This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

windows 7 premium issues after tranferring to fresh hard drive

39 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

That's why I asked initially about how comfortable\able you were going inside lol :lol:

But yes the link I gave above is the place to download Speccy from, or it would have been if I remembered to add the link (now added to this reply) lol :rofl:

 

As to the bluescreen, please  download and run WhoCrashed, and post those results back here, that may help give us a clue as to what may have\is been going on, it may well be the cause of the system not running smooth since it came back, but lets see what info this scan can give us, and you only need the free version.

 

Now pictures, you can upload them in your reply, but you will need to click on the More Reply Options (if you don't already), and you should see the option under the reply window, although there are size limits, but if it is to big it should tell you, alternately you can upload them at an online site, Photobucket is one such site, once uploaded you need to copy and paste the link back here, hopefully this will help.

8210 GUY
'going inside the box' I thought you meant by BIOS….however I am ready for to preform the open box heart surgery. 

Just firing up the desktop to attend as you suggest. I have a couple of question while I preform the speccy etc 

When you said piece of paper slot 1 slot 2 slot 3 etc. Do you mean separate pieces of paper because I will be removing those 'stick' of RAM & trying different combinations of RAM in the sticks (changing them around)?
Second question is when you refer to the heatsink so you mean close to the gap is just before the external vent next to the RAM. I am fairly sure which slot is slot 1 2 3 etc. however I have seen in very small writing on the motherboard 'heat sink' while looking for the Rev to identify ..just need to reconfirm & that threw me a little

My desktop is trying to start but it seems to be sitting on the starting windows logo….mope here she goes fingers crossed because as you will read from my post yesterday. Trying to back up my data was unsuccessful

Desktop top on startup gave the 'u-fan fail'…is this important? 

Ok speccy & who crashed has been successfully installed & ran fine….I have attached the reports ( thank you the attachment help )..here they are..
(I have multiple posts & same yesterday…not sure how to delete only can edit….sorry)

I have a triple stick RAM !!…isn't speccy great!

 

 


 

here is the 'who crashed' report…..I can't even see if the speccy has been attached to my previous post…looks like it has not attached??? Has it?…I can see the who crashed file attached here but t seems to disappear when posted??the who crshed file is in to pages as a screen shot because it would only save as an Internet file…here is page 1

photobucket it is….technically challenged this morning…coffee still loading…had labelling issues in photobucket (first time user) not sure if it likes the PNG (paint) files……
Here they are finally thank you

speccy report
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/larngie/speccyreprot19nov13_zps71d70542.png

Who crashed report page 1
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/larngie/whocrashedpage1_zpsdd2b1e66.png

who crashed report page 2 
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/larngie/crashtestpage2_zps65186b3e.png

I have turned the box off again as I read the speccy can show temperatures of components last night…when I looked at the CPU on speccy it was reading 96 & red. I was concerned it may have been over heating.
I was very gentle & careful inside the box yesterday. Is it possible I have disconnected something & this is why the ufan fail showed on start up?
I don't think I could of. As I say I was very careful…could the fan have stopped….when I disconnected the box directly after (just now), removed the panel & looked inside it is a little warm but I can see nothing obvious….well,, obvious to me that is, with my untrained eyes

Powered up the desktop again to seeif the same issues & speccy on cpu is showing 47 c & stable….when I was in the box I made sure all the cables & wires were away from the fan (once I searched google to see what I cpu fan looked like :D

Sorry for the slow reply, had a day from hell, right that temperature is very disturbing, and it could be the cause of your problems, you did the right thing shutting it down when you saw that temperature, heat can kill component's, the fact it went back to a more reasonable temperature is good, although that is still high for my liking, but if it's using the stock heatsink, that is part of why, but do you live in a hot climate ?

 

There is the possibility of a cable coming loose, but at this stage no cables should have been touched ?

The other possible causes are the fan is failing\not running correctly, or they did not apply the thermal paste properly, and given the travesty they have made of this so far I wouldn't rule out both scenarios being in play, if you could take a picture of the heatsink\fan, one reasonably close (but not that close we can't see the whole thing), then another a bit further away, far enough back to capture the whole board\heatsink (but not that far out we see the case), I would be interested to see the condition\state of this as it may offer some clues.

 

Now until we can be sure what the reason for the temperature spike was, I suggest getting and running SpeedFan, and keep an eye on that temperature, if it hits or passes 80 degree's I suggest shutting down for a while, and take note of what time, and how hot it is where you are, it will help knowing if it gets worse with the heat in your location (hence time, e.g. hottest part of the day, or dead of night), we can start to get an idea of what can be done to reduce the temperature of the system.

 

The paper only needs to be a single sheet, there is plenty of space for a couple of sticks of ram (1 would be in the system at all times), the main point with the paper being numbered, is so that each stick of ram ALWAYS goes on it's Slot number, but this is where the notes come in possibly, it depends on what the 1st round of testing shows up, but there is always a chance this could all be moot, if the system is running to hot, that "could" be the cause of the problems your facing, so I'd like to get a better idea of this temperature situation before starting on the ram if that's OK ?

 

The fan warning is not good, that's a part of why I asked for a picture if possible, because if this is supposed to have been rebuilt to run as new again, then you may have been conned, I don't know what laws there are in your area to possibly start trying to get some compensation for this, but keep that on the back burner for the minute, but have a think of what options you may have, unlikely police will touch it, but maybe some consumer angle or civil action may be worth looking into, but have a think and maybe ask a few questions about what possible recourse you may have if needed.

 

Many forums (actually the vast majority) do not allow deleting of posts by the users, it stops the "children" starting trouble by posting comments etc. then deleting them saying they did not do it kind of thing, there are probably other reasons as well, but that's the big one from helping out for many years now, but I will see if the duplicates can be removed of something for you.

 

I think I covered everything, just holla if I didn't, but if you can get the pictures it would be a help, then we can go from there.

thanks 8210GUY
Yes I fully understand about life gets busy & please do not feel pressured here with me…I am happy to wait, I am happy to donate for the great gift that you & others provide here, again I thank you. I was just a little unsure how it worked here or perhaps you were waiting on me to complete something before we continued.
I did not open the box with the intent to touch anything however I could not see any RAM when you asked how many sticks because there were so much of a bunch a wires covering…but I was very gentle in slightly pushing them to the side a little to see…

I think what may have happened with the CPU heat warning was some of the wires may have prevented the fan from going..(lack of experience by the Trainee here). When I opened the box after shutting it down..it was warm like I say around the power (the box inside that is attached to where the power plug goes in you can just see the bottom of it in pic 2).
I could see the wires over part of the CPU fan …so I pushed them back to clear the fan. This is when I re powered & started the box & all temps dropped….yes it is warm in NZ currently. 
Here are the photos you have asked via photo bucket & again thank you for the reply I am sorry if I put you under any pressure at all.
An update is I have the sticker for my WIN 7 back from my old box …it mysteriously turned up with the tech…he is still waiting to fix my desktop he has emailed.
When I asked what resolve he was intending  he said all he will do is a system restore..
He said this will fix all my problems…(gee I can do that unaided) Is he serious? To me a system restore is a last resort…not a fix to multiple problems…but I am no qualified tech as he is 
How can a system restore be the solution when he has not even run any diagnosis. He was very hard to pin down in several emails re what his diagnosis is since he has now had the box twice. He will not answer this question directly
Yes we have Disputes tribunal here in NZ if you are a dissatisfied customer …also the IT & Communications Ombudsman

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/larngie/media/boxfan012_zps60e5b784.jpg.html

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/larngie/media/boxfan013_zps05f579b5.jpg.html

in the second fan 2 pic to the top left of the pic is where the RAM is & above that is a gap which then leads to the outside vent on the casing of the box…is this what you refer to as a heatsink?
I am assuming the first RAM stick closest to the gap will be slot 1?

The fan in the picture is from my old box I would say as it is not new…as is the other board…(blueish in the picture & is vertical) is certainly not new..what is this board called please?



 

Dam, just had a crash (flaming Nvidia drivers :rant2: ) and lost all my reply, so apology's but this will be a cut down version of what I had planned.

 

To start with there's no pressure, so don't worry there, we can't see what you see, not as clearly anyway, so you need to see what seems new or not, compare the paperwork they have given you (I would expect them to have done a detailed bill) even if it's only written on a fag packet lol.

 

The cables are another matter altogether, school children can do a better job than that, literally, I wouldn't expect them to be perfect, but they should have at the least been tied up out of the way, because that affects airflow, which a system needs to keep cool, too much heat can kill systems.

 

The fan warning is for the one on top of the heatsink, which is the big lump of metal sticking out of the board, if you follow the wires from that, down to the top of the board, you will see a small plastic "plug" which connects to some pins coming out of the board, this plug can only go on in 1 way, should it come off the plastic lugs slot either side of the plastic back sat behind the pins, so make sure they all line up, the pins are easily bent if you apply to much pressure, but if this plug is loose, that could cause the fan to play up, so check that is securely pushed home so it sits flush with the board.

 

System restore as you say is a joke, if it wasn't working right when it came back, it wont work right if they use any restore again, if there is a hardware fault then that will change nothing, there is a fine line between allowing someone fair chance to rectify faults, and taking it to someone who can do the job correctly, but if you allow them to have another look, do NOT pay them any money, because they should have got it right first time.

 

BUT, if it isn't hard enough to deal with this person already, there are times when moving parts around they can get upset, and then fail soon after, to be fair this can happen to the best of tech's, if this is the case then it is reasonable they get paid for any new problems, and by new problem I mean something that did not "touch" so to speak previous, e.g. your video card decides to fail, but it was working fine when you got it back, anything like that, but with someone who just seems to be so incompetent as in this person, even if that did happen, I doubt I would let them "repair" that as well, not given what we have seen and heard so far.

 

I would actually speak to one of those bodies, and just get an idea of where you stand, if you get lucky you "may" be able to get some compensation, but I don't know how it works there, but can't hurt to ask what your options are.

 

The numbers on the paper, you only need a single A4 sheet, there's plenty of room for 2 sticks of ram (1 would always be in the system), the notes take care of the rest, but Stick 1 must ALWAYS be placed on the paper marked Slot 1, the same for the rest, it doesn't matter if we put them in different slots when testing, but the sticks MUST be kept in their correct original Slot position, it's a pain, but it aids identifying any single stick should it turn out to be faulty, then it can be marked as faulty if it needs to be replaced by the suppliers.

 

Not sure if I've missed anything, but holla if I have, but if you can check the fans plug is secure, and keep an eye on the temperature for a bit, then we can see if heat may be adding to this issue, no point touching hardware if it's simply a heat issue, so keep check of that for a short while, just using the system normally as you would any other time, then we can decide what the next best move is.

 

And your motherboard is an Asus P6T Deluxe according to Speccy.

8210GUY

Sorry to here about your inconvenient crashes…technology is fab when it works well..

Yes you are right. I did get an invoice from the tech however it is not itemised detailed (except for the motherboard) . There is also a credit note of $280 on the invoice ass the tech said this is what it cost him…LOL  :wall: 
The older parts are the CPU fan & the blue vertical board in the picture
I have located the wiring that comes from the fan everything looks as it should…the plastics plug is in fine.

 

Now are you waiting for my to remove the RAM around or will you give me some idea how you remove them & what exactly should I be doing or is it too early & we have other steps first?
Clarification is required also on when I swap the RAM around I will still have ALL the RAM in at the same time, just swapping them into a different slot & trying?
I haven't been using my desktop for a few days as it seems fragile however I will run it for the testing of the RAM (or at least trying to keep it running while doing so. Microsoft keeps failing. 
Now that I have my license details for Win 7 would it be advisable firstly to do a clean install to enable the Microsoft has stopped working area messages & in turn the slooooow running which usually happens after this error message no long after start up?
Sometimes on start up it wants to run repair & sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it starts as normal, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it is able to start, sometimes it cannot & I need to restart again.

So I guess the first thing I would like advise on is should I windows re install first? I am thinking this may cure or assist the 'microsoft has stopped working' messages ??? Make the desktop more manageable in it's current state.

Clarification on the RAM swapping … the sticks are orange, white, orange, white, then orange….do those that come out of an orange slot need to go into an orange slot or can it go into any coloured slot? 
ALL of the slots must have RAM in them while testing?
Am I good to go with this now?

Many thanks




 

sorry I should be a little clearer..
I know what to do with the RAM swapping it out…ie pieces of paper slot 1 2  DO NOT GET THEM MIXED UP where they come out from etc….but not sure if any RAM colour slot can go in any RAM coloured slot as above & ALL of the RAM slots need to be full when testing?

The last question is probably an obvious one but I need to make sure
Let me know if I am good to go

 

Thanks

I would still use the system, yes there will be things to keep an eye on, but without using it, we could miss a clue as to what may be behind this, the worst cases are when there is multiple issues, those are really hard to figure out from a distance.

 

Now assuming the system temperature is stable, and under say 50 degree's (way hotter than I like), we can try changing the ram about if you want, but no matter what slot we use with any stick of ram, always put that stick back on it's original placement that it is currently in, the notes take care of any moving, but the sticks must be kept in order so if 1 is failing, then it can be isolated.

 

The colour slots are important in their way, systems can have the ability of dual or Tri (triple) channel, Tri channel is not as common as dual channel, but these features mean they work together and provide the best performance, and they should be bought in matched sets, as they have been tested as working together without issue, but to use these features, they must be placed in the correct slots on the board, that's where the colours come in, as it's more obvious which are the ones to use.

 

For testing none of that comes into play, what we are testing for is a single stick, and\or slot, that is showing signs of trouble, so if you are ready to start, remember the procedure for safety I laid out previously, more so with touching ram, it doesn't take much static to cause problems.

 

To remove a stick of ram, open the locking leavers at each end of the stick to be removed (1 at each end of each slot), they "fold" away from the ram, have a look at the free slots, move those ones to get an idea of what I mean, you will need to apply a bit of force possibly, but don't go crazy, that's why I said look at the free slots to see what I mean.

 

So counting stick 1 as closest to the heatsink, remove stick 2 and 3, and place them accordingly on the paper you have marked up, and with stick 1 left in place, fire the system up and see how it goes, it will be slower to work as you only have a single stick now, but it's stability we are looking for, well instability really, if it's stable it suggests there is nothing wrong, which is the ideal.

 

But run that and use it for a while, more so if you can do the same thing as what it takes to set off any crashing you experienced previously, if all seems well move that stick into slot 2, and repeat, then slot 3 and repeat, you see the pattern lol :weee:

 

Now repeat that again with just Stick 2, then with just Stick 3, remember you need to do the same sort of things as when the problems were occurring, if you get any issue note what stick, and what slot were being used when that problem occurs.

 

You will need to run it like you would before when you were crashing, and give it a good chance to show out each time, if you only do it for say 30 minutes, it may not be enough to see if it has any problems, once they have each had a good turn, let us know how it went, also if it crashes, also take note of the system temperature using SpeedFan (linked previously ^) or something, as that could also be the problem, so keep an eye on both, and see how it goes, then we can go from there.

 

*edit

Forgot to cover putting the ram into slots, there is a notch in each stick of ram, there is a corresponding lug inside the slot, these MUST line up, so the sticks can only go in 1 way, trying to fit it the wrong way round could break the ram, or even the slot\board depending how much force is used.

 

So if you keep the ram in the same direction as it came out of the slot, it will help, now when you insert the ram into a slot, make sure it's the right way, insert it into the slot, get both ends into place, then apply an even downward force on the stick, it should click into place, and the locking lever should rise up and lock home.

 

You may hear them click into place, then check the locking levers are fully up by lifting\pushing them into the ram (the reverse of undoing them), if you get the system bleeping after doing a change around, it means the stick is probably not inserted right, so you will need to check it is properly inserted and secure, "IF" it still does it, and no other stick, or slot does, that may be the problem piece, but give it a go, and let us know how it goes.

Quick update before the weekend.
Running RAM suggested swap out tests. 
Slot 1 tried to start 3 times….black screen for over 5 minutes each time…same with Slot 2 & 3
Slot 4 & I haven't stopped using my desktop since! Even slipped into a few hours of COD Multilayer without incident forgetting I had issues with the desktop I was playing …..
No freezing no error messages, no time outs. Still one or two system problems so far ie error message for backup & will not back up…can install licensed AVG internet security however same error message if I try to open the AVG interface to get it working 

Should I be experiencing slowing reactions speeds using only one Ram stick in slot 4 when there is usually the whole 6 because I am not.The computers response is still quite quick, no difference really from before it went bung. I thought the desktop would operate more slow ?
I will keep testing & move onto slot 5 & 6 ..have a great weekend thank you
 

Well that certainly sounds like that's where the issue is then, although I will need to double check this is what I think, as I have never had to test Tri ram, and there may be some weird issue I've not seen before, but it certainly looking like a bad board currently, get sticks 2 and 3 tested over the weekend, and see if that does the same, but what comes next may be a challenge, as theoretically they need to sort out a new board for you, but with the "help" they have been so far, you may end up getting someone else to sort it.

 

The speed will be slower, but as to how noticeable that is, will depend on how much resources your system requires, e.g. video editing uses a lot of ram but Word would take next to nothing compared, but as you have 4gig sticks, it should still run quite respectably, but as a closing thought, when you have tested sticks 2 and 3, try sitting all 3 sticks into the 2nd batch of slots (the ones you have put the one stick in currently), when doing this, think of them as going into their Slot 1, 2 ,3 positions, but in slots 4, 5, and 6, so slot 4 acts as slot 1, slot 5 acts as slot 2 etc., moving away from the heatsink as you go, I hope that makes sense lol. :scratch:  :D

 

The install\running issues can be dealt with after we have got the system stable, to waste time on that now could be a complete loss if the system needs reinstalling again, not sure on your currency, but that motherboard is just under $300 US, so the invoice is comparable, BUT, without knowing what board you had previously it's hard to say if that cost was justified or not, so let us know what happens with the tests, then we can go from there.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI