This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

New computer - slow Firefox browser [Solved]

51 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been speaking with some fantastic colleagues about your system. It was noted that you are running both Storegate which is an online backup system and BoxSync. If you are running both to make backups every time a file is changed then this could certainly effect the performance of your system. Could you check what the settings are on those programs? The good part is that we don't believe that this is malware related any longer. :)
Hi! I fixed the screensaver ordeal - at least for the time being- Storgate/Autostore is from our ADSL provider. I'm not using it, more than having installed it. I planned to save my photos there, but haven't come that far. My husband has around 70.000 photos stored there and I also wanted to have access to them. However, I found out, it's much faster to use a memory stick directly on his computer. I might as well uninstall. Do you think I should? The BoxSync is not autosyncing, so that wouldn't make to much trouble. Actually, I think my computer is running fairly well now, after all you've done. Whatever would people like me do :scratch: , if you guys couldn't help us? :notworthy: Is it time for the big cleanup now? :o
Hi,

With photos I always back them up on CD/DVD. That is the most stable way to save your pictures…even though it may not be the fastest way to access them it is the safest.

Actually, I think my computer is running fairly well now

:thumbup:

Providing there are no other malware related problems…

IT APPEARS THAT YOUR LOGS ARE NOW CLEAN :D SO LETS DO A COUPLE OF THINGS TO WRAP THIS UP!! :D

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees. As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.
———-

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Press the Windows key + R and this will open the Run box. Copy/paste the following text into the Run box as shown and click OK.
Combofix /Uninstall
(Note: There is a space between the ..X and the /U that needs to be there.)

[external image: Posted Image]
———-

Clean up with OTL:
  • Right-click and Run as Administrator OTL.exe to start the program.
  • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
  • On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
———-

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.
If you didn't already have it I would keep Malwarebytes AntiMalware though.


Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

1. Internet Explorer. Even if you don't use it as your main browser it should be kept up-to-date because that is the browser Windows uses for updates.
Make your Internet Explorer more secure
- This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
2. FireFox. If you use Firefox, I recommend installing the following add-ons to help make your Firefox browser more secure:
NoScript
AdBlock Plus

3. Enable Protected Mode in Internet Explorer. This helps Windows Vista users stay more protected from attack by running Internet Explorer with restricted privileges as well as reducing the ability to write, alter or destroy data on your system or install malicious code. To make sure this is running follow these steps:
  • Open Internet Explorer
  • Click on Tools > Internet Options
  • Press Security tab
  • Select Internet zone then place check next to Enable Protected Mode if not already done
  • Do the same for Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites and then press Apply
  • Restart Internet Explorer and in the bottom right corner of your screen you will see Protected Mode: On showing you it is enabled.
4. Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

5. Firewall
Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. I would personally only recommend using one of the following two below:
Online Armor Free
Agnitum Outpost Firewall Free

6. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current. Windows XP users can visit Windows update regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems. Without these you are leaving the back door open.

7. WOT (Web of Trust) As "Googling" is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an add-on available for Firefox, Internet Explorer as well as Google Chrome.

8.Finally, I strongly recommend that you read How to Prevent Malware found here and also PC Safety and Security - What Do I Need?.

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.

Hi,

With photos I always back them up on CD/DVD. That is the most stable way to save your pictures…even though it may not be the fastest way to access them it is the safest.

……..



I have all mine backed up both on DVD and on external harddiscs.

Concerning my passwords, they are saved in Roboform. Do I need to change all those - there are more than 500 - or is it OK to only change the master password?


1. All the Internet Explorer suggestions were the same as in my IE.

2. NoScript and AdBlock Plus downloaded and installed.

3. Protected Mode was already enabled.

4. I've had avast for years and it updates numerous times per day. That's OK, isn't it?

5. Do I really need another firewall. I've got, of course, the Windows', but there is also a firewall in our router. The windows fw I can turn off, but not the router one. Couldn't there be a conflict if I have another one?

6. My Windows update is working automatically, but sometimes I also start it manually, as I do with avast.

7. WOT is downloaded and installed.

8. …. and I'm about to read your number 8.


Once again - concerning passwords - this, below, is a good idea - NO? LOL


jeffce et al AND especially you, Jeff - THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK, without you and your help, I would have been like this :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair: for ages, ending up with a complete new install with all the work, that goes with that. I could never, ever learn all that stuff. You're thee BEST!

Attachments:

Hi,

You are more than welcome and glad that we were able to help. :)

Do I really need another firewall. I've got, of course, the Windows', but there is also a firewall in our router.

Nope…I would go with what you have and you should be just fine.

Once again - concerning passwords

I think that you should be able to just change the master password and you should be good. :)
Hi, I see that you're still sticking to XP/Vista. We have XP on two computers, Vista on one and then two with Windows 7. I must say I'm not that keen on Vista on my husband's stationable. I do like XP much better. Not too much screwing up there. The WOT actually did make Firefox very slow and the NoScript is like running in syrup. Do I really need (both) of those or do they "learn" over time? I went nuts yesterday, when I was about to answer you. It was absolutely hopeless to access WhatTheTech - it took ages. Are you using them? Finally - I really want to contribute for the help I've gotten, but it's hard for me to decide a sum. Your work is priceless and those sums I haven't got. Please give me a hint, what would be appropiate. All my very best regards :wavey: and I do hope I wont see you again - LOL - at least not on these pages Annelie

The WOT actually did make Firefox very slow and the NoScript is like running in syrup. Do I really need (both) of those or do they "learn" over time? I went nuts yesterday, when I was about to answer you. It was absolutely hopeless to access WhatTheTech - it took ages. Are you using them?

Yes they do learn over time but if you find that they slow your system too much you can uninstall them if you like. These are just suggestions that I gave you of course. I actually use Google Chrome and love it. I have found that Firefox in general has gotten so much slower than it used to be. Once I moved to Chrome I never looked back. :)
———

Finally - I really want to contribute for the help I've gotten, but it's hard for me to decide a sum. Your work is priceless and those sums I haven't got. Please give me a hint, what would be appropiate.

That is very kind of you, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving a sum. Whatever you like to donate or just the thank you that you have already given is fine too. :)
———-

:wavey:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI