This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

cannot enter password

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

What password? Is this when you are booting normally or when you try to boot the BartPE disc?

Explain exactly what is happening.



>> I tried to make a bartpe disc. I am not clear what happened but I took the disc out. The pc does not respond to any disc; bart, macrium, windows.
I corrupted the reg and think it is dead. Using the ease of use keyboard I reinstalled win 8 and all is ok except I cannot type and when I boot up I have to use the ease of use keyboard to log in.
I am going to try to use the 2 factory dvs I got with the pc but I think the machine is dead.
Any ideas?
I don't see how trying to make a BartPE disk (for Macrium????) can trash your computer. Does the keyboard work in BIOS or UEFI setup? Does the keyboard work on any othr computr? Have you tried a different keyboard? If wireless, did you try new battery in the keyboard? If wired, did you try different USB ports? Laptop or Desktop? If laptop, try connecting a USB keyboard. If Desktop, try the power reset process. Power down and remove power cord. Pull the CMOS battery, Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to drain mother board capacitors. Install CMOS battery. Plug in the power cord. Power up. Setup BIOS/UEFI, see if that helped.
The moment the Bartpe was done the wireless keyboard stopped and that's it :wub: I jumped through hoops then recovered with Macrium which is why I don't want to lose that imaging feature or at least learn how to handle UEFI. Imaging is critical to me. I really do appreciate the advice and you were right. Thank you
Rich Doesn't this mean that with UEFI secure boot disabled and CMA launched we can use Macrium as we used to with the old BIOS? Or does it mean we can use it as is? I am confused about rescue discs as I have been told with those features attended to, it can be used as the old BIOS. Only with the Windows image do we need a special disc. Peter

Peter, read here: Feature list - Macrium Software

It says:

UEFI Support

Support for the latest UEFI motherboards with GPT booting.


The latest free version has this support:

[attachment removed]



>>I have the free version 5.2 which is the latest update. It is build 6399. I hope the UEFI coverage applies to me as it appears.
R - 1st I solved my lockout issue, ran sfc which required DISM. I have imaged to both external drives. I have the old BIOS machines but feel confident that I can set the UEFI so it will boot as the old BIOS. I thought the new discs were for Macrium but they are for Windows backup, as I read it. With the CMA launched and the secure boot disabled we can use it like the old BIOS. Hope I am ok with this. P
if you want to use secure boot enabled then you need to use macrium reflects windows pe and adk.

this explains it. :- http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/Advanced_To…ows_ADK_AIK.htm

with secure boot disabled you can use whatever you like.

uefi and gpt do not enter the equation.

uefi is just a new better way of implementing hardware input/output functionality that used to be done by bios.
and
gpt is just a new type of partition table needed for hard drives bigger than 2TB, i think uefi uses it by default, but the old bios can be made to use it too.

and like Ztruker has pointed out, macrium reflect works with both.

:popcorn:
Thank you for clearing that up. I can either disable secure boot and launch CMA or use Macrium's new way as it is . I have to read Ztruker's tutorial again as I do not understand which rescue disc to create with Macrium if I do not disable the 2 UEFI features.
If I currently have the old BIOS I leave it as is with LINUX. If I change to UEFI I then choose the ADK rescue option? The second one cannot be used with the older BIOS I have or not?
If I currently have the old BIOS I leave it as is with LINUX. If I change to UEFI I then choose the ADK rescue option? The second one cannot be used with the older BIOS I have or not?

Peter, read here: Feature list - Macrium Software

It says:

UEFI Support

Support for the latest UEFI motherboards with GPT booting.


The latest free version has this support:

[attachment removed]



>>R - Should I make the new rescue disk that is not Linux to cover both my older BIOS and the newer UEFI or does the new one only handle UEFI? I'm sorry but I am trying to figure out which disc you use and how to use it. I currently use the Linux and all my recoveries are fine.
I am reading your kind tutorials and wish I were able to better understand . P

if you want to use secure boot enabled then you need to use macrium reflects windows pe and adk.

this explains it. :- http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/Advanced_To…ows_ADK_AIK.htm

with secure boot disabled you can use whatever you like.

uefi and gpt do not enter the equation.

uefi is just a new better way of implementing hardware input/output functionality that used to be done by bios.
and
gpt is just a new type of partition table needed for hard drives bigger than 2TB, i think uefi uses it by default, but the old bios can be made to use it too.

and like Ztruker has pointed out, macrium reflect works with both.

:popcorn:



>>If I have a BIOS PC can I make the UEFI disc for that type of pc or should I wait. I'm thinking perhaps Macrium knows my machine, (BIOS) and will not make the right disc for both UEFI and BIOS. right now my Linux works.
If I can make the WinPE disc, and it will recover both BIOS images and UEFI images I will do it. I don't know how Macrium will read my pc's architecture.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI