Software
desktop not under libraries in windows 8
5 min read
PattiChati
Topic Starter
When I go to save stuff, I always saved to desktop. Well in Windows 8, it doesn't have "desktop" as a library. Any ideas how to get one there? I try just adding a new folder and calling it desktop, but that didn't work. Just said folder was empty. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Lee
PattiChati
This doesn't seem to work in windows 8.. I found the desktop in my apps, but if I right click it doesn''t give me an option to add to library, it just says unpin from desktop
Lee
Try this:
1. Open your desktop (On the Start screen, click on the Desktop tile).
ScreenClip000007.jpg
2. Create a new folder on the desktop and name it Desktop 2 (or whatever you like, just don't name it 'desktop').
3. Right -click the folder.
4. Hover the mouse over Include in library in the drop-down menu.
5. In the menu that appears to the right, click on Create new library .
You should now have a new library folder listed called Desktop 2.
ScreenClip000008.jpg
————————————————–
OR
————————————————–
If you want your main Desktop to appear in libaries:
1. Open your folder view.
2. Right-click on the Desktop folder.
3. In the windows that opened chose Include in library.
ScreenClip000009.jpg
You now have a duplicate Desktop folder under libaries that shows everything on your Desktop.
1. Open your desktop (On the Start screen, click on the Desktop tile).
ScreenClip000007.jpg
2. Create a new folder on the desktop and name it Desktop 2 (or whatever you like, just don't name it 'desktop').
3. Right -click the folder.
4. Hover the mouse over Include in library in the drop-down menu.
5. In the menu that appears to the right, click on Create new library .
You should now have a new library folder listed called Desktop 2.
ScreenClip000008.jpg
————————————————–
OR
————————————————–
If you want your main Desktop to appear in libaries:
1. Open your folder view.
2. Right-click on the Desktop folder.
3. In the windows that opened chose Include in library.
ScreenClip000009.jpg
You now have a duplicate Desktop folder under libaries that shows everything on your Desktop.
PattiChati
I would like it to look like your second screenshot, but I can't accomplish that. I do have the first one though, and saved things go to that, but not on my general desktop. The desktop folder does not show anything that is on my desktop. On the second suggestion it says open your folder view. Does that mean open the folder on your desktop that says desktop2? If I am saving a picture, I want it to save on the desktop, not in a folder on the desktop.. Window 8 is certainly not an improvement of windows 7. When I go to "include in libraries" you have to create a new library and it still doesn't show your destop. It does not look like your last screenshot
Lee
On the second suggestion it says open your folder view. Does that mean open the folder on your desktop that says desktop2?
No, it will only show what is in Desktop 2 folder.
If you want to see your main desktop only, follow my second set of instructions exactly. The result will be in the 2nd screen capture as shown (a Desktop icon under the libraries heading). When you open that icon, you will see what is on your actual Desktop. If you add anything to that icon, it will appear on your Desktop.
If that is what you want, delete the 'Desktop 2' folder after you created the above.
PattiChati
When you say open your folder view, what folder are you referring to? Where do I find my folder view? If I go to my tiles, and open desktop, it shows me the desktop. Right clicking on it, doesn't give me an option to put in libraries. If I go to desktop in my apps, it does the same thing. I followed your instructions exactly, except I opened everything that said desktop folder
I was just googling how to do this and in all the screenshots they showed, it already had desktop as part of the library. I don't know if I ever had "desktop" in my libraries and lost it or what.
Lee
Open any main folder heading (your name, my Docs, My pictures etc. any main folder at all)When you say open your folder view, what folder are you referring to?
On the left-hand side you will see a folder view like so:
ScreenClip000010.jpg
1. Just right-click 'Desktop'
2. In the windows that opened chose Include in library.
That's all there is to it.
ScreenClip000009.jpg
PattiChati
What I am trying to say is in your folder view you already have desktop listed. On mine there is no "desktop" listed to right click on. I have no desktop under favorites or in library
Lee
Are you using a W7 type start menu app. in W8?
PattiChati
No, just windows 8 in its original format
ionamartin123
Lee, just reading the posts as it's interesting. You seem to be very helpful uploading screenshots. Just stopped to appreciate!
Lee
Lee, just reading the posts as it's interesting. You seem to be very helpful uploading screenshots. Just stopped to appreciate!
Thank you
Lee
What I am trying to say is in your folder view you already have desktop listed. On mine there is no "desktop" listed to right click on. I have no desktop under favorites or in library
Press Windows key + E and it will open the main folder view.
Do you not see "desktop" listed in the left-side list of folders and icons?
If you have a desktop tile on the 'Start' page, you must have a desktop icon in the main folder view (?)
PattiChati
no i don't but when I first got windows 8 I downloaded a program that the store recommended to make it look like windows 7. I didn't like how it made my computer work, so I uninstalled it. That might be when I noticed there was no desktop.
That is ok, I can save to another folder I will make on the desktop and then save to that.
Thanks for your help Lee.
Patti
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI