Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91702 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows Explorer Keeps Restarting [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#16 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Not sure what ethernet controller drivers I would need, but the website for the Toshiba Satellite L755-S5357 WIN7 64-bit is:

http://support.toshi...reeText=3132753

The network adapter is Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC if you needed this info...

If you can find the correct one, that would be great!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Ok....can you see in Device Manager where the driver for the Network Card is located at??  It should have a yellow triangle or something showing you?

Posted Image

#18 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

Yes, see attached!

Attached Thumbnails

• Ethernet.png

#19 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

Ok good.....you see where it says "Ethernet Controller"?  Right click on that and select Uninstall.  Let the driver uninstall and then reboot your system.  Upon reboot, Windows should recognize the hardware and attempt to install it automatically.  Let me know how that goes.  :)

Posted Image

#20 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Okay, I was not able to get this to reinstall after reboot; so I tried to do this in Safe Mode and it brought up a message to reset laptop back to begining settings and keep users info, so I ran that and it "reformatted" back and kept user info, but it stated that the HDD is critical and to fix it or buy a new one. It also asked to update Windows and now it won't update anymore because of error "WindowsUpdate_80070490" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

I tried to use HDD Regenerator to see if I can fix the HDD, but it says it detected SATA controller, working in AHCI mode and to chnage it to compatibale IDE mode in the BIOS, but I am unable to get into the BIOS by pressing F2, F10, F12, ESC or Delete. So I need to know what program to use to try and fix the HDD or how I can get into the BIOS...

I need to know how to fix Windows Update as I have looked for this online and tried to fix it, but no luck!

#21 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Ok....I need to find out exactly what has happened since you when and "formatted" your drive. 

Let's check and see if it really is a real failing drive....

Please download HD Tune (the free version not the trial), run an error scan on your primary harddrive (full not quick) and report back if any blocks aren't green. It tests your hard drive for bad sectors.

Posted Image

#22 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

See attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• HDTune_Error_Scan_TOSHIBA_MK6465GSXN.png

#23 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

Please open an elevated command prompt > Click Start and type cmd in Start Search.
When cmd.exe populates above, right click it and select Run as Administrator to open an elevated command prompt.

Copy the contents of the code box > right click in the command window and select paste

chkdsk /f

Press Enter and then follow any prompts.

Posted Image

#24 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

Wasn't able to run it.

Says type of file system is NTFS; cannot lock current drive.

Cannot run because volume is used by another process. Would you like to run after restart.

I said yes and it ran and then rebooted into login screen...

#25 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:24 AM

Ok that is what I expected.  :)  Good job!

Any change in your system?

Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

The Toshiba Bulletin Board Message and the HDD Regenerator program still says the HDD is critical and to back up my  files and try and fix or replace the drive. Other than that, everything seems fine know. Again, I am unable to get into the BIOS -- anything on this to help?

#27 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

Hi,

Ok...this no longer seems like a malware problem so much as it is a hardware problem.  You should post a new topic in the Windows forum here at WTT and have one of the techs there look over your system to verify that it is indeed a failing hard drive.  They are more knowledgeable in that area than I am and you will be in great hands!  Be sure to tell what problems you are having now and also post the link to this topic so that they can see what it is we have been doing. 

:)

Posted Image

#28 mstein66

mstein66

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

Okay -- tks for all the help. I have created a new topic and keep up the good work!

#29 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Sounds good!  :)

Posted Image

#30 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

Seeing as how your topic seems to have been sorted in the Windows forum, I will go ahead and close this out.   :wavey:

Posted Image