Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

100% CPU Usage from all browsers

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 gangangunleon

gangangunleon

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

just uninstalled AVG (haven't installed MSE as of this writing) and ran Firefox in Safe-Mode (all add-ons disabled). I still see the CPU spiking at average 70% with Firefox doing most of it according to the Task Manager (plugin-container for Firefox is also disabled). Whenever I open a new page, Firefox would freeze for a few minutes spiking among the 70% line, then the CPU drops back down again, allowing me to browse normally.

Edited by gangangunleon, 08 January 2013 - 07:08 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I don't see anything in your Startups or installed programs that would do this, yet Safe Mode with Networking works okay. Very strange. I wonder if any of the language support stuff is the culprit, like TINTSETP.EXE or IMJPMIG.EXE? I'm going to ask some of the other folks here to take a look and see if they have any ideas.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#18 gangangunleon

gangangunleon

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

if you are unable to find a solution, that is all right. at the very least the CPU doesn't spike to 100% and just stays at 70 tops. So i can still browse the web normally with a few freezes and lags, but manageable.

#19 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

I did ask for other folks to take a look at this so hopefully someone will have some ideas.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#20 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

My first contribution here may be more of an "aside" than a main problem-solving step.

Will you please inform us why it is that you are running XP SP2 as your operating system, and IE 6.0 as your browser.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 12:14:41 PM, on 12/31/2012
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

With either/both, the system is missing multiple patches and updates which could pose security hazards and possibly allow malware to be operating/connecting via instance(s) of svchost.exe, consuming band-width and churning your CPU cycles with processes that you may not be able to detect as present.

The above question can be particularly risky, particularly because vlc.exe is running from file %1. And because, though apparently not running actively at the time you posted the lists above, you have an instance of uTorrent installed.

Neither uTorrent nor vlc.exe are deemed to be malware and both can have legitimate uses.
However, either can create problems depending upon the media they are handling at the time.

Recommendation:
Consider (at least temporarily) Uninstalling both vlc and uTorrent applications.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#21 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Another installed application program Bonjour, Apple Inc. had been know to conflict with Windows Firewall, causing XP SP2 to malfunction.

Consider the "workaround" here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2235
or consider temporarily uninstalling Bonjour.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#22 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Also, look in Task Manager and see what is eating up your CPU resources. And don't run without some anti-malware solution. I too like MSE as it seems to be easier on resources and does not conflict with other programs as much as some other anti-malware solutions do. And I agree with Doug. With XP, you should be with SP3 and IE8 - even if you use an alternative as your default.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#23 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

I know this thread is old. But, no request was made about system specs, or to make a PCPitStop scan.

This sounds like typical PIO mode hard drive problems. The CPU spikes on everything you do temporarily and causes significant slow downs in performance in general. Or, you have a celeron CPU which will do that no matter what you do. YOu have to realize that when you are doing something on your computer it should spike to 100%. Do you wnat everything running slower just so you can say your CPU isn't being fully utilized?

Its already been mentioned that the system should have SP3, and should have IE8 running. Whatever you reasons, throw them out the window. Its a miracle you haven't been completely infected yet.

A PCPitStop scan will probably reveal whatever performance issue you are having.
How to run PCPitStop's Overdrive tests:
  • Please click here to go to the PCPitStop Overdrive sign-up page: Signup at PCPitStop (You need to use Internet Explorer with this test so that an ActiveX control can be installed.)
  • Click "Create a free account"
  • Enter in your relevant information on the sign-up page. You must sign-up in order to have your results recorded so that we can take a look at them here.
  • After signing up you'll see the "Registration Complete" page, and you can click "Test Your System Now" to return to the test page.
  • Login with your newly created e-mail address and password on the left hand side.
  • Follow the directions to "Scan this system now." An activeX control will need to be installed. It is safe, and you should allow it to be installed.
  • Once the tests have been run, you will see an "Almost there" page requesting further information about your computer and your experience with PCPitStop, just scroll down to the bottom and click "GO."
  • A test results page will display, and I need the link to that page.
  • Look in the address bar of your browser. It will look like 'http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/...' Please copy and paste that here to the forum.

Note: PCPitStop may recommend that you use certain utilities to fix problems on your computer. At WhatTheTech, the help we provide is free. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any products PCPitStop may suggest. Instead, we prefer to help you with each issue manually without using possible pay to use programs.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.