This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Another Win32 Downloader [Solved]

53 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thank you, OCD! I will commence attending to your instructions in the morning. I want to have a clear head and bright skies to fully appreciate all you've done to help! I will report back when all have been completed.
Hello, OCD. Sorry for the delay. I've done the CF uninstall and the cOTL clean up. Java not so easy. Java does not show up in any version in Add/Remove. It is in the program files on the C drive but properties does not reflect version and there is no uninstall that I can see. I held off downloading the new version until I hear from you. I'll clean up the rest of the remnants after this. Thanks.
Hi, OCD. Java has been downloaded and your instructions on securing it have been followed. I have read the tutorial for MVP HOSTS and will download it when I have a full understanding. It mentioned WinPatrol which I currently use and like. I'm also going to install the Firefox add-ons you've suggested. I'm a little shakey on the firewall . I believe AVG has a firewall and I've always heard that you shouldn't run multiples. I believe it can be disabled if you believe one of the other is better. I used Zone Alarm for awhile, but it was a real hog! I assume you agree I should definately upgrade IE to the latest and greatest. I have been getting a "script" notice that requires "stop running" when entering this page. I'm assuming that is related to IE? Lastly, is there any way of knowing where the hell this thing came from? I rarely download things on this 'puter and am very cautious with email. I very much appreciate all your quick, thorough, and thoughtful assistance… and your patience. It has to get frustrating sometimes,, but you do a fantastic job! Thank you ever so much! :thumbup:
Hi Bob L,

You're welcome, always glad to be able to help. :D

AVG is only an Anti-Virus, it does not have a Firewall feature.

In my recommendation section there are a few FREE Firewall suggestions you can try. Keep in mind that each one has it's own learning curve, both for you the user and that of the computer learning what programs you want to allow access.

This is what you are currently using for protection:
  • Windows Firewall
  • AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2013
If you should choose to change to a different firewall, be sure to disable the Windows firewall.

Update Internet Explorer if you like. Sometimes getting and update might degrade or change the user experience. If you experience that you can always uninstall, then reinstall a previous version.

Unfortunately, there is really now way to say exactly how you contracted the malware. Just remember to always keep your Firewall and Anti-Virus enabled and up to date, and run regular scans with MalwareBytes' to help keep the wolves at bay.

Please reply back if you have any more questions. Let me know when you have finished so we can wrap up this thread and send you on your way. :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI