Hi, I am new in this forum. I reallly need some help here. First my computer is having this BSOD illness and it also have an error saying unmountable boot volume and the latest prob is.. I tried to do the recovery console booting my computer using a burned xp cd, I have followed the instructions that I have found in the web regarding the optical drive in BIOS, saving etc etc but the problem is in the black screen which is supposed to ask me what kind of installation etc etc… I am suppose to type number 1.. but it is not giving me that option. Sop what I did was, I typed chkdsk /r in the command prompt instead and now it is currently checking my dick…. did I do it correctly? please help…. im really in a big trouble here and still I wanna save my computer… I am still optimistioc that I can sill save it. Thank you guys… I appreciate any reply.
Hi bcn101, and welcome to the WTT forums,
Sorry to hear of the problem with your computer.
Running chkdsk with the r switch
chkdsk /r
is often a way of achieving success, report back and let us know if it does the trick for you.
There are other things you can try but sometimes it is easier and quicker to reinstall Windows using a genuine Microsoft windows XP installation disc….
You will hopefully have a recent back up/copy of everything that is important to you kept safe on removable media??
or if you have a good disc image made when your machine was running fast and sweet together with a bootable C that will allow you to access the disc image then you can be up and running again in less time than it takes to walk the dog….
If by any chance there is any important stuff on your computer that is not in your back up then providing there has been no electro-mechanical failure of the hard drive it may be possible to rescue the data, so post back and let us know if you need help with any of this
Regards
paws
Hi paws… Thanks for a very reply. I meant "disk"…sorry :-$..
Anyhow…. My chkdsk was being interrupted and now i am running it back again. I am confused caused i have followed every instruction and the checking went up to 75% but after a few seconds it went down to 50% though itgoes up tho 51 and just stayed there until now that i am writing this Message, it remains in 51 for minutes now. Question, is it normal…. An i doing it right? again, thanks.
Hi bcn101, Running chkdsk /r can take several hours to complete, so dont interrupt it ….. just let it run, when its finished all 5 passes it should reboot your computer automatically.
Regards
paws
Paws, hi agaIn….just a question. You told me that this pRocess will run for hours. I have been running it since last night and till now it is giving me 65% . Is It normal?
H ibcn101, No that's not normal, unless you have gi normous amount of hard drive space to check (many Terrabytes…or a very slow computer) it should complete all 5 passes and then restart your computer within 3 hours (normally, but it can take longer) LET IT RUN OVERNIGGHT IF YOU CAN BEAR IT!
or Let it run for as long as you can tolerate….
The next step would be to download the hard drive manufacturer's drive checking/repair utility,create the bootable CD and boot from it…run the quick test first then if all is OK do the long test…..
More details available from here:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
This should tell you if your drive is shot….
or hopefully repair it….
Regards
paws
Paws, indeed its a very slow computer. And with drive c it only has 8 gb free. Its been running 15 hours i guess…. And still in 65. I'm really worried.
Paws…. I have some questions. I let the computer to run overnight…perhaps it was running
More than 24 hours already. When i woke up this morning it is already turned off. Should thre be a log or some report after the chkdsk? If so, i didn't find one. Second, my computer if still slow and just now it gives me this bsod again so i need to turn it off
. Third, i have chedcked my pics…all gone. Should it erase all my files? My documents files has not been eliminated. Help….please. Should i run the chkdsk again?
Hi bcn101, It sounds like your hard drive is failing so don't run the chkdsk again…
Did you make sure that your "back up" was 100% as per my previous posts?
Did you run the hard drive testing utility that gave you the link for?
If you are still getting the "umnmountable boot volume" after having run chkdsk /r
then maybe its time to fit in a new hard drive and put Windows and all your applications on afresh….
Regards
paws
Hi paws, I'm really a newbie here…. Please help me..i don't understand everything…i don't care if my files will be deleted. I just want My computer to work Again. Please?
Hi, Yes if the hard drive is listed in the bios as Toshiba then try their hard drive testing/repair utility from the link I gave earlier. If this is not conclusive then try the Seatools utility as this seems to work well on a lot of drives.
If it tests as bad and cannot be repaired then you will need to fit a new hard drive and reinstall Windows and your applications, you can then copy across your data files from your last good back up.
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI