This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Too much malware to repair and won't boot from disc

31 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi; First, thanks for being here. I came here from Spybot forums (Ken sent me). Here is a link to my thread there. I used the same user name over there and the last entry was today.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=67184

Long story short this is a Compaq Presario 2100. It was given to me for a trip. I am running it in safe mode. Windows XP Home Service pack 1. As far as I can see when they bought it they did no upgrades or updates. No A/V at all. What ever is in here won't let me go to Windows Update site. I tried to format the H/D but it won't let me do that either. Ken led me through the dungeons to no avail, there is just to much wrong. There is nothing on this computer that I have any interest in saving.
It has an AMD Athlon XP2800+ (508 MHz) with a half a gig of ram and a 60 gig hard drive.
Ken and I got rid of as much as possible and are now to the point where a format is about all that is left. I hate this because it means they win. I am in the 'don't do any thing until the tech guy says' mode so I didn't try a reboot after leaving Spybot.

I have the disc that came with it so if you can lead me through a format that would be good. Thank you, HaroldSpybot forums thread
"I have the disc that came with it"! I double checked and sure enough it is the disc that came with it. Having said that, I will give it a try. At this time I am unable to raise this site on the little bugger. From both Google search and the link provided by Spybot the little CPU just sits there at 100%, trying to fry itself. Thank you, Harold
I know it's the disc that came with it, but what is on the disc? Is it a recovery CD, diagnostic CD, what? DO as the flow chart says, see if it finds anything.
Ztrucker; Hi; again, the disc is called "Operating System CD" and it is labeled as 'Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1a'. The computer recognizes the disc and I can open it and look at the contents but when I try to boot from said disc it just reboots into the loaded Windows. I have, three or four times, started the computer using the F2 button and reset the boot to 'CD drive' and restarted it. It just goes back to the installed program. I am sure I am doing something wrong, I just don't know what. All this is in safe mode. The Manuals may come in handy later, Thank you, but I could find no instructions for formatting the hard drive. The flow chart seems to imply it is for checking for a faulty drive. Sorry but I am ignorant of most things it is asking of me. The computer doesn't work worth a hoot except in safe mode and is iffy there. Some of the things Ken545 had me down load had to be D/Led to this computer (my desktop) and transferred with a thumb drive as the Compaq often won't open websites, whatthetech site is one it won't open. Still working on that. If you haven't already, I suggest you scan some of the stuff Ken had me try. It might make more sense than what I an saying. There is also a MS Windows XP Critical Security Updates disc and a Driver Recovery CD and some programs that are unrelated. Please, bare with me as there is much that I don't know or understand about computers. I can and will follow instructions as best as I can and will report what I do in detail. Again, thank you for giving your time and knowledge. Harold
Hi Harold, I took a look at your logs that Ken was helping you with….and Wow ! thats one mighty messed up computer…. I'm surprised it works at all!

Running without Anti virus protection and using the computer in that way is about the same as running an automobile at top speed with no engine oil in the sump… I know you have put her straight on this now….. so on to fixing the computer.

One other thing, don't feel even for one minute that formatting and reinstalling is " letting the bad guys win" in fact its quite the opposite and in these circumstances is a sensible way of moving forward. Its a bit of work for you, but can result in a faster running machine. Having said that …. the computer is only fitted with 512Mb of Ram, and its not in its first flush of youth… It will not be able to access Windows Updates at all…. as Windows Updates needs SP3 to be installed before the update is available…so how do we update to SP3 when we cant use Windows Updates?…. Fortunately there is a way out of the problem….. by downloading the SP3 direct from Microsoft…. with a bit of luck it should install directly over Win XP home SP1

You need to go here on a working machine:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24
Don't worry that it's the version for IT and Network Professionals…it will do the job for you just fine… keep it safe, on CD or DVD as first we need to restore your machine to its original condition (and there is a shortcut that may help us) if it works it could save us all a lot of time…

1 Close down your machine, (a full shutdown not a sleep/hibernate) remove it from any docking station (if you have one) remove any CD's or DVD's that may be in the drive, remove the ethernet cable and any other cables, memory sticks, printers, cameras USB etc…. I'm taking it, that its the laptop notebook version (if this is not correct then STOP and report back please Do not proceed.) You should now just have the basic laptop in front of you…if you can do without the mouse and just use the trackpad that would be best but if you feel uncomfortable without having a mouse handy then plug one in!… Now plug in the mains cable via its adapter in the normal way.

