Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

The internet connection has been lost

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 yaniz

yaniz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

Hi, Yesterday I formatted partition C: and installed a clean XP Pro SP3 and everything was just fine. The internet connection was fine all day long but today after having started the pc I was unable to connect to the internet. Chrome, Firefox and Explorer provided all much the same error: "Error 106. The internet connection has been lost". First I colud not find the network adapter in the device manager but found it finally in the device manager under view > show hidden devices. Any ideas? Thank you for your kind help and efforts!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Did it have an exclamation mark next to it ? First thought is it needs reinstalling, simplest way is probably right click on it's entry in device manager, and select uninstall, then reboot and let the wizard find and install it as a new device, all being well it will reset everything. The other way (possibly the better way) is to go to the makers site, and download the driver for the LAN, then install it and see if that rectifies the issue, if you have no other connection to the net then definitely use this option, otherwise you won't be able get back online if it can't find a driver by the previous method, as XP doesn't have as many files as the newer OS's, as far as I know anyway, hope something here helps.

Braindead

#3 yaniz

yaniz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thank you for help. I would gladly try the second method you provided but cannot not find the driver on the pc makers (Fujitsu's site). There is a network driver available but it is older than the one installed in my pc according to the device manager. The network adapter in my pc is "Accton EN1207D-TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport", driver version 5.1.2535.0, driver date 2001-07-01 (July 1st 2001). Is there any reliable site where older drivers are available to download from? Greatful for any help.

#4 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

OK managed to find what you need, I hope it is anyway, but you don't get an installer to run with this, so I will lay out the best way to do it, hopefully you will be able to make out what I mean incase I forget the correct terms in xp.

First get your drivers from Here, they are in a zipped file.

I suggest creating a new folder on the desktop for ease of finding, then move this file into that folder, then right click on the file and select Extract Here, this assumes you have software that allows this, if not 7-Zip is a great tool, I suggest the new folder due to containing the numerous files within it and giving the system a single location to look for.

Next go to the location in the device manager for this, right click on it and select Install (or Update) Driver, select to get the file from a specific location, as opposed to a disk or online, then use the Browse button to take it to the new folder on the desktop, only tell it the new folder location, don't select folders inside this due to the following, then make sure any box to check inside sub folders or the like is selected appropriately, then OK it.

You should now be able to proceed with the install all being well, and hopefully this will sort the problem, if not report back and we will do what we can.

Braindead

#5 yaniz

yaniz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Thank you very much for your kind help and efforts. I will perform the actions according to your instructions as soon as I solve this annoying new issue. XP is freezing after startup and after a dialogue box in the right lower corner saying "Found New Hardware Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)". Can this be related to the network adapter driver. I doubt it as the pc worked fine all day yesterday. I doubt there is any malware involved since a clean and fresh XP installation was made two days ago. I will try to do a repair with the installation cd to see if it solve the issue :pullhair:

#6 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

No that is for the sound, not LAN, and as this is a fresh install I have to wonder if you have installed all the required drivers, xp, unlike it's newer offerings, does not have as much an ability to have drivers for most systems, so it requires users to install pretty much ALL drivers it needs, have you done this ?
And when you look in the device manager do you see any elements that stand out from the rest ? usually an exclamation mark next to the item.

I doubt a repair install will work, not unless disk was created when the system was fully installed and working fine, this further leads me to ask what disk are you recovering from ?
Are you using an xp disk, a hidden recovery (not sure you have this given the age), or is there a recovery disk that was created after the system was fully working ?

I ask as it sounds like many drivers have not been installed the way your going, also you need to bare in mind there will be a shed load of windows updates if this is a fresh reinstall, and as it updates it may uncover further items as it builds it's awareness as the updates come in, and to this end how did you go about this recovery ?
There is a specific order to install the initial drivers if using a normal xp install disk, if it's some kind of recovery disk supplied by the system maker this may have what you need already, but once you can tell us what disk your using we can advise on what to do.

Now your sound driver, there may be numerous drivers for a range of these cards (I don't know the variations available), so go to This Site from creative, and it shows how to find your model, and even has a scan to auto detect the card it if I read the page correctly, hopefully you will be guided to the right driver using this page, if you are not sure, if you can state the exact soundcard model we can help find what you need.

Braindead

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:31 AM

Hi Yaniz, When you formatted your C drive it will have removed all your Windows installation files and all your drivers( in fact everything on your C drive) Windows XP has its own in built suite of drivers but it will not have the manufacturers specific drivers for all of your computer, so after a reformat its important to visit the computer manufacturere's website find your make and model number and download and install chipset drivers, video drivers and audio drivers ( in that order) Regards paws Edit ..I have just seen that 8210GUY has already responded...sorrry 8210GUY!

Edited by paws, 24 September 2012 - 03:32 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#8 yaniz

yaniz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:10 AM

Thank you very much both of you, 8210Guy and paws! Yes, you're right, I realize now that drivers are missing. It is however strange considering that I have made several new installations before with the very same cd and had no problems until this recent installation. Maybe I did something different before!? Here are my answers to your your questions: Q- When you look in the device manager do you see any elements that stand out from the rest ? usually an exclamation mark next to the item. A- No, just a couple of hidden devices Q- Are you using an xp disk? A- Yes, I am using XP Pro SP3 My daughters's boyfriend suggested I should download a torrent with all xp drivers, something like "Drivers XP for all mother boards". Is this legal? Is it any good? I'm not keen on downloading torrents with a load of carp** that may mess up the pc even more. Best regards!

#9 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

My daughters's boyfriend suggested I should download a torrent with all xp drivers, something like "Drivers XP for all mother boards". Is this legal? Is it any good? I'm not keen on downloading torrents with a load of carp** that may mess up the pc even more.

Going to the manufacturer's website to download Drivers for your machine is the safest and most effective, as suggested by 8210guy and Paws.

Yes, torrents "can" get you involved with things you do not want.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#10 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

Edit ..I have just seen that 8210GUY has already responded...sorrry 8210GUY!

NP it's all good, done the same many times due to slow typing lol. As exampled here by Doug rofl :rofl:

My daughters's boyfriend suggested I should download a torrent with all xp drivers, something like "Drivers XP for all mother boards". Is this legal? Is it any good? I'm not keen on downloading torrents with a load of carp** that may mess up the pc even more.

Best regards!

Maybe you have added these devices after the initial purchase ?
But if you only have the full on xp disk, you should always install the drivers from the makers site(s), but on lesser known makers it can be hard to find the right ones, but the rule of thumb is get then save ALL drivers to a disk or back up of some kind, that way you will always have them at hand should the worst happen, there is nothing worse than having a single connection to the net, and have that go down, only to find you need the net for drivers before you can get on the net, so my rule of thumb is get and save them somewhere safe, then you always have what you need, I do not like using windows update for drivers, I always go to the makers site(s) for them.

Now there are 2 sides to the suggestion you have been given, 1st it's a handy tool if your always doing installs on many different systems, 2nd I would not use a torrent of this unless I knew it was from a trusted source, torrents are not bad in themselves, BUT, many bad people take advantage of spreading misery through them, so best advise is use them if the source is trusted, I believe Asus offer torrents as a source for their drivers as their server gets choked at times, this is an example of a good source, as best I would be able to tell on such things anyway, others may have further comments\advice on this.

But the bottom line for that suggestion, is IMHO it would not be worth it in your case going on what you have said so far, but if you could if you wanted, I would just get the drivers specific to your system and keep them saved on an external source of some kind, then you will always have what you need for that system, hope this helps.

Edited by 8210GUY, 24 September 2012 - 08:42 AM.

Braindead

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 yaniz

yaniz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

Ok, thanks, 8210GUY That iswhat I suspected regarding the torrents ... Since the xp freezes during the booting process, I went into safe mode and updated the Accton network adapter driver with the driver you sent me today (from Acctons site) in the device manager but "the wizard could not find a better match for my hardware than the software I currently have installed". Now I am as lost as my lost internet connection ...

