This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 7 Ready Boost advice

21 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

@ digerati & Terry1966: So, which will be faster in real life use? Internal SSD on SATA1

Can you physically mount a SSD internally? SSDs and HDs are not the same physical size. You would need some sort of mechanical adapter.


yes they are both 2.5 inch drives from my understanding.

:popcorn:
Yeah, but even a small notebook HD is twice as thick as an SSD. So the SSD would mount with the use of an adapter bracket of some kind. If a PC, this would not be a problem. But a notebook, again with proprietary designs, I don't know.
Guys, Again, thanks for your great help! Your lasts posts settle it: it's going to be an internal SSD. Now all I need is to select model/type. Write/read speeds won't need to exceed 150MB/s (SATA 1) so I think that old models can still top my connection transfer rates… Are you allowed to give make/model advice on the forum? If so, I need a 250GB or maybe 500GB.
I've read some bad thing about OCZ's internal SSDs (lousy firmware) leading to lots of returns and some very good things about Intel (there are others too), but it comes down to buyer choice. I'd suggest seeing what is available that suits your needs / price and try and read some independent reviews. Good luck with it :thumbup: Cheers, Lee
Thanks Lee,

I've found these: Pls advise. Consider that my connection will be SATA 1 (150MB/s) so any faster read/write speeds than 150MB/s would be a waste of money. Under 100$ I can get almost any brand in the 256GB size. For example:
94$ >>> https://www.google.com/shopping/product/144…CJcBEPMCMAg4jAE

But if I spend just a bit more… I can get these in the 512GB size:
152$ >>> http://magicwb.info/crucial-ct512m4ssd2-51…onics_p728.html
183$ >>> http://noisewb.info/kingston-ssd-v100-512g…r_id=B0049G3N4Q
186$ >>> http://magicwb.info/ocz-vertex-4-512gb-sat…onics_p754.html
189$ >>> http://noisewb.info/ocz-ptl125sat3512g-pet…r_id=B006MQ64DI
unlike lee i think ocz make great drives, and are always my first choice for recommendations, they are always among the fastest in reviews and i have had no problems with own my ocz ssd. the crucial 512GB for $150 would be my choice from your links. :popcorn:
that link is over a year old lee, and no there was no recall of ozc drives unlike crucial had to. intel's had just as many problems, just look at their 320 firmware problems and the fiasco with their 520 and it's broken encryption controller just a few months ago. seriously if your in the market for a new ssd then definitely consider the vertex 4 and agility 4 drives, same 5 year warranty as other makers and ocz's customer support is about the best if you are unlucky enough to get a problem, no idea what their octane and petrol drives are like tho. :popcorn:
The return rate link is not old, it's 25/10/2012.

For SSDs, Intel was there at the very beginning and worked with SandForce firmware from the get-go to make sure their SSDs were well suited. OCZ certainly didn't and their return rates show it.

The reliability result regardless of year, has OCZ the worst of the bunch (2.01 better than last year though).

2012
- Intel 0.45% (against 1.73%)
- Samsung 0.48% (N / A)
- Corsair 1.05% (against 2.93%)
- Crucial 1.11% (against 0.82%)
- OCZ 5.02% (against 7.03%)

2012
I wouldn't buy some of these OCZ models that's for sure!
- 40.00% OCZ Petrol 64GB
- 39.42% OCZ Petrol 128GB
- 30.85% OCZ Octane 128 GB SATA II
- 29.46% OCZ Octane SATA II 64GB
- 9.73% OCZ Vertex 2 120GB 3.5 "
- 9.59% OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
- 6.73% OCZ Vertex 2 60GB
- 5.43% OCZ Agility 3 240GB
- 5.12% OCZ Vertex Plus 128GB

SSDs, just like all hardware, you put your money down and take your chances on A. it working at all and B. Long term reliability.

For SSDs, Intel was there at the very beginning and worked with SandForce firmware from the get-go to make sure their SSDs were well suited. OCZ certainly didn't and their return rates show it.


sandforce is the controller not the firmware, lots of drives use a sandforce controller.

yes ocz had problems when they used the sandforce controller but they were overcome with a simple firmware update.

their newer drives now use a marvel controller.

:popcorn:
I bought a Kingston SSDNow V200 128 GB SATA III 6 GB/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - SV200S37A/128G on 8/17 which has worked flawlessly and is very fast. I know they had some problems with an earlier model too but this one seems to be holding up well.
I am thinking of going with crucial 512GB for $150. I could use the extra space. Any suggestions against this particular SSD? Pls consider that I have SATA 1 connections which make it a waste to buy a faster SSD… BTW, I have 2 other threads, languishing in agony… if anyone has time for them, I would really appreciate it…
I've used Crucial, Intel and OCZ with no problems with any of them - I hope I didn't just jinx myself since I am planning a new build for me that will be SSD based.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI