Hi,
I'm having several issues that I think must be Windows related. I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Studio XPS that's about 2 yrs old. The various problems that occur from time to time are:
1. The computer will just shut down and when it re-boots it says Windows has recovered from an unexpected error.
2. I have 3 monitors hooked up to my system and when I have a problem with some software sometimes one of the monitors will come on with a screwed up picture and I can usually unplug the usb cable and plug
it into another port and things are fine and sometimes it requires a reboot. Other times the third monitor won't come on at all and I have to go into the monitor settings and tell it that I have 3 monitors and which one
my desktop belongs on because sometimes that has moved.
3. I have several trading platforms on this computer. I tried loading another platform on here and had major problems meaning it wouldn't run correctly on my computer and kept locking the computer up and causing
the the above 2 problems to occur more often. I finally had to take that software off but not after many calls to the tech support at that company. The last straw was an 8 hour call to them. They couldn't find any
problems with their software. Many people run all these programs on their computer so it shouldn't be a problem on my machine.
4. One of my trading platforms seems to have problems that no one else is having and I have to think Windows is involved.
I realize all this is a bit nebulous but I'm not sure being more specific about the software is going to help.
Thanks
Let's start with the shutdown problem. Does the computer restart by itself? If so it's probably getting a BSOD. Download and run BlueScreenView, see what it tells you.
Also, check C:\Windows\minidump. If there are .dmp file there, zip up the last 3 or 4 and upload here. Use the Browse, Upload and Manage buttons below the text input area to do this.
Yes, the computer will usually re-start by itself. I have attached the Blue Screen file but I can't get the dmp files to you. When I tried to zip them up it said I didn't have access to them even though I'm the administrator (it's my computer). Then I tried copying the dmp file to my desktop, which worked, but then when I tried to upload the file I got an error message saying I can't upload that type of file.
Any suggestions?
i don't think it's a windows or software problem, i think you may have a serious hardware problem. ie. cpu.
so i think your going to have to run through a series of hardware troubleshooting to narrow down exactly which piece of hardware is causing the problems.
I ran a driver scanner and found I had a number of drivers that needed updating so I'm working on that. While reviewing my BlueScreenView log i see a 0x000000d1 error and found this link on the web: http://www.0x000000d1.com/stop-0x000000d1.html I was wondering if you know anything about this and if it's safe.
You need to zip the .dmp files and upload the resulting .zip file.
I would not run the tools at the link you posted on my computer.
The first thing you should do is make sure anything you don't want to lose is backed up. An image backup to an external hard drive is the best way. Buy an external USB attached hard drive and use the backup software that comes with it (usually Acronis) if there is one, other wise use Macrium Reflect Free edition. Otherwise backup just the data you don't want to lose.
Then you should start thinking about reloading Windows 7, either Factory restore or Clean Install using a Windows 7 DVD or bootable flash drive. If you don't have a Win 7 install DVD I can provide instructions on where to download a legal .ISO and create a DVD or bootable flash drive (how I do this).
The first thing that I need help on is getting my display adapter to show under device manager. I deleted it in safe mode and re-started the computer expecting it to reload but it didn't. Now it's not showing there and I can only get 1 monitor of my 3 to display. Can you advise on that please.
Enter your service tag number then download and install the driver for your video card. If it's an add-on that you installed then go to the vidoe card manufacturers web site and download the driver from there.
You could also try doing a Windows Update (Control Panel, Windows Update), see if it finds the driver.
XPS 7100.
I installed an Nvidia Galaxy GEFORCE GT 610 card a while back. Like I said I deleted the display adapter from Device Mgr. but upon re-boot it didn't add it back. I called Nvidia and he said I needed to go to the Dell website and download the video driver then get back to him for the GT 610 drivers. He said I have to get the video drivers before he can help me any further. I've been on the Dell site for a while and found a driver for the 7100 but after downloading it and extracting it I get this message "There was a conflict with a downloaded rule's digital signature". I'm not sure what to do now.
I looked at Windows update but no help.
not sure if installing a driver is going to help tho, if it doesn't show up in hardware device manager.
might be confusing myself tho, been a long while since i've worked with a windows pc, but if it didn't show up there i thought it meant there was a hardware problem somewhere, either with the device or on the motherboard, maybe lacking power. shrugs.
think i'd try removing and reinstalling it, maybe in a different slot if there's one available.
just to reiterate Ztruker too, i wouldn't go installing any software to automatically fix anything, especially not from that site you linked to earlier, i'd wait for Ztruker to recommend any software and supply links to any fixes that he feels may be needed.
Wow!!! What a long, strange trip it's been today. I won't bore you with the details but over the past 4 hours I finally got the display adapter back into device mgr with updated video drivers courtesy of Windows - along the way not being able to get the computer started at all for about an hour or so. I think there was something loose but still what a pain! I have not been able to get the GEFORCE drivers loaded. I have downloaded them to my desktop and twice tried to install them with the same result - BSOD error 0x000000019.
One thing I don't understand is Terry said one of the problems may be a hardware issue because of the 124 error message and Ztuker, in one of your recent posts you talk about backing things up like we're going to do a Windows re-install. If I'm reading this correctly and it's hardware related why re-install Windows? During my work this afternoon I was on Dell's site I saw something about re-installing Windows without losing your work - are you all familiar with that? I didn't take the time to look into it.
I can't zip up the dmp files - I tried that before - because it says I can't upload that type of file. So, what can I do for you next?
Thanks to both of you for your help so far.
You should be able to upload a file with a file type of .zip.
Are you able to see the video card in Device Manager following my instructions?
Normally a CD or DVD comes with a new video card. Maybe you have one????
This is the driver I find in the Nvidia site for your video card: GeForce 320.49 Driver (WHQL)
There are also several Beta drivers available.
No way for me or you to know if this is a hardware problem or not. You can try replacing the video card, but a replacement runs $50 to $60.
I think a reinstall is the way to go. You can try a Repair Install which leaves your data and some installed programs still working but many will need to be reinstalled. This is the method you asked about.
Re .dmp files, previously you said "When I tried to zip them up it said I didn't have access to them even though I'm the administrator (it's my computer)."
Are you saying now you can zip them but the upload here fails? If so, what is the exact error message please. I'll ask one of the Admins to take a look and see why that is happening.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI