This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

windows 7 premium issues after tranferring to fresh hard drive

39 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

8210GUY
Sorry this is where you lost me
…………….but as a closing thought, when you have tested sticks 2 and 3, try sitting all 3 sticks into the 2nd batch of slots (the ones you have put the one stick in currently), when doing this, think of them as going into their Slot 1, 2 ,3 positions, but in slots 4, 5, and 6, so slot 4 acts as slot 1, slot 5 acts as slot 2 etc., moving away from the heatsink as you go, I hope that makes sense lol.  :scratch:   :D'

What have done thus far is try stick 1 in slot one on it's own (ie the only stick of RAM in any slot) & then moved my way to slot 4 with it's matching stick of RAM but again as before solo ( no other stick of RAM in)
I have tested stick 2 & 3 (as above) in their respective matching slots (2 & 3) but as yet I have yet to swap them around..ie stick RAM 4 tested in slot 2. Is this what you are meaning please?…..
After I have tested each in their corresponding matching slots I should start mixing them in 3's ? or singles? or pairs? 
Sorry not understanding

I should hope the motherboard is new for that price, but it doesn't mean it can't be faulty as well, and so far it doesn't look good.

 

Sorry for the confusion, it made sense when I wrote it lol, I'll try and make it easier  to follow, but I wrote it based on the fact your also trying slots 4, 5 and 6:-

Your testing stick 1, once completed in all slots, place it on the piece of paper back on the Slot 1 note.

Repeat using Stick 2.

Repeat using Stick 3.

 

Now, if Sticks 2 and 3, give as good a result as Stick 1, in the Slots 4, 5 and 6, I would be interested to see how they work together again as Tri Channel (a set basically), so to maintain knowing what stick is what, what I am suggesting is to dismiss slots 1, 2 and 3, imagine they are no longer there, as such slots 4, 5 and 6, now become 1, 2 and 3, again Slot 1 is always closest to the heatsink, so in essence you are running as you should be, only using what were originally the empty slots, does that clear it up at all ?

8210GUY

As us Kiwi's often say …'yah, nah…'.
I got it that time. Thank you, Yes of course if I test with more than one stick RAM then yes it could get confusing as to which stick is which but not if I do as you suggest…stick 1, 2 ,3 in slot 4 5 6 etc. (wasn't thinking)

Will try mixing them out today working with one stick RAM 1 into all slots 1 2 3 4 5 6 & repeat with stick 2…see what results
In good news after a dream run with stick 4 in slot 4 I decided today was the day I had to let go.
Since the desktop has been faultless with stick 4 in slot 4 I decided to run scan /f on restart yesterday to see if I could not fix the disk errors before I swapped stick 4 out.
Scan /f did run which has not been the case & fixed all the errors it reported although t did take near on 8 hours to run!
This morning I let go of stick 4 in slot 4. 
Thinking that it could have been just a good run with stick 4/slot 4 & nothing else I decided tempt fate & reverted back to stick 1 in slot 1 as previously it had not even been able to start the desktop in this combo….
SUCCESS. Stick 1 in slot 1 ( no other RAM in any slots) restarted the desktop like it did with stick 4 in slot 4 …effortlessly ..this brought a pleasing smile I can tell you.
Like stick 4 / slot 4 , stick 1 in slot 1 stills gives the error message 'the request is not supported (0x80070032) when I ask it to back up…..as you say..first things first that comes later
Thanks 8210GUY will keep you posted re test results 




 

Yes if you can test each stick in turn, once in each of the 6 slots one after the other, so by the time you have done each stick will have been in each slot, then in a finishing test, please use all 3 sticks at the same time, keeping the 1, 2, 3 order, but in slots 4, 5 ,6 treating them as though they are 1, 2 and 3, and see what happens, once you have done this (it may take a few days unless your able to reproduce what crashes the system previously), you will have all the info to support my theory about the board being bad.

 

If you wish you "could" try the sticks back in the original 1, 2, 3 slots after, just to see if it is still messing about, otherwise just leave them in the 4, 5, 6 slots and run like that until we try and figure out your options, don't worry if it takes a few days to do this, it depends if you test them as thoroughly as stick 1, we will wait for you to have done this for as long as you need, but good work so far, you must be a natural. :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI