This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Think I have a virus (PUP.Optional)

32 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The only other thing I can think of to try is typing in: fixmbr

tap enter and answer yes

Reboot normal and lets see what happens.

If Normal doesn't work, try Safe Mode
Ok, I typed in fixmbr and then said yes. Writing a new master boot record on physical drive \Device\Harddisk0\Partition0 … came up. It was really quick maybe a second or two. Then it said The new master boot record has been successfully written and then the same prompt. I rebooted, the Dell screen came up. Then it asked how i wanted to start it so I entered Normal. The Windows XP screen came up, then it went blank again. Again, this is where the blue screen comes up that I enter my administrator password. But again its blank/black screen. Going to try Safe mode now.
Tried Safe Mode and a list of multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\ (with various endings) came up and its still up on my screen. It isn't doing anything else
Ok, but it doesn't sound or seem like its doing anything. And any other time I had to start in safe mode it would scroll through this list really quick and then move on. It isn't moving at all. Thanks!
I tried each one again a couple times and they keep doing the same thing. Normal goes to a blank/black screen and safe mode or safe mode with networking only goes to that list then stops. A friend of mine knows someone who works on computers and they said they could take a look at it for me. Probably cost a lot to fix. That's why I thought I would try you guys first. But, maybe I could have him take a look at it. And, if its going to cost a lot or he can't fix it, I could just reinstall the OS. But, does there happen to be anyone here that might be able to help me with the reinstall?. Because, if I'm remembering correctly, I thought I needed some drivers or something when I had to reinstall it several years ago. And, I don't know anything about drivers or most things that have to do with an OS. I really really appreciate all your time and help you've dedicated to helping me!!!! Thank you again so very very much!
At this point I'd have someone that has software that they might be able to use or take your hard drive and put it in another computer to try and repair it that way. If you don't have anything that important on the computer you can use the steps we used to format that partition and install Windows yourself.
The only other computer I have is my son's laptop(what I'm on now). I don't think the hard drive from my desktop computer(the one that's messed up) will fit in a laptop. I guess I could have that one guy my friend knows take a look at it. He said he would look at it for free and give me an estimate of what it would cost to fix it. If it would be an easy fix for him(which I'm kinda doubting now) it probably wouldn't cost to much. But, if it is going to cost a lot, I guess I'll try and reinstall Windows XP. I have a bunch of pictures and some documents and things I'd like to try and save. But, if I can't then I'll have to start over. Does there happen to be anyone here at wtt that would be able to help me with the reinstall of Windows XP? I'm still not really sure about formatting, partitions and all of that stuff. If there might be someone there that could help me, that would be great! Thank you so very much again for all your help and time!!!!
I'm sure one of the Tech Team members would be able to help you with installing Windows. If you end up needing help with that, start a new topic in our Windows section.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI