This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Not answering my post

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I had a post up here asking for help on a computer that is doing wierd types of thing like freezing up, not going to correct websites, screen just going black. What do I do if no one answers after three days.
Hi PattiChati,

Is this the same problem with the same computer?
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…mp;#entry810713

If YES, then please describe the problem which is giving you difficulty right now or what you wish to do that you can't seem to make happen.
If NO, then please tell us which computer you are referring to, or what computing activity you are trying to make happen.

Don't start another New Topic. Just respond below with a reply in this same Topic thread.

***Please stay with "one" topic until you receive a solution.
  • Tell your helper(s) what you are having trouble with.
  • Provide as much information about the computer, the activity, and the problem, as you are able to provide.
  • Guidelines here might help you in describing the situation: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?act=SR&f=119
  • Answer any additional requests for more information if asked.
  • Follow the instructions offered by your helper(s)
  • Take things one-step-at-a-time
  • Respond to your helper(s) by telling them what happened when you followed their instructions.
  • Then follow the next set of instructions, repeating the above to let the helper know what happened when you did.
  • Focus on only one computer, device, or computing activity until the problem is solved.

PattiChati,

I've reviewed most of your Topics and Posts.
It appears to me that you enjoy email with friends, making greeting cards, searching for garage sales, browsing/reading from the Internet, and other common computing/internet activities which you may have mentioned.
All of these can be great fun and often very useful… Unless something goes wrong.

Most people can use and enjoy computers and the internet for the things they are interested in.
Not all people enjoy or are even well suited to learning skills and concepts related to how computers actually work inside.
When things go wrong with computers there is usually a straight-forward solution. Sometimes simple. Sometimes complicated.
If a person wishes to fix problems for themselves when they occur, whether simple or complicated, they may need to know or learn about some basic computing skills and concepts.

In Forums like WTT, there will usually be someone who if familiar with what you are trying to do.
If someone knows the answer or solution, they will most likely give the answer or explain the solution.
When an answer or solution involves use of additional related skills and knowledge, the solution may seem daunting.
Often, after following suggested instructions, the new skill or procedure begins to seem familiar, but it may take some practice.

We all started with less skill and less knowledge.
Often we built our skills and knowledge by following the instructions offered by others.

Some folks find learning about computers to be fun. Some find it frustrating and just want to get on with computer activities that they enjoy.
Some folks find it easy to follow written instructions.
Others learn better when they can see the lesson demonstrated visually.
Others learn better when they can talk with the teacher.

If receiving written help in a Forum setting doesn't seem to be working, there are other alternatives.
Most communities have adult night school with introduction to computer use classes.
Some community centers have user-groups who might meet regularly to share similar interests in the use of computers.
Some libraries have social groups for computer users.
Some businesses such as Book Stores, have computer user social and learning groups.

And for some computer setup and repair problems, it is often helpful to have a real physical person who can be there with you to help you, or solve the problem for you.

Best Regards
I don't want this thread to close, just have that terrible flu, really knocks your socks off. I will be sure to check in as much as possible for the thread to stay open. I was told by the techs in malware to start a new topic over here, that is why I did. Then it says if no one answers in 3 days they will close it and you have to start another, which I did. Should I have done something different? I was obviously done with malware. I will get back on hopefully tomorrow. Thanks, or tonight. I would feel more comfortable with you techs helping me rather than try it by learning the internet, do you mind. There is nothing available around town!!! It would really be upsetting if I could not use your guys help. I am afraid they see my name and run.
it's only in the malware forum that topics get closed patti, everywhere else they always stay open for comments, so you don't need to worry about this topic being closed if you haven't replied for a few days. what exactly is the problem your having, and with what program, operating system. etc? :popcorn:
OK, thanks. I did get a router, but this started happening about a week before I got it, so not sure I can connect the two. Any screen will freeze up, any screen will just go black. I will click to go to one website and it goes somewhere else. I can't just make this happen either. But I have never had these problems before. That is all I can remember right now, as I said I am down with the flu and haven't been on here for a while. I have windows 7. I did all the malware stuff and they found nothing at all.
Hi - I just noticed when it freezes, most of the time it will go gray. You can still see the area and move around but nothing will happen. I prress ctr/alt/del , and then it unfreeze. . I use windows 7, Firefox.
can you use a different browser like ie 10 for a while and see if the problem still exists, if it does then that will rule out the problem being specific to firefox or one of any add ons etc. it may be running. i have a feeling the problem maybe something to do with flash in firefox. :popcorn:

I have no bookmarks, contacs or anything-over there, would that make a difference?


no it won't make a difference but if you want you can import them from firefox.
this link shows you how for ie9, i'd think it would be more or less the same for ie 10, but don't have a windows pc up and running to test for you. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2525573

Can the flash in firefox be reinstalled if ie does the same thing


if ie does the same thing then it might not be a flash/firefox problem, but yes flash can be reinstalled/updated in firefox if that's where the problem is, in fact it'll be a good idea to update both flash and firefox if your not running the latest version of either.

first tho lets just stick with you using ie 10 for a while and see if the problem persists. ;)

:popcorn:
I haven't used IE very long but it is really fast and nice and no error things that happened on Firefox. I really hate to go to IE, Can you help me fix the flash/firefox? Is it a big ordeal?
yes i'll try and help you fix the problem in firefox, but first we need to confirm the problem only occurs in firefox.

if you think you've used ie long enough to confirm the problem doesn't occur there, then i guess the next step is to check your running the latest versions of firefox and flash.

use firefox then,
to check what version of firefox your running click here :- http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/find-w…x-you-are-using
update if needed
then click on this link to check your plugins for the latest versions. :- https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
update everything and then use firefox as usual and see if the problem as gone.

if everything was upto date anyway then we might have to go into your flash settings and turn off hardware acceleration and see if that fixes the problem.

:popcorn:
Wow something has happened to this computer. It freezes up all the time and I have to reboot. I quick want to ask about if you think it is the flash settings. How to get to flash settings and which ones do I check. Whatever it is, it gets worse and worse, so I can't even finnish this note to you. Thanks.
no i don't think it's the flash hardware acceleration setting if the problem is getting worse and happens no matter what browser your using, the grey page flash problem i thought it might be only happens in firefox. what hardware are you turning off and why?? it will effect something somewhere so yes there is probably going to be stuff your not going to be able to do any more. edit :- just had a thought are you talking about turning off hardware acceleration in flash? is yes then no it won't effect anything. all that does is make the cpu do the work instead of the graphics card. end edit. sorry my memory is playing me up and i can't think straight at the moment, but you'll need to do some hardware tests, such as checking your ram and the hard drive for any problems first before moving on and checking your operating system and software. with any luck another tech will post with better instructions than i'm able to offer you at the moment but i'll contact another tech and see if they mind having a look here also. :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI