Software
backing up pictures and financials
22 min read
PattiChati
Topic Starter
I have been sick for quite a while and cannot find what I am looking for, that is backing up. While I was sick my hard drive broke. Right now all I want to do is backuip my pictures and excel financials on a disk or flash drive. Can you tell me exactly how to do it, how to pull the data out. I can't think I feel so lousy to think. So if you wouldn't mind being real specific this time I would appreciate it. My daughter is getting me a new hard drive and hopefully hook it up. Thank you
Lee
Hi Patti,
Sorry to hear you have not been well and to top it off, your hard-drive went pear-shaped
Follow this excellent how-to from Gary: How to recover files from Windows using Puppy Linux.
Cheers,
Lee
PS edit:
If you would rather do this with a disk than a USB thumb drive (some BIOS settings have no auto-USB boot detection or USB 1st boot setting), let me know.
Sorry to hear you have not been well and to top it off, your hard-drive went pear-shaped
Follow this excellent how-to from Gary: How to recover files from Windows using Puppy Linux.
Cheers,
Lee
PS edit:
If you would rather do this with a disk than a USB thumb drive (some BIOS settings have no auto-USB boot detection or USB 1st boot setting), let me know.
PattiChati
I haven't lost anything on my computer yet, but just don't have a hard drive to back it up right now. How do I back up my pictures and financials on a DVD, so in case anything happens before I get my hard drive (the way my luck has been going!!!) I want those. So can you - step by step - tell me how to back them up. I always get confused as to where the actual data is. I've tried copying a program to a disk and it didn't work, so this has to work. Thanks.
Lee
Go ahead and make the bootable USB. Save your data to disk once Puppy is up and running.
When booted into Puppy Linux as explained in the link, click on the drive sda1 (C: drive) once to open and gain access to your data. Insert a disk and click on it when it shows up as sr0 on the bottom-left corner of your screen. Now drag and drop the data you want to save to the disk window.
Just remember, you cannot copy or save programs once they have been installed, only data files like photos etc. and other data.
When booted into Puppy Linux as explained in the link, click on the drive sda1 (C: drive) once to open and gain access to your data. Insert a disk and click on it when it shows up as sr0 on the bottom-left corner of your screen. Now drag and drop the data you want to save to the disk window.
Just remember, you cannot copy or save programs once they have been installed, only data files like photos etc. and other data.
terry1966
don't think PattiChati needs to make a live usb lee, she can boot into her os just fine, so just needs a step by step guide to burn her photo's to a dvd.
see if this helps PattiChati. :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows…-to-a-cd-or-dvd

see if this helps PattiChati. :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows…-to-a-cd-or-dvd
Lee
While I was sick my hard drive broke. Right now all I want to do is backuip my pictures and excel financials on a disk or flash drive. Can you tell me exactly how to do it, how to pull the data out. My daughter is getting me a new hard drive and hopefully hook it up. Thank you
Patti's hard-drive is broken Terry, so it might be a bit hard to boot into her OS ?
terry1966
my understanding of her posts are completely different to yours for some reason lee.

means pc is working fine but no external backup drive at moment to back anything up with.I haven't lost anything on my computer yet, but just don't have a hard drive to back it up right now.
Lee
Patti's meaning is a bit ambiguous Terry. So what is broken Patti, your computer's hard-drive or a back-up hard drive?
I naturally thought your computer's hard drive was broken as "backing up" was extensively covered here (11 pages) by myself and others in one of your past threads. That is why I was confused as if your computer hard drive was OK, why would you need to know how to do basic back up (?)
If you need to check your old threads, just login and click on "My Topics" at the top of the page. You will find all of your threads conveniently listed, including this one:
Backing up http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…123901&st=0
Or you could try this one to refresh you back up knowledge by just goggling How to back up?
Much easier and less bother than starting a new thread on a subject we have already covered for you.
I naturally thought your computer's hard drive was broken as "backing up" was extensively covered here (11 pages) by myself and others in one of your past threads. That is why I was confused as if your computer hard drive was OK, why would you need to know how to do basic back up (?)
