Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

PSPP - statistical analysis on a MAC

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hello,

This may be a bit of a reach, but here goes ... :wall:

My daughter is trying to install a program called PSPP - https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/ it is a GNU program for statistical analysis of data. She is trying to load the appropriate Mac version [Mac OS X 10.6 (i386 x86_64)], on a computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, not sure the exact version though. The problem she/we are running into is after a supposedly successful install when opening the program there is a small square in the center of the screen with a red X, and after the program loads the GUI icons do not display. We get small image icons with a red X in the center. Also, upon trying to exit the program we get an error message that states: error opening ouput file 'pspp.jnl'; permission denied

I have installed a version on a Windows machine with no issues.

Hopefully, someone might have some idea what is causing this issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :woot:

OCD

Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

I'm assuming you installed the required ancillary programs?

http://intersci.ss.u...hp/PSPP_for_Mac

• VigienLen likes this
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#3 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hi Tomk,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm kinda just barely treading water on this. It seems my kids always rope me into these kinds of projects. My daughter has used the program before but only on a Windows machine. She has a MAC and would like to be able to use it on that computer, but she doesn't know of anyone who has it running on a MAC to get guidance from, so .... you know where they turn, Dad.

I am not trying to build the program from scratch, so I'm not sure what, if any ancillary programs are needed.  The site I referenced has various versions ready to download and install, but paid OS's are low on their priority list for attention. So bugs and such might not be addressed in a very timely manner.

I'm just trying to get the compiled OS X version to work as simply as the Windows version did. :banana:

If your feeling adventurous, here is the link to the page where the downloads are - http://lavergne.gotd.../projects/pspp/. If I'm understanding the site correctly these installers are created with MacPorts, and should contain everything needed to run the program.

So I just thought I would reach out in the pure luck of it that someone might have some knowledge about it.

I even tried to pull a fast one om my daughter and told here she should just by a Windows machine. :whistling: I could always set up a dual boot with Linux, but she is away at college and I wouldn't be able to talk her through that, she's a bit, shall we say "technologically challenged"

OCD

Member of UNITE

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

#4 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

I know nothing about the program (or mac OS for that matter), just the link I gave to the programs home page says:

Mac Install:

Installation Instructions for GNU pspp

These instructions are based on the generic GNU installation instructions, but they have been tailored for PSPP.

Before You Install

Before you install PSPP, you will need to install certain prerequisite packages. You may also want to install other packages that enable additional functionality in PSPP.

They then go on to provide links to the prerequisite programs.  (I believe all are open source code).  I see now (with further reading) that these instructions tell you how to compile the "clean" code.  I'm assuming the Macports has already done that (which is refered to here: I see on the compiled list that you can get the program on a Knoppix live CD.  That would allow her to run it in Linux without dual booting. 

Also, I don't find the download for Mac 10.6 snow leopard.  I only see a download for Mac 10.9 Mavericks. :(

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#5 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the tip about the Knoppix live CD. I'm burning the image to disc as we speak, gonna give it a try on the Mac I have here and see if she flies. :blush:

OCD

Member of UNITE

#6 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:32 AM

No luck. Burned the disk OK, but when I try to boot from the disk I keep getting a graphics error. It appears there is a setting on the Mac that is not cooperating with the Knoppix disk. So I guess it's back to the drawing board.
OCD

Member of UNITE

#7 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

Update: I tried loading the Knoppix disk on my Windows 7 machine and ran into the same error. :wall:  Maybe the disk I burned is corrupt. I guess I'll try burning a new image and see if that changes anything. :huh:

OCD

Member of UNITE

#8 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Maybe she should just feed you the data, you input it and run the program, and give her the results. :whistling:

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#9 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

Unfortunately, that's not an option. She needs to use it as part of her Master's Program in college and she needs to use it on a regular basis (constantly updating data), and quite frankly I don't have that kind of time to devote to "her" project.

Her birthday is just around the corner, maybe I should just get her a Windows laptop and alleviate my headache.

OCD

Member of UNITE

#10 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

maybe I should just get her a Windows laptop and alleviate my headache.

i thought you loved your daughter? rofl.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

worst case scenario is to install windows in a vm on her mac, but i really don't see that being necessary never ever ever suggest she'd be better off with a windows laptop unless you hate her. xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png

No luck. Burned the disk OK, but when I try to boot from the disk I keep getting a graphics error. It appears there is a setting on the Mac that is not cooperating with the Knoppix disk. So I guess it's back to the drawing board.

what is the graphics error?? try booting with nomodeset option.

sorry i don't own a mac to test with and have zero experience with pspp but i don't see why we shouldn't be able to get everything working for you with googles help. xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.XhpYJIv77v.png

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 13 February 2014 - 04:28 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

terry1966,

worst case scenario is to install windows in a vm on her mac, but i really don't see that being necessary never ever ever suggest she'd be better off with a windows laptop unless you hate her

No she loves her Mac, but I have been able to get it to run on my Windows machine and thought about getting her a Windows machine just to run the program. I know, that's a bit over the top just to run one program. But just now I'm finding out more about her true needs to use the program and what options are available to her. She actually has a Windows computer at her internship that they will allow her to install it on. So I think that is the route I am going to take.

She never mentioned this at the beginning of this adventure. :pullhair:

what is the graphics error?? try booting with nomodeset option.

Well this time I never made it to the graphics error. I got this error after the Mac started to boot from the Knoppix disk:

/init: line 276: /bin/mount: Input/output error
_

I can't even get Knoppix to boot let alone set the nomodeset option. (even if I knew how)

sorry i don't own a mac to test with and have zero experience with pspp but i don't see why we shouldn't be able to get everything working for you with googles help.

I appreciate the help and encouragement, but hopefully she can load pspp on the Windows box at her internship and I can abandon this excursion. :clap:

OCD

Member of UNITE

#12 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

ok, but if you decide to try again let me know and i'll download koppix and see if i can at least get that running pspp on my machine , then i may be able to offer you more help. :thumbup:

:popcorn:

#13 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Thanks! I gave my daughter the necessary information to download and install PSPP on the Windows machine at here internship. Hopefully, she doesn't run into any issues. She only needs it for a few months until she graduates, so with any luck she will be successful.

I'll post here if I need to take you up on your offer. :notworthy:

OCD

Member of UNITE

#14 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Just an update to my adventure: I was able to get the PSPP program to run off the Knoppix disk on the Mac. Since I was getting numerous error messages when I tried to run it on both my Mac & Windows 7,  I though maybe it's my disk. So with that in mind I broke out a new disk and proceeded to download a fresh copy of the program and burn a new image, VOILA, It worked! :banana:

Now my biggest challenge is navigating Knoppix. :wall:  For the uninitiated, Linux takes a bit getting used to navigating the menu. I can't seem to get the Mac to connect to my network, but that problem I can solve another day.

But I guess I've conquered the first hurdle in my quest. Now if I can just get my daughter to reply as to if she still wants to access the program this way, my day would be less aggravating.  :popcorn:

So, just thought I'd post an update ... Thanks to both Tomk & terry1966 for their incite and suggestions. :notworthy:

OCD

Member of UNITE

#15 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

Update on this issue (if anyone cares).

After having difficulty getting PSPP to work on a Mac I contacted the gentleman who hosts the program (an apparently updates the files) and informed him of the issues I was encountering. It took a few weeks, but he updated the download file. I reinstalled PSPP, and it works like a charm. :clap:

So I'm please to announce that my "adventure" has come to an end. At least for now, until my daughter finds another problem for me to solve.

OCD

Member of UNITE