#12 yaniz

yaniz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I will go to the manufacturers website to download drivers for my machine but which drivers do I have to install and how do I install them? From the device manager in safe mode? Below is a list of device drivers available for my machine on the manufacturer's website. Hope I will be able to figure this out with your help. Best regards. MODEM DRIVER for AZTECH MSP3885-E VER.6.01.18.00 WinXP 6.01.18.00 17.12.2004 1,11 MB - INTEL® CHIPSET SOFTWARE INSTALLATION UTILITY Other versions 6.0.0 - 1014 16.11.2004 1,82 MB [multilingual] NVIDIA WinXP DRIVER VERS:5.3.0.3 for W2K/WinXP 5.3.0.3 10.02.2004 11,27 MB - NVIDIA WinXP DRIVER VERS:5.2.1.6 for W2K/WinXP 5.2.1.6 30.10.2003 7,53 MB - Soundtreiber für SBLIVE(ct4830) und AUDIGY 5.12.01.0383 for Win2K,WinXP 5.12.01.0383 14.07.2003 3,67 MB - SOUNDTREIBER FÜR MB MIT CMEDIA CMI8738 SOUNDCHIP VER.5.12.01.0644 FÜR WINXP,W2K,WinME 5.12.01.0644 30.05.2003 2,18 MB - NVIDIA WinXP DRIVER VERS:4.3.5.1 for WinXP 4.3.5.1 28.05.2003 16,29 MB - NVIDIA WinXP DRIVER VERS:4.1.0.4 for WinXP 4.1.0.4 23.01.2003 10,57 MB - [Save the file into the Driver Basket] [Download] Download [Download] [Download] INTEL APPLICATION ACCELERATOR V2.3.0.2160 ALL LANGUAGES 2.3.0.2160 31.12.2002 5,34 MB [Language: German] [Language: English] [Language: Français] [Language: Italian] SOUNDTREIBER FÜR MB MIT CMEDIA CMI8738 SOUNDCHIP VER.5.12.01.0642 FÜR WINXP 5.12.01.0642 30.12.2002 0,01 MB - SOUNDTREIBER FÜR MB MIT CMEDIA CMI8738 SOUNDCHIP VER.5.12.01.0641 FÜR WINXP 5.12.01.0641 25.11.2002 2,06 MB - SOUNDTREIBER FÜR MB MIT CMEDIA CMI8738 SOUNDCHIP VER.5.12.01.0640 FÜR WINXP 5.12.01.0640 26.09.2002 2,06 MB - [Save the file into the Driver Basket] [Download] Download [Download] [Download] SOUNDTREIBER FÜR MB MIT CMEDIA CMI8738 SOUNDCHIP VER.5.12.01.0639 FÜR WINXP 5.12.01.0639 21.08.2002 2,06 MB - Network Driver 1.33.0709.2001 18.07.2002 0,02 MB - MODEM DRIVER AZTECH MSP3885-E WIN XP VER.4.05.04 WHQL 4.05.04 26.06.2002 1,42 MB - NVIDIA WinXP DRIVER VERS:2.9.4.2 for WinXP 2.9.4.2 26.06.2002 6,21 MB - [Save the file into the Driver Basket] NVIDIA WinXP DRIVER VERS:2.8.3.2 for WinXP 2.8.3.2 24.06.2002 6,17 MB - SOUNDTREIBER FÜR MB MIT CMEDIA CMI8738 SOUNDCHIP VER.5.12.01.0637 FÜR WINXP 5.12.01.0637 20.06.2002 2,02 MB - SOUNDTREIBER FÜR MB MIT CMEDIA CMI8738 SOUNDCHIP VER.5.12.01.0636 FÜR WINXP 5.12.01.0636 30.04.2002 1,95 MB - INTEL ULTRA ATA STORAGE DRIVER FLASH BIOS FÜR MSI 6398 VER. 1.3 1.30 17.05.2002 0,94 MB UPDATE VON INTERVIDEO WINDVD 3.1 AUF 3.2 3.2.41.114 20.06.2002 6,05 MB

#13 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

MODEM DRIVER for AZTECH MSP3885-E VER.6.01.18.00 WinXP 6.01.18.00
17.12.2004 1,11 MB This is your modem, as the title says.

INTEL® CHIPSET SOFTWARE INSTALLATION UTILITY
Other versions 6.0.0 - 1014
16.11.2004 1,82 MB This is your chipset, the main driver of the entire system, but you may find the Intel link further down has a much newer one instead, in which case use that one.

NVIDIA WinXP DRIVER VERS:5.3.0.3 for W2K/WinXP 5.3.0.3
10.02.2004 11,27 MB This is your video, and given it's from nvidia you can probably get a much more up to date driver direct from them, they do have a system scanner to check your video if it is theirs, I often use it and found it very accurate, won't hurt if you ran the same scan from them to find out if they pick up your video, you can do that Here, click the Graphics Drivers button and accept the install of the scan element, and see what comes back, it will link you to the right driver if it finds what is needed.

NVIDIA WinXP DRIVER VERS:5.2.1.6 for W2K/WinXP 5.2.1.6
30.10.2003 7,53 MB This is the same as previous, but notice the date and the driver version, it is an older driver than the previous one, and the rule of thumb is always use the newest driver, but there can be rare times where an older driver is required instead, but I have yet to come across this personally, so ignore older drivers, makers often have several versions of the same driver, just use the date and version number to select the newest one available, usually the first in the list as in this copy and paste.

Soundtreiber für SBLIVE(ct4830) und AUDIGY 5.12.01.0383 for Win2K,WinXP 5.12.01.0383
14.07.2003 3,67 MB This is for audio, but as with the video, check the link (posted previous above) to see if creative have the latest for your sound before using this.

SOUNDTREIBER FÜR MB MIT CMEDIA CMI8738 SOUNDCHIP VER.5.12.01.0644 FÜR WINXP,W2K,WinME 5.12.01.0644
30.05.2003 2,18 MB This is also for audio, but as with the video, check the link (posted previous above) to see if creative have the latest for your sound before using this, again often you may see numerous drivers from various makers for specific use, eg audio, BUT, only 1 of the drivers will be required by your system, often in mass production they may use several different components in building the same system, this is usually brought about by money, basically whats cheapest at the time of each order, you need to identify which make\model you have and select the one to suit your specific system, but given your previous response I doubt you have this one installed, you would only have the 1 device.

NVIDIA WinXP DRIVER VERS:4.3.5.1 for WinXP 4.3.5.1
28.05.2003 16,29 MB Again a much older video driver, so not needed.

NVIDIA WinXP DRIVER VERS:4.1.0.4 for WinXP 4.1.0.4
23.01.2003 10,57 MB Again an even older video driver, so not needed.

INTEL APPLICATION ACCELERATOR V2.3.0.2160 ALL LANGUAGES 2.3.0.2160
31.12.2002 5,34 MB As far as Intel drivers are concerned, I would just go to the Intel site, and run their scanner, it will identify several devices, and some it will report as unknown, that's because they are not from Intel, eg video, but where Intel devices are found, it will link to the required driver if needed.

Network Driver 1.33.0709.2001
18.07.2002 0,02 MB This is your Ethernet, this you must have before you can get online.

FLASH BIOS FÜR MSI 6398 VER. 1.3 1.30
17.05.2002 0,94 MB This is for flashing the bios, and getting it wrong can kill your system in the worst case, probably best left alone unless you are aware of the risks, and could benefit from it.

UPDATE VON INTERVIDEO WINDVD 3.1 AUF 3.2 3.2.41.114
20.06.2002 6,05 MB This is for software, probably came with the system, and unless you use this software it's not needed for the system, so can be left unless required.

I have cut out a lot of your list, because there are numerous repeats, and as I had explained in this why so many versions are listed, I figure you would be able to see and understand why so many are listed, and be able to single out whats required quite easily now, but if you need me to be more specific just say, but given the probable age of your system.

It will be quite common to get the message when trying to install a driver that a newer one is already installed, because it would of been added as a part of windows updates, and you may well find the same story with all these drivers given their age, but they will certainly get your system fully functional to get online, then windows updates will deal with updating some drivers as a part of it's update, hopefully this helps to make a bit of sense out of that anyway.

Once you have all the drivers, and are doing a new install, it is very important to install the drivers in a specific order, initially anyway, from memory it should ALWAYS be Chipset 1st (most important one), Video 2nd, Audio 3rd, LAN 4th, after this it doesn't really matter what order you install the rest of the drivers in generally speaking, but needless to say have at least a firewall and anti virus installed before connecting to the net again, if only for peace of mind, hope this helps a bit anyway.

Edited by 8210GUY, 24 September 2012 - 06:24 PM.

Braindead

#14 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

UPDATE VON INTERVIDEO WINDVD 3.1 AUF 3.2 3.2.41.114
20.06.2002 6,05 MB

This is for software, probably came with the system, and unless you use this software it's not needed for the system, so can be left unless required.

Note: This software (Intervideo winDVD) is what makes it possible for your Optica Drive (compact Disk CD/DVD) to recognize and play DVD. Without it the machine would not be able to display DVD movies or DVD audio.

Maybe not "necessary" as 8210guy suggests, but that's what it is for.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#15 yaniz

yaniz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

Good day gentlemen! Thank you very much for your time and extensive replies, 8210guy. Things have become clearer with your help. Hope I will be able to figure things out. Please give me a couple of days to deal with the issue and I will come back to this forum with the result. The scanners you suggest 8210guy are unfortunately not an option since I cannot connect to the net in order to scan the pc in question. Also, thank you paws and thank you Doug! I am very thankful for all the assistance you have provided. Kind regards!