Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91735 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Java script problem?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 satchmo

satchmo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hello, I recently went through the acquisition and subsequent cleaning of a nasty virus:

http://forums.whatth...h...124386&st=0

JonTom did a great job helping me with that however I still have some problems with my computer. I cannot use some websites that I had been using prior to the virus; examples being grooveshark.com and ticketmaster.com (they both initially load however lack functionality). Also, when using hotmail.com, it sometimes becomes a 'zombie' and I get a message that live.com is not working and the page loses functionality.

Of greatest concern is a website I need to do my job; http://las.mlxchange.com and I get the following error:

Login :
SiteCode : LAS
EventID : 1007
Category : 4
Severity : 1
Log : JS Exception caught in http://www.passioni....toolbar.user.js - Window.OnError: Unexpected quantifier in line 32
Date : Sat Sep 29 2012 - 11:42:06 EDT

Please help!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hi Satchmo, Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer.
Its good to know that your machine is now clear of infections but of course we do not know if long term damage has been caused to important system files and services....

The current problems could be as a result of the infection or may be entirely unrelated....

The first step is to try booting into safe mode with networking ( post back if you need directions on how to do that)

Then very carefully test your machine...... I say carefully, as in safe mode with networking you should be able to use the "net" despite only a minimal set of drivers and only essential elements being loaded... NOTE your anti virus and other protections may not be operative fully in safe mode so do be carefull!

If safe mode with networking enables you to overcome the problems then it indicates that something that loads in normal mode but not in safe mode is the culprit(s)

Then its the case of using msconfig in normal mode to remove from startup all items and then enabling them one by one with a reboot inbetween each one until the problem ocurrs, when you will have found the culprit.....

In the workshop we tend to enable 50% of the items and then reboot (keep a note with pencil and paper of which items you are enabling) we can then quickly identify which half of the issues contains the problematic entry.... if with 50% of the items enabled there are still no problems showing then the other 50% next need to be addressed and we use the same approach ......enable half of that group and see how it goes....(don't forget to keep a log of which ones you have dealt with....

You may then need to do a similar thing with the Services tab, but this time hide all Microsoft services and deal with the rest in the same way.....

With good records you may only need to reboot half a dozen times or so to get the result you want.... so it should not take very long.
Incidentally keep a look out for any thing relating to your mouse and keyboard and leave these alone.

As you use the computer for work presumably you have a good back up and a disc image...? so in the worst case scenarion it would not take long to reimage your system back to its "perfect state"
Let us know how things go
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 satchmo

satchmo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Paws, thank you for the quick reply. I have dell datasafe online backup, so that should be covered. Here's the thing. your message was probably written in a very basic way, but I'm not a 'computer person' so I need it dumbed down a little. Is your message saying to try to use the websites that I am having problems with in safe mode to see if they work there? and then go from there or is it saying something completely different? I can get through it, just need a little help. Thanks

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi satchmo

Is your message saying to try to use the websites that I am having problems with in safe mode to see if they work there?

yes that's the first step...but it has to be safe mode with networking.... ordinary safe mode wont work
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 satchmo

satchmo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

alright, went to those 3 websites in safe mode/networking and all 3 were completely operational in safe mode. step 1 complete! please advise.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

That's good, it indicates there's nothing wrong with your hardware so its a software/operating system error that is the most likely cause....
Whilst in safe mode with networking we need to go into msconfig
Here's a link that explains how to use msconfig:
https://support.smit...-using-msconfig
once you have msconfig open follow the directions and let us know which items when started cause the problems
Regards
paws

#7 satchmo

satchmo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

alright, tried to start doing this and I have a question. you said to start out in safe mode w/ networking however the article doesn't say anything about being in safe mode. should I always be in safe mode while doing this or only prior to step 1?

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

Hi satchmo, When you make the alterations via msconfig as soon as you reboot it will normally boot into normal mode...you can make the further amendments( whilst you are in normal mode) enabling the disabled items one at a time and then rebooting to see if the problem surfaces... however if you keep a good note of which items you have enabled its often easier to enable 50% of the disabled items at a time... Let us know how you go Regards paws

Edited by paws, 02 October 2012 - 02:33 AM.

#9 satchmo

satchmo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

alright, not sure what to make of it. I first enabled the first half; rebooted; and nothing was solved. then, out of curiosity, enabled the other half; rebooted; and nothing was solved. then, there was 4 startup items that began with A and tried each of them-one at a time-and, obv, nothing was solved. from those 3 samples, is it safe to assume that the culprit wont show itself in this manner? or have I not done this correctly?

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hi Satchmo

I first enabled the first half; rebooted; and nothing was solved

When you enable the first half and then reboot you are looking for the failure to occur..... if it doesn't occur then its likely its the problem is in the second half.....
so to sum up you are looking for the startup(s) item that causes the problem ( inability to access certain website in normal mode) this is a diagnostic procedure to identify the culprit(s) the fix to solve the problems comes later once we have identified the culprit(s)

Don't forget that you may have to follow the instructions also using the Services tab in msconfig....
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 03 October 2012 - 01:37 AM.
typo

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 satchmo

satchmo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

alright, I had enabled the first half in startup and then the 2nd half and the problem was present both times--I take that to mean that the problem won't be found here. I tried to do the same in services however my computer couldn't connect to the internet (so I could test whether the websites were working) when either the first half or 2nd half of the items were enabled. Please advise.

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Hi Satchmo,

alright, I had enabled the first half in startup and then the 2nd half and the problem was present both times

Can you just check please that when you "disable all" in the "startup" that you can connect to the sites concerned
thanks
paws

#13 satchmo

satchmo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

ok, I disabled all in services and then in startup--->basically the first couple steps from the link you gave me. In normal startup mode, I cannot utilize the needed websites after that. from prior testing, I could access them in safemode. Please advise; thank you.

#14 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,791 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

When you are disabling services, please make sure you Check the box that says Hide all Microsoft services before disabling anything.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#15 satchmo

satchmo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

ztruker, I went through and did it once more to verify. 1. started in safe mode with networking 2. followed instructions from website given--hide all microsoft/disable + startup/disable all 3. restarted in normal mode 4. websites that i've noticed not to work are still not working please advise