Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

trouble shooting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hello I have Comcast's triple play and occasionally lose phone and internet until I reset the gateway. Between phone, monitor, pc, printer, gateway, external drives, and a lamp I need a few receptacles. I have been talking a lot with Comcast who admits to intermittent power drops. I have tried taking different things out of the loop. I use 2 surge suppressors as I don't want my digital equipment spiked and need that many receptacles. My question is, if the phone and pc go out and I can fix it by resetting the gateway, can I conclude it is the gateway that should be replaced? Thank you Peter

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

You need to talk to Comcast when it goes out. They can run tests on the modem to determine the cause of the failure. They are usually pretty good at narrowing down the issue and sending a tech out if there is something that needs to be replaced. But, I only deal with them on business class service. Doesn't Comcast use a different modem for phone and internet? Or is that just on business class?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hello I just got the issue resolved. Of course when more than one thing is done, you don't know what the fix was. A qualified tech super came out and started at the Comcast box then replaced or tested splitters connections etc. and all is well. It took 2 months, may techs and hours on the phone. I luckily got the district supers email address and told him FIOS was in the neighborhood and this is the last try. He found an open cable that he said could be getting back feed but that was always like that even when we had no trouble. I would say the things he did that fixed the issue, was replacing the splitters, however, he could have done something I did not see. It is amazing that they(techs) just hook up the gateway and call the company for activation. They do no configuring of the router so you are left with 'weak security' in the form of WEP. I knew somewhat about routers to a degree from my previous one so could set a key and use WPA 2- PSK . I have a nice router and would like to get my own modem to use with it but if there was a problem they could blame/charge me. At least this way, leasing the gateway, I am covered. Redundantly, we pay for insurance so we do not get charged for service calls. Comcast is this nation's largest isp and like a lot of other things, is deficient. I am thinking of getting a cloud based book and keep any security data in a paper notebook. At least my wife could use it if something happens to me and I can lessen my load at my age and health. Windows is leaning toward techy people not the average person. I don't think most people are going to continue trying to figure out what all these techy issues are all about much longer. As feeble as it is the Cloud book does what most people need with no degree in computer science. Sorry to ramble.

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

Glad you got it figured out. I suspected something on the line or the gateway itself. You just have to get the right people to look at it.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Are you still working on your MS courses? For young bright folks it is laudable.