2 Press the power on button in the normal way and immediately start pressing and releasing the F11 key… keep pressing and releasing F11 once per second…. until something happens!
If you are very lucky and you get your timing right, then the computer may boot into the Recovery function that will format your C drive and then reinstall Windows from a hidden partition that HP/Compaq (sometimes) install in some versions of their Pressario 2100's .You don't need your Restore CD/DVD for this so make sure its on the table and not in the computer!

3 If it doesn't work. then try it again but this time power down by holding in the power on button for 30 seconds, then wait 2 minutes with a blank black screen (by the clock not a second earlier!) then start again at step 2 above…

4 Try this a few times……… if no joy then it means (usually) that Compaq didn't fit a recovery partition to your particular machine, or that the previous owner deleted it to make more space for her stuff… or that you have one of the few 2100's that can access the Recovery partition by using the F10 key rather than F11 (F11 is the usual one for laptops) but some Compaqs are set up to use F10 (this especially applies to desktop Pressario's)

5 If you get to Recovery then rejoice, but remember that this is a destructive process that will clear all your data files, drivers, Windows operating system all your software and all your bad stuff at the same time…. if it works then it will restore the machine to just how it was when it left the factory…. hopefully with SP1 included on it….. it should not ask your for your Windows Product key 25 alpha-numeric characters (5 groups of 5) but just in case it does then make sure the Certificate of Authenticity (CofA) that is affixed to the bottom/underside of the computer is legible and has not been rubbed of or worn so its unreadable…. write down the product key… check you have got it right… then check it again, remember Microsoft uses a print style that can make a B look very similar to the figure 8 especially if your visual accuity is not spot on! get it in a comfortable position and use a hand lens if necessay when you check it a final time! If you do a successfull restore then do not plug in your ethernet cable, or configure your Internet access, just report back as your computer will be a sitting duck for re-infection until we have completed additional steps.

6 If you can't get into the recovery utility then post back and we will start on a longer procedure that hopefully will do the trick for you
You will definitely need the correct 25 character product serial key from the Cof A as mentioned above for this alternative procedure.
Let us know how you get on.
Regards
paws
Yo Paws, thanks for helping this very nice gentlemen, much appreciated. Been at this for a long time and the condition of this system is one of the worst I have seen in awhile, sometimes even if a system can be cleaned and made operational , with some of the threats going around now it could leave the system Compromised, what that means is that even if the main infection is gone the computer cant be trusted to do any personal stuff like banking and using a credit card to purchase goods from a vendor. Out of about every 100 or so systems that I have cleaned I only recommend a format and reinstall on maybe one or two. Some people really abuse there computers, clicking on links and downloading stuff they know nothing about and on the other hand some people just don't realize the seriousness of the latest threats and the importance of having Anti Virus software up to date as well as windows updates, there just not aware Where I work we have about a 100 computers and doing what I do I am constantly asked questions from fellow employees about viruses and such, they ask things like , my computer has slowed down drastically, my browser goes to other sites that I dont want to go to, the first thing I ask them is if they have AV installed and about 99.9 % of the time the answer i get is "I THINK SO". I have worked on peoples computers at home and have seen systems that do have AV installed but the program is sometimes 2 years out of date, not good. I have seen people at work at lunch time when we have internet access to close out a windows update notice , update Java notice , run a virus scan just so they can post to Facebook that they had a great chicken sandwich for lunch. Oh well, I sometimes want to give up trying to lecture these guys and gals, its fruitless sometimes Ken :)
PAWS; Good morning and welcome to to fight. Before I start I need some clarification on your instructions. You say to "keep it safe, on CD or DVD ", can I use a thumb drive? I can and will burn it to a CD or DVD but I am a lazy, laid back Californacan so, well, you know… :-) I hate a track-pad but can use it :-( . I have been using a 4 port hub and a wireless mouse so I will unplug them for this exercise. You say "Now plug in the mains cable via its adapter in the normal way." I do not know what you mean by 'mains cable and adapter'. Just a comment - I learned a long time ago not to let a computer out of my sight with a restore disc in the drive. I went for a smoke, pee, coffee break for about 15 minutes and came back to find some one ( who shall remain unnamed) had pushed the power button and followed the instructions that came up. I got back in time to save it from udder destruction. The Compaq is operating on WiFi hook up to my router, should I turn that off for step 1? When I hear back on my questions I will proceed. Thank you for your time and effort. Without people like you there would be a lot more of these thing in the landfills.
Hi, Ken; A quick comment on your post. As ignorant as I am about computers, I am the 'tech guy' in our family. My own daughters (in their 40's) will turn off the A/V and Windows updates because it interferes with their Facebooking. Luckily they pretty much only use F/B and things that are linked to it so the slow downs in their computers are mostly just junk build up and lack of defragging, stuff like that. The young lady that gave me this Compaq did nothing, the discs that came with it, Operating sys, Critical Security updates, and Norton A/V were all in sealed envelopes. She is my daughter- in-laws niece and a sweetheart, really. In spite of her brown hair and beautiful brown eyes, and dusty skin, in her heart of hearts, deep in her core being she is a blonde, just sayin' :-) Later, Harold
Hi Harold,

You say to "keep it safe, on CD or DVD ", can I use a thumb drive?

Sure thing.. that will do nicely. just dont try and install it yet…

I have been using a 4 port hub and a wireless mouse so I will unplug them for this exercise.

That's good.. it eliminates one source of potential error…. but like you I prefer a mouse to the trackpad!

I do not know what you mean by 'mains cable and adapter'.

Sorry I was unclear (I'm several thousand miles away in the UK and there are different phrases used depending which side of the pond we are…. if I use a "foreign" term again please shout at me and I'll try and explain a bit better!…. . the mains cable that I was referring to is the electrical cord that connects the computer (laptop) to the electrical mains supply in your home.. in North America it may be called the electrical wall socket, or maybe the outlet? the adapter is the small "black box" that sits twixt the mains electrical power cord and the laptop, it drops the voltage from the mains supply around 120V in North America (and is generally rated between 100V and 240V) down to 19v and adapts it from AC to DC

The Compaq is operating on WiFi hook up to my router, should I turn that off for step 1?

Yes that would be a good move (we don't want it connecting to the net (if our short cut works) until we have put our protections in place. It shouldn't connect automatically as the routers within range should all have encryption on them so that a password has to be entered… but stranger things have happened…. warn other users of the router that you will be pulling the plug on it for a short while and they will not be able to use the router whilst this is happening.. other wise you might upset folks who are in the middle of uploading their 90,000 word Phd thesis…
Fingers crossed
Let us know if this works ..if not we will need to move to Plan B
Regards
paws
Hi Ken, Many thanks for helping Harold with this computer, I reckon we should be able to get him up and running so fingers crossed When we are done I'll probably recommend that Harold takes a disc image once the computer is running fast and sweet updated and with all protections in force and his favourite software loaded. I'm hoping that there is a recovery partition that we can access on his computer but if not we will just have to do it the longer way! Yes I am with you 100% in your comments… but if folks watched where they clicked, had a good AV and a firewall, kept away from problematic sites and avoided P2P file sharing then I would probably have to close my repair shop… retire and draw on my pension! "Fortunately" they will continue to practice unsafe surfing (just like the former owner of Harold's computer) so at least my business will continue….. at least for the forseeable future!… Once again Ken many thanks for the thousands and thousands of folks who you help on this and other forums…. All best regards paws
PAWS: I tried step 2 and as I was redoing it a few times I saw there was white wording appearing for a half a second or so and I saw that there was 3 lines of type set up the way Windows does when they want you to select one of them, I set my finger on the up arrow and nailed it the first try. It stopped the computer on the screen. I selected 'Microsoft Windows Recovery console' Pushed enter and got a second screen. I am going to try to upload 2 pictures (camera) that I took of the screens. I can't figure out what to do to get past the second screen. It looks like I have both pics loaded. Take a look, Thanks, H.
Hi Harold,
I think your whole system is too far gone to take advantage of using a repair installation of Windows… What we need to do is to is to format and reinstall Windows from scratch. (so we get rid of all the bad stuff)
Before we go too far along this route I want you to check your hard drive for errors and inconsistencies (there is no point in installing Windows afresh if your hard drive is failing…. better to bite the bullet and fit a new hard drive and then install Windows on it…
Here's how I suggest you proceed to test it.

1 On a good computer go here:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
and download the hard drive testing utility for your computer (you will need to be able to identify the maker of your hard drive so you can download the correct utility) you can do this by physically inspecting it or through your BIOS (look at the hard drive and it should tell you the make.)
Whilst you are in the BIOS set the boot priority to:
First the CD/DVD drive
Second Hard drive O
Third Hard drive 1
and the rest dont really matter as long as they come after the above in terms of priority.

When leaving the BIOS don't forget to save the changes to boot priority order and then reboot with your Hard drive testing utility CD in the CD drive (the one you made from the tachtech site) Your computer should boot into a version of DOS and you will be able to start the drive checking and repair utility contained on the CD ..follow the menus…

2 First run the short test and if the hard drive passes then run the long test (you can omit the acoustic test )
Post back and let us know things go ie ifI need to know if it passes or fails…
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI