return to a location
16 min read
I learned I cannot burn a .exe as it will be read only.
You can still run it from the CD. You could also save it on a flash drive and run it from there if necessary, or recover it from an Acronis backup and run it. Lots of options.
After I right click on the link I should 'save target as' Word then "send to" cd –right.
Do I use master or usb?
Is there a way to put the file on media in case the link gets changed?
I have the file on my desktop as an icon and have it in my inbox once I click on the link. Could I then put the file itself on media so I could find and use it in the future. I read you cannot burn a .exe file - I read your correction. Does that mean that if I burn the file, it still will open even if it won't run?.
If I could get the file on disc it would allow me to paste it in my pc after formatted and find it - or maybe that cannot be done.
Redundancy,naiveté are a result of fear of losing this Office file -sorry.
Thanx again
Yes, you can burn a .exe to disc and run it from there. That is the best way to back it up.
>So I can send the blue icon which took 8 minutes to download to desktop, to a disc and in the fiuture I can use it to install Office?
It is 64 bit not 32 as 32 will not work on my 64 bit pc..
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/01/211…0/X17-75161.exe
Hope this helps
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products…t_Office_2010_4
Peter, 32-bit Office will work on your 64-bit computer and is actually the recommended version to use per Microsoft. But the choice is yours. I just thought you should know.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products…t_Office_2010_4
Just adding comment in support of Appleoddity's correct assertion that 32-bit version of MS Office will run on your 64-bit machine, and is in fact the preferred version recommendation.
I have the utmost respect for our fine Team member, Appleoddity, and do not mean to imply need for confirmation of his consistently exemplary information and instructions, but you may also benefit from knowing that:
– The vast majority of MS Office users use 32-bit, whether their machines are 32-bit or 64-bit.
– Macros and add-ons designed for 32-bit Office applications may not work on applications of the 64-bit version.
– Relatively few macros and add-ons are readily avaialble for the 64-bit version of Office, and you will often have compile your own for your own needs
– There is little advantage gained over 32-bit version from using applications of the 64-bit version of Office, until maybe when the user is dealing with massively large "big-data" management in Excel in the scope of large corporate data-base collections.
I have read the article you are speaking from and you are correct that it says that. Thank you.
However, I learned the hard way from experience.
Two years ago I formatted and downloaded the 32 bit Office at MS site.[There was a little note that said,"64 bit download here.]
Office would not work as 32 bit.
I uninstalled it and tried again as 32 bit and the same thing happened.
On the third try, I noticed that 64 bit notation and clicked on it and Office worked.
The reason I have gone through all this hassle is that I could never find that site again.
Last night MS gave me the 64 bit link.
Now my problem is that Office will not work regardless of what I do if I move to Win 8.
On the one hand, I know from doing it that 32 will not work with my pc- Dell.
On the other hand, I read the same article and it is enticing to download as 32.
I swear that 32 bit downloads of Office do not work in my Dell. It is coincidental as I was just looking at updating drivers hoping to resolve this.
Thank you for the information and I hope Appleoddity can persue this as a MS associate becasue what I tell you is true. There is something awry here. Perhaps Dell is so mavericky that it is the reason.What is written and what is happening in reality are 2 different things.
Thank you for writing to me and perhaps another person with the same contradiction will join us.
Peter
I have no doubt that you are faithfully reporting your experience.becasue what I tell you is true. There is something awry here
However, no matter how true the occurance of the event may be, we do not yet know "what it is true of".
Your exceptional experience with MS Office is directly counter to common occurance.
The cause of this abberant machine and software behavior may turn out to be an isolated and difficult to discover setting in Windows, or conflict with some other installed software.
While looking at overview general performance of your machine may not identify the detail we are seeking, it is a place to start.
Please run and post a PCPitstop Overdrive scan result.
Please run and post a scan using Autoruns.
Please also search your recollection of any specific changes, modifications, or special features you may have adjusted in:
Your User Profile (for instance, any changes in Permissions)
MS Services (for instance, any Services you may have Stopped or Started, or changed from Manual to Automatic)
______________________
You also pose a separate issue of MS Office not correctly installing/functioning with an instance of Windows 8.
Again, your specific experience runs counter to common occurance, which is that Office 2010 runs just fine in Windows 8.
Note: I think you are referring to Windows 8 Consumer Preview and not the release version.
There may be particulars of your Consumer Preview version (which will be expiring in mid-January) that won't occur in the release versions.
Feel free to continue your investigation of 32-bit vs. 64-bit Office in Windows 7, here in this same thread.
Please consider starting a New Topic, if you wish to investigate problems of Office 2010 in Windows 8.
Doug
the will need 64bit hardware drivers installed for all hardware tho.
Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.
Device drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows won't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows…asked-questions
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI