This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Crashing at Random [Solved]

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Here's the contents of the ESET scan, sorry it was running when I went to work and was finished when I got home. C:\Users\Cody\Downloads\Adobe Reader.exe MSIL/Solimba.L application
First open an elevated command prompt > Click Start and type cmd in Start Search.
When cmd.exe populates above, right click it and select Run as Administrator to open an elevated command prompt.

Copy the contents of the code box > right click in the command window and select paste
del "C:\Users\Cody\Downloads\Adobe Reader.exe"
Press Enter (you won't actually see anything happen)
Close the Command Prompt window.

——————————————-

Let me know what remaining problems you are having with malware? :)
Alright, did that, I haven't had any problems recently. Do I need to run the ESET scan again to make sure I properly deleted that file?

Do I need to run the ESET scan again to make sure I properly deleted that file?

Nope… :)

Providing there are no other malware related problems…

[external image: Posted Image]IT APPEARS THAT YOUR LOGS ARE NOW CLEAN

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees. As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.
———-

[external image: Posted Image] Clean up with OTL:
  • Right-click and Run as Administrator OTL.exe to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
———-

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop. If you did not have Malwarebytes Antimalware before, I would keep it and run it weekly.
———-

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

1. Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
2. FireFox If you use Firefox, I recommend installing the following add-ons to help make your Firefox browser more secure:
NoScript
AdBlock Plus

3. Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

4. Firewall
Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. **There are firewalls that could be downloaded and used but I would personally only recommend using one of the following two below:
Online Armor Free
Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free

5. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current. Windows XP users can visit Windows update regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems. Without these you are leaving the back door open.

6. WOT (Web of Trust) As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.

7. Finally, I strongly recommend that you read Miekiemoes' great advice How to prevent malware.

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.
———-
Everything seems to be running fine, thank you very much for you help, you guys are awesome! One last question is it ok to delete the registry back-up program? Other than that everything seems to be running fine now with no crashes. Thanks again!

One last question is it ok to delete the registry back-up program?

You are more than welcome to do that or you can keep it to occasionally back up your registry. :) Glad that I was able to help!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI