reply.

Note: When receiving an error message containing ""Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion" simply restart your computer to fix this.

#21 dconant1

dconant1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:37 AM

I have been having a problem with combofix.  I downloaded the program on a Flash Drive, inserted the Flash Drive in the Vista Desktop that has the virus problems.  I can find the program on the Flash Drive in the Desktop.  I can click on the program and it appears to be going through the files (ie. 1 of 11, 2 of 11, etc) very fast.  Then when it finishes, nothing happens.  The little screen that was scanning is no longer present.  I open the C:\ drive and look for C:\Combofix.txt and don't find that log file.  I've done this process 4 times and still do not see the combofix.txt file.  

#22 ----------------

----------------

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

Please reboot into safe mode and try again.

#23 dconant1

dconant1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Well, well ... this is turning out to be more than I can handle.  I have rebooted several times and cannot find the combofix.txt file anywhere; even in Safe mode.  I know this makes it very hard to assess anything.  Any other suggestions?

#24 ----------------

----------------

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

Try to run combofix from the flash drive while in safe mode

#25 ----------------

----------------

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

Due to inactivity this topic will be closed.
If you need help please start a new thread.

New members follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html and start a new topic

Advertisements

Register to Remove