This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 7 upgrade

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have a laptop and desktop running Win 7 Home Premium. How do I download and install Win 8 so that I can have a disc for future reinstallations? If I use the convenient wizard, do I get a key so I can get future dowloads? I think I have to download the Windows dowload manager but am not sure. The ease of the wizard would be great for limited users like myself but I would also like to have a disc or some means of reinstalling in case of necessary recovery or repair. Thank you
It's pretty straight forward.

Buy WIn 8 Pro (32 or 64 bit) from MS: It begins here. Windows 8 and Windows RT. (Click on Download & Shop) - currently available for $39 upgrade price.

When the download completes, select the step to create bootable media, not install, and select .iso file.

Use the .iso file to create a DVD using ImgBurn at the slowest speed available or use Universal USB Installer to create a bootable flash drive to install from (that's what I did and it installs much quicker than from DVD).

If you choose a flash drive and the above program, select Windows 7 or Windows 8 from the first dropdown window, all the way to the bottom.

Other directions here: How to Create a Bootable USB or DVD with a Windows 8 ISO
I appreciate the tips. I assume Win 8 is Pro as I read some version cannot install third party programs. Is MSE able to run on it as I heard Win 8 has Defender back again and I don't know if it is just a scanner or a security program? I am curious, what does a person do if they just install the Win 8 program but do not create media to reinstall - can you use a key to download again? What happens if you make an error trying to use the iso file after you pay?
Yes, it's the Pro version. MSE will not install as Windows Defender is really MSE. If you open it from Control Panel, the interface is identical. If they don't create the media they can download it again. May take a call to MS but will not be a problem. What do you mean by "make an error"? Do you mean while creating a DVD or flash drive? If so, just do it again, including downloading if necessary.
Thaank you again and i hope I make it the first time. The following were not compatible with my Win 7 prior to the Win 8 upgrade; 1-dvds -does this mean I cannot play commercial videos but can still play my home dvds? How do I get get a codec for commercial dvds? 2-secure boot -I do not know how to rectify this -is this Bios? 3-screen resolution and snap I assume does not apply to my desktop 4-tv -I do not want 5-MSE -I can use Win 8 Defender in its place, I think 6-Avisynth2.5 - I can reinstall but do not know where to get it If you could briefly point me in the right direction I would be very grateful; especially the first two. I wonder if these can be done after upgrading? Thank you Peter
1-dvds -does this mean I cannot play commercial videos but can still play my home dvds? How do I get get a codec for commercial dvds?

Not sure what you mean by this. By dvds do you mean the DVD player or the software you use to play DVDs?

2-secure boot -I do not know how to rectify this -is this Bios?

What is secure boot? If it's BIOS then the OS doesn't matter.

3-screen resolution and snap I assume does not apply to my desktop

??? Screen resolution applies to any computer. SNAP is a Windows 7/8 feature that should work as far as I know.

4-tv -I do not want

If you do, you can download Media Center for Windows 8 for free from MS.

5-MSE -I can use Win 8 Defender in its place, I think

Yes, that's the default.

6-Avisynth2.5 - I can reinstall but do not know where to get it

According to their web site, it's Windows 8 compatible: http://avisynth.en.softonic.com/
Once again thank you for your help. I will install WinDVD. I will use Ashampoo to burn the iso file to dvd. Secure boot is all over the web;it is MS way of keeping Linux etc out. There are three letters affiliated with it which i have no idea what they mean and if you have it you enable it in the bios under security. I found avisynth and installed it and I don't have a tv tuner. When I get the courage up I'll go for it. Thanx again.
Thank you, Paws. I hope I can get the transition from 7 to 8 with this secure boot not being an issue. When I ran the test it said the process will halt if it is not installed. I don't have it so I will find out when I try. I got a good tip as to how to go about it and I'll be back as usual. Peter
When I tap F2 I see security as one of the tabs. There are only password choices. When I ran the compatibility scan I thought it sad if i didn't have what you mention, it would pause and tell me the scan would not continue.. If you think the installation will go through, that's good enough for me. It saves me a phone call to MS. I am also going to run the scan again and check the fine print. Thanx a lot.
The compatibility tester said,"You will not be able to use this feature with Win 8."

That does not mean i cannot get Win 8 as you say. I will download the iso file and burn it to dvd..

I assume I will have 64 bit as I have now.

I will install avisynth after as it was flagged..
Also install WinDVD ,as the test said dvd is not compatible.
Win Live essentials had my email client in it and it too was flagged so I hope I can install it after.
Ati an ATi manager need to be reinstalled as they were flagged.
Bluetooth was flagged to so I think I have toupdate the drivers,yes?

I have an attachment to be sure I am using the right part of my burner Ashapoo to burn the iso file. Could you please verify that the top one'burn cd/dvd/blueray etc from disc image

Thank you for your help
Peter
You seem to avoid ImgBurn which many of us recommend for burning CD/DVD from .iso files.

I don't use Ashampoo, never have so have no experience with it. ImgBurn is simple and always works so I stick with it.

I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 for my more complex CD/DVD creation tasks.

Which ever you use, burn at the slowest available speed.

You don't download the .iso file, you create it during the download process, see here: How to Download and Run the "Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant", step 17 specifically.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI