This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Installing Java

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm trying to install the latest Java version for Windows VistaError (version 7 update 17). Getting error 1310: Error writing to file C:\config.msi\3ee24d5.rbf I had previously disabled Java in Control Panel (classic view) > Java > Properties Tried to re-enable Java the same way, but it's no longer listed in Control Panel. It's still listed under Add/Remove programs (Java 7 Update 15), but I get the same 1310 error when attempting to uninstall. I have several programs that require Java, unable to run these until this is resolved. I tried deleting the config.msi folder, unregistering and reregistering msiexec, and turning off the Windows firewall. No luck. Any ideas? Thanks! …Steve

See here: Java Setup Problems, see if this helps.


The file info says it's a fix for the following problem: When you attempt to run the java installer file you receive the message: This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?

That's not the error message I'm receiving. Also, it appears to be directed at Java version 6, while I have version 7. I'm a bit reluctant to play around with the registry if this isn't directed at the issue I'm having. Any thoughts?

…Steve
Try the stand alone installer. Go to java.com Click on Downloads next to Help Center at the top. Click on See all Java downloads Download trhe 32 or 64 bit offline installer. See if that will install. You should probably uninstall all existing Java from Control Panel, Programs and Features first.
Thanks Ztruker. I've tried the standalone installer, same error. And when I try to delete Java thru Control Panel, get the same error. So at this point, I'm unable to either delete or install Java. Sigh
Do you really need Java? Most folks don't any more and since there have been so many severe security issues with Java, I recommend you uninstall it, and keep it uninstalled, unless you really REALLY REALLY need it.

Oracle 'fesses up: Java security flaws more than storm in teacup

The US Dept of Homeland Security's US-CERT is still recommending all users disable Java in their browsers: US-CERT: Disable Java in Browsers

I removed Java from my systems more than a month ago and have not run into a single site I needed it for.

Did you try uninstalling older versions with JavaRA?

If you absolutely must have Java for something important, I recommend you download and install an alternative browser (Chrome if your normally use IE, for example) then use that alternative browser with Java ONLY when you need to access a site requiring it.

Do you really need Java? Most folks don't any more and since there have been so many severe security issues with Java, I recommend you uninstall it, and keep it uninstalled, unless you really REALLY REALLY need it.


I've had it disabled in the browsers for quite a while, but I have a couple of open source programs that apparently require it to run. When I try to start these programs, get error message: Windows cannot find JAVAW
Well, personally, I would try to find alternatives to those open source programs. In any case, the advice I gave in my last post still applies.

another tech forum they mentioned that the Java vulnerabilities are in the browser plugins, not the program itself. Dunno whether or not that's true…

Since Java is a plug-in, I would say it is the problem - and why US-CERT recommends disabling it in ALL browsers.

Since Java is a plug-in, I would say it is the problem - and why US-CERT recommends disabling it in ALL browsers.


I have it disabled in all the browsers. But I'm still able to use Java in other programs that have nothing to do with the browsers.
Along with the Java version 7 came a newly designed Java console, which simplified how to run or not run Java.

The enable / disable check box makes Java very simple to turn off and on when needed.
📎ScreenClip000019.jpg

To further enhance easy use, I can now set it to only run in IE10 when I "enable" Java, but not in my main use Mozilla browser.
📎ScreenClip000018.jpg

Just as an experiment, I have had Java disabled in both browsers since the introduction Java 7 and after reading the US-CERT recommendations.
Rather than completely remove Java, I still have it just in case I need it. Surprisingly, I have never had one instance of where I have had to enable it.

Just my 2c worth anyway :)

Surprisingly, I have never had one instance of where I have had to enable it.

Me either. That is why after Oracle's Java Fix Fizzled, I removed it completely nearly 2 months ago. Why have something on my computer that keeps needing security updates, if I don't need it?

Now I don't worry about Java any more. So that's gone, I replaced Adobe Reader with FoxIt, now I just need a good alternative to Adobe Flash. :(

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI