This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Think I have a virus (PUP.Optional)

32 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Try changing your settings. Right Click any open area on the desktop > Select Properties > Screen Saver Set that to about 30 minutes Click the Power button > under Power Schemes Turn off monitor = After 1 hour Turn off hard disk = After 1 hour System Standby = never System hibernates = never Let me know if that worked
The screen saver I had set to 60 minutes under Power button - power schemes I had Turn monitor off - after 2 hours and Turn hard disk off - never also I already had the System stand by - never and System hibernates - never Again it took me a while to be able to get to my desk top(because it keeps going into sleep mode) but when I did, I tried changing the settings as you suggested. And as soon as I did and clicked ok and the box was closed out, my computer went into sleep mode again. And kept going into sleep mode when I tried to restart my computer. :pullhair: I'm not sure if you seen in my post that I ran a Spybot scan, I posted the results because there were some things that showed up on that. It was different than what showed up on the Malwarebytes scan. Just thought I'd mention that. I'll keep trying to run the scans as asked before but I'm not sure if they are going to work. I wish it would quite going into sleep mode. But, I guess that's probably the virus thats making it do that. If you happen to have any other suggestions, I'd surely appreciate it. Thanks so much for all your help again!
Disconnect from the internet and reboot in Safe Mode. We are going to try System Restore to restore the system prior to the infection. Depending on your Windows version. Windows XP Option 1. Step 1: Use F8 to Boot to SafeMode With Command Prompt At the command prompt type in: rstrui.exe Option 2. Step 1: Use F8 to Boot to SafeMode With Command Prompt Step 2: Use ctrl/alt/del (keys) to get task manager opened Step 3: choose file and create new task Step 4: Then Navigate to: C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter and press Enter (double click rstrui.exe) and press Enter (double click rstrui) Step 5: Restore Computer to a Date you know you were virus free Step 6: Run Malwarebytes Let us know if that solves the issue.
Well, here's the problem with system restore. I downloaded a version of yahoo messenger but i didn't like it because it was all kinds of messengers in one, not just yahoo messenger., I didn't download the original yahoo messenger from yahoo site because I kept getting an error saying I had to clear at least 100mb of space to be able to download it. So, I uninstalled some programs I wasn't using and I used some cleaner that Windows has(and also did a disc defragment). It had asked me if I want to get rid of all but the most recent restore point and so I did.I I hadn't had any problems in years so I thought I would be alright. But it still didn't help and i still kept getting the error message when I tried to install yahoo messenger from yahoo site. So I got it from another site. Like I said I didn't like the messenger I installed so I uninstalled it. That's when I started having all these problems, with my computer. I couldn't get into any of my programs. So I wrote in here and they had me do a system restore. Then I was able to get into my programs but then it kept going into sleep mode. So, they had me come to this thread for help with the virus. I believe the furthest restore point still has the infection. But, I'm willing to try it any way I'm just not sure if I should since I already restored to the furthest point.. Just thought I should let you know about what happened with the restore points. Should I go ahead and still try to restore any way? Thanks so much again for all you help!

Here is a link to the very first post I wrote in when I couldn't get into any programs …… http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=126681
I have a Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 2 disc. I'm not sure if I have the product key though. But I think its missing some of the drivers, for graphics(or something like that) I don't really remember exactly what. But, pretty sure its missing/doesn't have some drivers. I've always had Windows XP. I don't have Vista. Also, several years ago when I had some problems and I came here for help, when I used (think it was Combofix) it installed something that comes up at the very beginning when I start my computer. Something about Microsoft windows configuration, maybe? Combofix downloaded something to help in the future if I would have some problems. Thought I should mention that. Not sure if thats any help or not. I'm so sorry for all the problems. But, thanks so much again for all your help.
Sorry I thought for some reason you had Vista. Lets try this: Click Start > Run > type in CMD tap enter At the command prompt type in Chkdsk /r <–Note the space, it needs to be there. tap enter It should ask if you want to run check disk next time you restart. Select yes and tap enter. Type in Exit. Restart the computer and let check disk run. Let me know how that went.
I'm really sorry I didn't think this last post went through. And I remembered the name of the Combofix thing it downloaded. Microsoft Windows recovery console. I will try what you wrote in your last post and get back to you. Thanks so much again!
No problem about thinking I had Vista. I just wanted to let you know I had XP just so there wouldn't be any confusion if you would ask me to do something and I couldn't find it,etc. Ok, I ran the chkdsk and it said it finished scanning and nothing was found(or something like that (it flashed on the screen kind of quick). But it didn't say that it found anything wrong.
I hope this works with your XP SP2 cd because you updated to SP3.


We're going to try a repair install.

This will only replace Windows but it will also replace your My Documents folder so if you have anything in there you want to keep, be sure to save it.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm


Arrow down to:
XP Repair install
Ok. I will give it a try. I'll need a little bit of time since I'll have to go through all my documents and get them backed up. It might take some time to do since I have many documents and with the computer going into sleep mode every couple minutes. I also have to run out for a little but will work on this as soon as I get back. Just wanted to let you know so you weren't waiting. But, I will let you know how it goes and soon as I can. Thanks so very much again for all your help! I'm keepin my fingers crossed that it will work!!! : )
I'm really sorry its taking me so long but I'm having a hard time trying to back up my documents. Either the computer keeps going into sleep mode before I can get to my desktop or if I can get to my desktop it only stays there for a few minutes then goes into sleep mode. When it goes into sleep mode, it won't come out of it so I have to keep shutting the computer off and back on. Then it just keeps repeating all over again………. turn it off, wait about 30 seconds to a minute, turn it back on, then it usually goes into sleep mode before it gets to my desktop applications. If i get lucky and it goes to my desktop applications it only stays up/there for a couple minutes then goes into sleep mode again………… :pullhair: I'm going to keep trying. I just wanted to write in and let you know whats going on so this post didn't get stopped. I will let you know as soon as or if I have any luck backing up my documents and trying the last thing you suggested, Unless you might happen to have any other ideas? Thanks again for all your help!
Does it also do this in Safe Mode? Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen. Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter. This can take several minutes to load.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI