This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

trouble shooting

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have Comcast's triple play and occasionally lose phone and internet until I reset the gateway. Between phone, monitor, pc, printer, gateway, external drives, and a lamp I need a few receptacles. I have been talking a lot with Comcast who admits to intermittent power drops. I have tried taking different things out of the loop. I use 2 surge suppressors as I don't want my digital equipment spiked and need that many receptacles. My question is, if the phone and pc go out and I can fix it by resetting the gateway, can I conclude it is the gateway that should be replaced? Thank you Peter
You need to talk to Comcast when it goes out. They can run tests on the modem to determine the cause of the failure. They are usually pretty good at narrowing down the issue and sending a tech out if there is something that needs to be replaced. But, I only deal with them on business class service. Doesn't Comcast use a different modem for phone and internet? Or is that just on business class?
Hello I just got the issue resolved. Of course when more than one thing is done, you don't know what the fix was. A qualified tech super came out and started at the Comcast box then replaced or tested splitters connections etc. and all is well. It took 2 months, may techs and hours on the phone. I luckily got the district supers email address and told him FIOS was in the neighborhood and this is the last try. He found an open cable that he said could be getting back feed but that was always like that even when we had no trouble. I would say the things he did that fixed the issue, was replacing the splitters, however, he could have done something I did not see. It is amazing that they(techs) just hook up the gateway and call the company for activation. They do no configuring of the router so you are left with 'weak security' in the form of WEP. I knew somewhat about routers to a degree from my previous one so could set a key and use WPA 2- PSK . I have a nice router and would like to get my own modem to use with it but if there was a problem they could blame/charge me. At least this way, leasing the gateway, I am covered. Redundantly, we pay for insurance so we do not get charged for service calls. Comcast is this nation's largest isp and like a lot of other things, is deficient. I am thinking of getting a cloud based book and keep any security data in a paper notebook. At least my wife could use it if something happens to me and I can lessen my load at my age and health. Windows is leaning toward techy people not the average person. I don't think most people are going to continue trying to figure out what all these techy issues are all about much longer. As feeble as it is the Cloud book does what most people need with no degree in computer science. Sorry to ramble.
Glad you got it figured out. I suspected something on the line or the gateway itself. You just have to get the right people to look at it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI