This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Java Problems

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello, Today my computer prompted me to download a Java 7 Update13. But when I tried, it failed. The error messages I got were as follows: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package jre1.7.0_05c.msi below Then I get another message saying "The Wizard was interrupted before Java 7 Update 13 could be completely installed. Then: Error 1714. The older version of Java 7 Update 13 cannot be removed. When I click the Java icon on my Control Panel all I get is this message: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.7.0_11 When I look in my Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs, the only things there that are Java-related are: Java™ 7 Update 5 Java FX 2.1.1 Can anyone help me with this, please? This is my first time here, and so I am not sure if I posted this in the correct place. Thanks, Claudia
Hi Claudia,

If it were me… and I really needed java… I'd clear everything off and start fresh.

Please note that Java has alot of vulnerabilities and most people don't really need it (I don't have it installed anymore and I think you will find that a very high percentage of the staff here don't have it installed. Some haven't had it for years).

Give this a try.

Please download JavaRa to your desktop.
  • Click the Download button next to Version 2.1 to download JavaRA-2.1.zip and save it to the desktop.
  • Close the Browser and all open windows.
  • Right click the JavaRA-2.1.zip file and click Extract All and unzip it to its own folder on the desktop.
  • Open the Java-2.1 folder
  • Open the JavaRA folder
  • Double click on the JavaRa.exe file to run the program. You will see a console like the one below:

    [external image: Posted Image]
  • Click the Update JavaRa Definitions and update the definitions.
  • Click download
  • After download is complete - click back.
  • Click Remove Java Runtime

Step 1 will run Java's built in installers (See the image below):
  • JavaRa will automatically detect the available JRE uninstallers. The Run Uninstaller button will begin the removal process; which should be performed on all listed versions of the Java Runtime Environment. In some situations; Windows security features may interfere with this process, causing the Run Uninstaller button do to nothing. You will need to use the Add Or Remove Programs function in Windows if this occurs.

[external image: Posted Image]

Then Step 2 will run. (See image below)

Step 2 will run the JRE Removal Routine

[external image: Posted Image]

Step 3 is Download New Version. Please don't click on Download. Instead, click on Java Manual Download at the top. This will take you to Java.com where you can download the current version.

You can go ahead and Next your way through JavaRa and close it.

Install the new Java program you downloaded.


If you are not sure you need Java, I suggest you try running without it awhile. To do that… just perform the above instructions through Step 2 and then next your way out and exit. If you find you actually do need it - you can install it at that time.
TomK I have follow your instructions and I got to the part about running the uninstaller and clicked that. But it keeps on and on saying that Another program is being installed, on the Window's Installer thing and so it wont allow me to do anything beyond that, I think there might be something wrong with my Windows Installer program. The other day I was trying to install something and it was acting strange too.
Okay, what I just did now, is I turned my computer off and restarted it, Then I did a system restore to Feb 1st… because that was when I restored it the other day. (Its a long story). It sucessfully restored it to Feb 1st and a couple of minutes later, the Java thing pops up trying to get me to do the Java 7 Update 13, so I click it and run through it and it says: Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one. So WHY is it doing this? Why would it keep saying another installation is in progress? How do I STOP whatever installation it keeps saying is in progress? Or is it that the Windows Installer itself is the problem and it is mis-reporting, telling me there is another installation in progress, when really there isnt?
Online it says if your msiexec.exe is always running ) I looked on my control alt delete thing and it showed it running) to: "Check the service "Windows Installer" it should be set to Manual. (you can stop it now if it's running) Perhaps you did set it to Automatic by mistake, that is the service which start msiexec.exe" But how do I FIND the Windows Installer program on my computer, to be able to set it to manual? I am thinking that this might be causing alot of my problems, keeping me from installing anything. Sorry about all the posts, but this Windows Installer has been a pain the last few days. And I guess I need to get THAT straightened out first before I can even get rid of the old Java stuff on my computer.
HiClaudia, 1 On XP, if you go to, Start>Run and type in the white box services.msc 2 and press Enter key 3 it will take you into the Windows Services 4 Be careful what you do here…..(make a paper and pencil note of exactly what you are altering…..) 5 Scroll down 'til you get to Windows installer…. 6 Right Click Windows Installer and then: 7 Cllick on Properties 8 You can adjust the Startup Type" to Manual Regards paws
Windows Installer Okay I had found the Windows Installer, and it says its on MANUAL But, then when I look under the "General" tab, it says Service Status: Stopped Am I supposed to click on START?
well I am not sure if I am making progress or not but I reclicked on the Java install thing and it actually worked and said it was installed. BUT when I check in my add/remove programs it isnt listed. And I went to my control panel and clicked on the Java icon, and instead of giving me that HKEY big long thing, it wont open. Does this mean that I didnt uninstall the other java stuff properly? I looked and in the add/remove thing it has Java 6 Update 26 Java 7 Update 11 Java 7 Update 5 I think I should probably leave things alone now till I someone tells me what to do LOL! Unless the uninstall stuff in the folder I downloaded wasnt really uninstalling before. But I cant understand then why it says it installed the latest Java then.
MORE INFO I will just tell you things that I noticed when my computer started freezing up on me: 1. Just a little prior to it, I had removed Nero Essentials from my computer. Although it is still showing in the Add/Remove panel that it is still there. 2. When my computer started freezing, I noticed my ASUS DVD-RAM Drive became missing. 3. I had just bought this computer about 4 months ago. I had a HP Pavaillion and the fan motor started getting really loud, to the point I was ready to just get rid of it. So I took it to the repair shop and the repair man built me a new computer, which is now a Packard Bell. 4. I have Windows XP on my computer. And Internet Explorer 8. 5. My computer freezes now when I might be playing a video, the entire screen freezes up. I have to completely re-start it by pressing the off button, it wont allow me to do a normal Start/Log off. Then sometimes I just get a black screen on restart that says Verifying DMI Pool but it doesnt start and I will have to restart it again, or even wait an hour to restart it. 6. It freezes sometimes when I wake up in the morning. The screen is frozen. 7. It wont allow me to install Java. Windows Installer seems messed up. 8. It freezes sometimes now when I am making a comment on Facebook, or on You Tube.
Hi Claudia,

It sounds like you may have multiple problems with your computer….. :(

Here are some thoughts for your consideration:

1 it's unlikely that there is a "magic fix" that will quickly and simply make your computer 100% and running fast and sweet (at least one that we can apply at long range in the forum)

2 If I'm reading this correctly then the machine is only 4 months from a complete professional rebuild?

3 If 2 above is correct, maybe you could ask the repair firm to check things out for you free of charge….

4 Windows XP SP3 becomes an unsupported operating system in 14 months time (Microsoft will not be issuing any security updates or patches after that time, so the computer could become unsafe to use on the Internet after that time, so you may want to consider if it's cost effective in terms of time and money to get it up and running properly again when it has such a short lifetime ahead of it.

5 We don't know (at the moment) if it's a hardware problem or an operating system/software issue that is causing the current problem, so that might be a good first step to try and establish (There is no point in trying to fix problems by making alterations to Windows if in fact its the hardware that is the culprit.)

6 To help with step 5 here's a suggestion. Download a copy of Linux Puppy (available free) from here:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%…g%20Started.htm

7 Burn the .iso to a CD as an image…. ImBurn is good for this, (available free) from here:
http://www.imgburn.com/

8 Don't just copy the .iso to CD it must be done as an image… that way you end up with a bootable disc .

9 Boot from the disc, You may ned to enter BIOS and adjust boot priority order (CD/DVD as Priority one followed by Harddrive as two) if you do this then remember to save changes before exiting BIOS and your computer will then boot into Puppy…(press any key to boot from CD etc…)

10 Follow onscreen directions as to language, keyboard etc and ensure your Ethernet cable is plugged in to your ethernet port .

11 Puppy will run happily in RAM and will not write anything to your hard drive (unless you ask it to…… it does not even need your hard drive to be present in the computer….)

12 You will be able to use Puppy for all the normal things, (using the Internet, and if you wish opening photos etc) Give it a good try, its a bit different from Windows but you'll soon get the hang of it… (just remember its one click only to open stuff)

13 If Puppy works well then it has cleared most of your hardware as a potential culprit….. so we need to look to your hard drive itself and your Windows installation and software as the likely source of the issues.

14 You can, if you wish, use Puppy to copy any important files, music, documents, photos etc… that may have escaped being included in your latest back up (an external USB hard drive is ideal for this or a memory stick if its of sufficient capacity)

Post back and let us know how you get on….
Regards
paws
Paws, Thanks so much! What is an .iso? Also, if I put this Puppy on my computer, will it sipe out my Windows XP or would I be able to get all that back again, if it turns out that this Puppy thing doesnt work well on my computer? I will probably be asking more questions but for right now, some people are coming over to the house so I probably wont be able to do this today… plus I dont have any blank CDs, I will have to get some. Maybe my friend here who I am staying with will have some. Is this like an entirely different operating system like Windows XP or Windows 7? I cant get the computer repair man to fix anything, the warranty is overwith now, it only lasted 3 months.
okay, I got my blank CD now :) I just need to know if it would wipe out my Windows XP and all the rest of everything. Or is it like I burn the CD and then pop it into my computer and the computer works off of that, and then as soon as I remove it, it goes back to normal? I am computer illiterate and so I know very little about BIOS stuff etc… except that it turns your computer screen black with the white writing on it LOL! But anyway I am sure that I will figure it all out. I also DO have an external hard drive… but lost the cords to it, Its a Western Digital. So I will have to buy the cords to it, online. Someone showed me what cords I need to get. But do I need to save everything onto the hard drive BEFORE installing this PUPPY?
Paws, Okay, I downloaded the ImgBurn program and I downloaded the Puppy Lucid and put it as an image on a blank CD. So now when I put the CD back into my computer, I see: boot boot help help 2 initrd isolinux isolinux.cfg logo.16 lupu_528.sfg vmlinuz And so, does it seem like I have done the right things so far? Could you please tell me what to do next, so that I dont mess anything up? Do I just click on the first boot icon?