If you need to check your old threads, just login and click on "My Topics" at the top of the page. You will find all of your threads conveniently listed, including this one:
Backing up http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…123901&st=0
Or you could try this one to refresh you back up knowledge by just goggling How to back up?
Much easier and less bother than starting a new thread on a subject we have already covered for you.
PattiChati
Ok, I am back. I have been diagnosed with Parkinson's, so I am quite a bit off my game. I have a new hard drive and backed up once. I have since added more pictures and financials and want to back those up separately, because I am going to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it. I have DVD's now so I can back up on those. I am afraid I have forgotten exactly what you told me, so if you could tell me again, I would appreciate it.
Lee
Hi Patti,
I'm sorry to hear you have an illness. Any illness can add a lot of anxiety / confusion to your life as well
I'm going to suggest a "right-click menu" registry tweak to to make copying and/or moving files a lot simpler. It adds copy to and move to to the right-click menu. Download Copy To / Move To and save to desktop.
I use it myself and is one of the first things I install on any new system. Always works on XP, Vista, W7 or W8 no problems. It looks like this:
ScreenClip000025.jpg
This Copy To / Move To Registry Tweak is a tiny download of only 4KB. After downloading the file to your desktop, right-click the zipped folder that downloads and select "open" and you will see:
ScreenClip000026.jpg
Double left-click on each one above so they add to your registry. Reboot your computer and the extra commands will now be in your right-click menu. Once installed, you can right-click and delete the download.
NEXT
If you wish to backup to the USB drive, connect the drive and open it. Create two folders on it, one called Pictures and another called Financials. You can now right-click on the photos and financials you want to save and copy to or move to those folders you created on your USB drive . If you would rather backup to a DVD, insert a disk and then just right-click the files or folders to be backed up and select copy to or move to and then left-click on your disk drive in the window that opens up. W7 will do the rest.
Hope this helps
Cheers,
Lee
I'm sorry to hear you have an illness. Any illness can add a lot of anxiety / confusion to your life as well
I assume that backup is a C: drive photo/clone to a new USB external drive and now you want to backup some pictures and financial documents as well. You can do this to DVD disk or if you like, to the new USB drive.I have a new hard drive and backed up once
I'm going to suggest a "right-click menu" registry tweak to to make copying and/or moving files a lot simpler. It adds copy to and move to to the right-click menu. Download Copy To / Move To and save to desktop.
I use it myself and is one of the first things I install on any new system. Always works on XP, Vista, W7 or W8 no problems. It looks like this:
ScreenClip000025.jpg
This Copy To / Move To Registry Tweak is a tiny download of only 4KB. After downloading the file to your desktop, right-click the zipped folder that downloads and select "open" and you will see:
ScreenClip000026.jpg
Double left-click on each one above so they add to your registry. Reboot your computer and the extra commands will now be in your right-click menu. Once installed, you can right-click and delete the download.
NEXT
If you wish to backup to the USB drive, connect the drive and open it. Create two folders on it, one called Pictures and another called Financials. You can now right-click on the photos and financials you want to save and copy to or move to those folders you created on your USB drive . If you would rather backup to a DVD, insert a disk and then just right-click the files or folders to be backed up and select copy to or move to and then left-click on your disk drive in the window that opens up. W7 will do the rest.
Hope this helps
Cheers,
Lee
PattiChati
I have an external hard drive - can I just restore from there? Is there any way I could get myself in deeper? How do I restore from Macrium reflect. I will first backup my pictures and financials on a DVD disk
Lee
You need to make a restore disk for that.
Open Macrium Reflect and click on the disk symbol in the top toolbar and follow the simple prompts.
PattiChati
what do I needa restore disk for? Also it didn't say windows 7, it said windows PE and Linux. On the reflect it says it is a rescue disk. I thought when I did these backups on the external hard drive, all I would have to do is click "restore" and everything would go back to the way it was?
It also says my adobe flash plugin r has crashed. Could all these be part of my problem.
Lee
You asked and I told you in my last post (make a restore disk using macrium reflect).How do I restore from Macrium reflect.
Now you ask:
what do I need a restore disk for?
PattiChati
It is called rescue disk for PE and Linux, it does not include windows 7. Is this where I backup pics and financials?
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI