During an issue with a potential virus, we disabled Avast! Free Antivirus to run ComboFix as we were instructed to. However, even though Avast was offline as instructed, it still alerted us to the fact that ComboFix was a potential threat; even though we knew this was not true. However, immediately after, it warned us of 2 svchost.exe files that were faulty. Being the - at the time - trusting Avast users that we were, we immediately removed the files as it suggested.
And thus our problems begin, as we are now missing those two files, which has COMPLETELY buggered the proper operation of the system. It cannot open most programs, and I was only able to connect to the internet by attaching a wired cable connection directly from my router to the computer, whereas it normally runs with a wireless connection. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what I can do to fix this, if there's a way to restore the lost files, or what. Please help!
Try booting to Safe Mode then use System Restore to a date and time before you let Avast delete the files.
Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
You could also check to see if Avast quarantined them or actually deleted them. If quarantined then you can restore them from Avast.
I have tried System Restore, both in and out of safe mode. It tells me it is unable to fix itself through use of system restore.
And unfortunately, it did in fact delete the files, checking the quarantine log was the first thing I did.
we disabled Avast! Free Antivirus to run ComboFix as we were instructed to
Please provide a link to the topic where you were being assisted with the malware removal…some of the logfiles may help us in figuring out the best way forward.
Unfortunately, I appear to be unable to find the post. It was quite a while ago that this happened; and I kind of gave up hope of getting it resolved at the time, since I repeatedly stated when asked that the computer couldn't open most programs OR connect to the internet, and the replies were always "Run x program and post the results here", as if my message wasn't getting through or something.
Hi mediaklepto,
You failed to complete the cleaning of your computer whilst being assisted by Noodle Tech over in the Virus and Spyware removal forum (thanks to Ztruker for the link) and also didn't reply to the post asking if you still required assistance…and consequently your Topic there was closed.
As the issues with your computer persist there is little point in us making recommendations here in this forum until your computer has been checked and declared free from signs of malicious code, by an expert such as Noodle Tech or other expert malware fighter colleague.
Follow the directions (as provided by Noodle Tech) in the final post of your "Virus removal topic" to open a new topic over in the Virus and Spyware removal forum and submit the log as directed and a link to your previous "Virus removal topic" together with a link to this topic here.
Please be sure to include all the information in the one post…do not make a second post until contacted by a Virus removal expert….. (The good folks over in the Virus and Spyware Removal forum will look first at topics with Zero responses….)
Once your computer has been declared free of the signs of infection, post back here in this forum if you are still having issues with it and we will do our best to help.
Regards
paws
Yes, I just checked, that is the correct thread. I looked on my own profile page and could not find older posts. O_o Anyway, hopefully you find something useful in there!