Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91980 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Problems with laptop [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#16 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

Ok, well I think Ive found the cause of some of my problems....it seems that I have been sold a laptop with a pirated version of windows installed. Just got a message saying "this copy of windows is not genuine" then a pop up saying I may be a victim of windows counterfeiting, please verify that your version is genuine". Should I take it back and demand my money back? I paid $300. PRETTY ANGRY RIGHT NOW! Whoops see even my caplocks are angry baahaahaa. In the meantime, I will keep going with these scans. Just about to give up and throw the darn thing  :( . But if I can get it into some sort of working state, i will buy windows but not sure if worth it if the machine is almost dead?? I dont want to waste anymore money  :angry:

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. -Albert Einstein.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

I'd take it back... but keep in mind... it might not be a pirated operating system.  If something is failing and corrupting your files... then the "markers" that show the OS is legitimate can get corrupted also - thus triggering the warning.

If you purchased the system from a dealer - that implies that this isn't a one-off.  He either does it for a living or a hobby and probably does some repair (rather than just buying and selling).  I believe most people like that will stand behind their sale for a reasonable amount of time and at least work with you on a problem.  If it is a person who rebuilds systems, he will hopefully have the skills to run some test and perhaps even have replacement parts lying around if he can determine what is failing.

I'd definitely take it back - and go in assuming he will at least attempt to correct the problem, starting with the Genuine Windows issue.

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

Topics are closed after 5 days without response
unite_blue_zpsbfd3cd98.png

#18 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

OK there is a windows 7 product key on the bottom of the laptop. The messages have disappeared, I have looked on the microsoft website to see if I can check this product key but have no idea what Im looking for. Also, I cant seem to buy windows 7 online through microsoft...it just takes me to windows 8 and my son says he would rather have no lap top than have windows 8 lol ???? Do you know any reputable places online that I could still purchase windows 7 if this is infact not a genuine version?? Thanks Tomk and sorry for being a pain. Also do you think this is what has been causing all my problems or do you think theres still some hardware or malware  problem going on too?? As I said, I dont want to go forking out more money if its not worth it  :(

#19 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

I think we cross posted.

Read my last response and then ask questions you might have.

It looks like you can still buy Windows 7.  https://www.microsof...ia/windows/buy/

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

#20 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Sorry you must have replied as I was writing that lol. He is a second hand dealer, doesnt just sell computers but just about everything you can think of (whitegoods, bikes, jewellery etc).

#21 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Not likely as good a source, but I think I'd still approach him about the operating system warning.

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

#22 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

Ok I will do that today when he opens (Its 2am here right now lol). Will let you know how I get on. Thanks, I do really appreciate your help and time very much  :notworthy:

#23 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Any update on this?

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

#24 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg