Hi NoNo,
Go back to my previous post and run the Microsoft Fix-It, reboot and attempt to get Windows updates.
Websearch. Searchnewtab, keyword Hijacker. false emails, IE wont work
17 min read
Ok I tried the Fix It. It gave me the same results and so did Windows Update when I ran it. There are 2 things that happened.
1. When I rebooted, Microsoft Security Essentials there was a red X on the icon. It said that real-time protection was turned off, which I had not done. When I looked, there was a check mark, so it wasn't turned off. It just said it was. Its never done this. It was working good a minute later. (or it looks like its working good).
2. On the web Result Report for Fix It, under Issues Found and Issues Checked, when I clicked the arrow down to read more info
there were 8 weird symbols/emoticons covering the beginning of each issue found/checked:
-smileyface w/ a black box covering bottom half of it
-black circle
-security badge
-a present
-and i w/ a circle around it
-black circle
-a present
-a security badge
Ok now what?
Thank you,
NoNo
Let's ensure we have gotten all the malware removed, then we will refocus on the remaining issues.
[external image: bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif] Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Locate Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (it should be on your desktop).
If not, download it here
- Windows XP : Double click on the icon to run it.
- Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8 : Right click and select "Run as Administrator"
- Once the program has loaded, select the Update tab to get the latest updates before performing the scan.
- Select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected .
- When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
- Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.
[external image: bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif] ESET Online Scanner
*Note:
- It is recommended to disable on-board antivirus program and anti-spyware programs while performing scans so there are no conflicts and it will speed up scan time.
- Please don't go surfing while your resident protection is disabled!
- Once the scan is finished remember to re-enable your antivirus along with your anti-spyware programs.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Go here to run ESET Online Scanner
(Note: You can use Internet Explorer or FireFox for this scan. If you use FireFox you will be asked to install an additional component. Please allow this.)
- Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
- Click Start
- When asked, allow the activex control to install
- Disable your Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock
- Click Start
- Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is Checked.
- Click Scan.
- Wait for the scan to finish.
- When the scan completes, click List of found threats
- click Export to Text file and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan.
- Include the contents of this report in your next reply
Note - when ESET doesn't find any threats, no report will be created. - Push the back button.
- Push Finish
- Re-enable your Antivirus software.
In your next post please provide the following:
- MBAM log
- ESET's log.txt
- How's the computer running?
Hi- The computer is running a little slower. When I'm online, its very very very slow for pages to load. In the last few days, a box comes up and says explorer has stopped responding and must shut down. This has happened probably 8 times.
The logs are below.
MBAM log:
Hi NoNo,
[external image: bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif] Disk Defragmenter for Vista
- Open Disk Defragmenter by clicking the Start button, > All Programs, > Accessories, > System Tools and then clicking Disk Defragmenter..
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Click Defragment Now.
Disk Defragmenter might take from several minutes to a few hours to finish, depending on the size and degree of fragmentation of your hard disk. You can still use your computer during the defragmentation process.
Tutorial: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/improve-performance-by-defragmenting-your-hard-disk
=========================
[external image: bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif] Reboot
=========================
[external image: bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif] ComboFix
Refer to the ComboFix User's Guide
- Download ComboFix from the following location:
Link
* IMPORTANT !!! Place ComboFix.exe on your Desktop
- Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with ComboFix.
You can get help on disabling your protection programs here - Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
- Your desktop may go blank. This is normal. It will return when ComboFix is done. ComboFix may reboot your machine. This is normal.
- When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.
——————————————————————————————— - Ensure your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications are re-enabled.
———————————————————————————————NOTE: If you encounter a message "illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion" and no programs will run - please just reboot and that will resolve that error.
=========================
In your next post please provide the following:- ComboFix.txt
Hi - Sorry I haven't gotten back to you in a few days. I will do these scans tonight and tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.
-NoNo
![]()
Hi - ok I could not defrag. It ran all night. But I dont think it was working. The little blue circle just kept circling
The Combofix log is below.
[external image: bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif] Chkdsk in Vista/7
You must run the command prompt as an administrator or in an "elevated mode".
- Start menu, in the search bar type "cmd"
- Right-click the cmd icon, select "run as administrator"
- If you have user account control (UAC) set up it may prompt you to accept that action.
- Then type in "chkdsk /r" (make note of the space between chkdsk and /)
[external image: bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif] Auslogics Disk Defrag Free
- Download here
- Install and run
- Post back after you have completed
In your next post please provide the following:
- Update on status
Just checking in to see if you still need help?
Hi my internet connection is down and haventbeen able to get a connection for past few days. I using a friend to contact you.
I ran check disc and did a deFrag. i cant send you the results at this time.
I will send you the results as soon as I can get back on line. I can get messages but I will need to get then from a friends computer for now. I dont want to start over if possable.
nono
Hi NoNo,
No worries, I will leave the thread open until I hear back from you. ![]()
It's been 7 days. Are you ready to move forward yet, or do expect an extended delay?
Hi- ![]()
woohoo ! have connection again!
I feel like its been a month or two! lol
Im ready !
Hi NoNo,
OK great news! Please go back to post # 24 and complete those steps.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI