Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Fake App Attack- same problem, same solution? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#16 kasie626

kasie626

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:04 AM

Hi OCD,

Thanks for the link and quick response! I'm not sure if it worked or not...I downloaded it, ran it, and got a pop-up message with a heading "FINISH" that simply said "Done!". However, the downloaded icon for CF uninstaller is still on my desktop, and the CF shortcut is still on my computer as well. Does that matter?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hi Kasie626,

Just go ahead and delete those.

OCD

Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

#18 kasie626

kasie626

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hi OCD,

Ok, I did that and followed all the other steps included in your post, including adding NoScript to mozilla and installing the OnlineArmor firewall.

But, new problem. When I restarted my computer, its display was messed up (squashed and large pixels like in the safety mode). I changed the resolution and it looked back to normal, except Aero wasn't working. Now the windows headings are opaque like they were in older versions of windows. I tried troubleshooting it, but got the following message:

"The current video card may support Aero with a driver that is compliant with the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM).  Contact the manufacturer of your computer or video card for a WDDM-compatible driver."

I checked device manager and I have 2 display adapters: Intel and NVIDIA. I downloaded the updated driver from Intel and ran it, but got an error message saying its not supported by my system. When I restarted my computer, nothing changed and I got the same troubleshooting message. It's a small detail but it's seriously driving me nuts. Can you help?

Sorry to throw an extra problem into the mix.

#19 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hi kasie626,

:pullhair:  This is not really my area of knowledge, but lets see if we can resolve it.

The problem only occurred after you completed the steps from the all clean post, correct?

If so, try and disable the NoScript add-on and see if that has any effect. If you made any other changes try disabling those as well and test between each program or add-on. Be sure to reboot between disabling or removing items. Let me know how it goes, and we'll go from there.

OCD

Member of UNITE

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

#20 kasie626

kasie626

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hi OCD,

Thanks for your willingness to help! I uninstalled the firewall and my computer was absolutely back to normal. Thank goodness! How important is it to have a firewall installed? Is the one that Windows provides sufficient?

Otherwise, everything looks good on my end. Thank you so much for your help!!

#21 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

kasis626,

Hi OCD,

Thanks for your willingness to help! I uninstalled the firewall and my computer was absolutely back to normal. Thank goodness! How important is it to have a firewall installed? Is the one that Windows provides sufficient?

Otherwise, everything looks good on my end. Thank you so much for your help!!

A firewall is a MUST. You could always try one of the other Free ones I suggested, or if you prefer just use the Windows one. But you should always maintain one (1) Anti-Virus and one (1) Firewall at all times. FYI: multiple's of both of these actually cause more harm than good, so it's highly recommended to use just one of each.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

OCD

Member of UNITE

#22 kasie626

kasie626

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hi OCD,

Ok, I just uninstalled my extra antivirus, and will look into one of the other firewalls. Do you a favorite from those that your recommended earlier?

#23 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hi kasie626,

I use Avast (AV) & Comodo (FW).

OCD

Member of UNITE

#24 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

Hi kasie626,

Just checking in to see if you still need help?
OCD

Member of UNITE

#25 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.
OCD

Member of UNITE

Advertisements

Register to Remove