This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

White Screening & Freezing

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my laptop freezing & sometimes white-screening just after startup/logging-in.
The computer becomes completely unresponsive & has to be restarted several times before it eventually works.
I've resolved this problem in the past by doing a factory restore, but eventually it happens again.
I would like to resolve this issue before having to revert to a factory restore

Things I tried to resolve the issue:

  • Virus & Malware scan with both NOd32 & Malwarebytes

    • Computer is clean
  • System restore

    • Made no impact as I only had two restore points in which to choose from.
  • Under Windows Performance Information & Tools > Advanced Options there is a notification under performance issues (Pictured below), but I'm not sure what program it relates to.

  • There are a series of Critical Errors listed in Windows Event Viewer

    • I'm not au fait with event viewer so I am unable to troubleshoot from the information provided

  • Selective Startup using MSconfig & unselected all of the check boxes.

    • The problem seems to go away but because the problem itself is sporadic, happening 4 out of 5 logins, it's hard to tell what is causing it.

I hope someone can help before I have to revert to doing a system restore again.

Hi Lee,

I can't seem to find it even with the instructions provided in your link. It does mention that it may be related to iTunes which isn't on my system. Would installing then uninstalling iTunes remove it? Do you think this may be causing this issues?
Hi Lee,

Great tool, although it was unable to find the specific file by name. I searched 'GEARAspiWDM.sys' in the file name box then performed a seperate search by entering 'geara' in the containing text box.

The latter found the following file 'GEARDIFX.EXE-82941F77.pf' located here C:\Windows\Prefetch.
Is this the file or could it be hiding somewhere else?

Thanks Lee
Going by the symptoms you have described:

I'm having a problem with my laptop freezing & sometimes white-screening just after startup/logging-in.
The computer becomes completely unresponsive & has to be restarted several times before it eventually works.
I've resolved this problem in the past by doing a factory restore, but eventually it happens again.
I would like to resolve this issue before having to revert to a factory restore


I'm starting to suspect this is a hardware, not software problem as the laptop does sound a bit long in the tooth (?)

If you haven't done so as yet, I would strongly advise backing-up anything on the laptop you do not wish to loose.

Check your hard drive brand as they all have a testing disk you can burn from their available ISO on the brand support site. Do any back-up you need to do first before testing the hard drive.

Cheers,
Lee
Hi Lee,


Agent Ransack still can't find the file although it does list other files. In the first link you provided me with it does mention itunes which I installed around about the time the problems started happening. So I did a system restore. Maybe there are some left over files somewhere?

I'm not running any software from Norton.

I downloaded a disk tester from Acer's website ( http://acer–uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/d…g-the-hard-disk ) to determine if it is a hardware issue, but all results came back fine

Test Option: QUICK TEST 
Model Number: Hitachi HTS542516K9SA00 
Unit Serial Number: 080901BB6C005GGK1NYF 
Firmware Number: BBCOC31P 
Capacity: 160.04 GB 
SMART Status: PASS 
Test Result: PASS 
Test Time: 14:33:27, September 24, 2012 

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST 
Model Number: Hitachi HTS542516K9SA00 
Unit Serial Number: 080901BB6C005GGK1NYF 
Firmware Number: BBCOC31P 
Capacity: 160.04 GB 
SMART Status: PASS 
Test Result: PASS 
Test Time: 15:42:49, September 24, 2012
In hindsight, the PC behavior still sounds like a hardware issue. Now we have ruled out a hard drive problem, it might be a good move to test the RAM with Memtest86+, just so we can also rule that out as causing any problems.

Left over iTune files (or from other programs) shouldn't be causing the symptoms described. If it was software, the problem shouldn't be happening again after a factory restore. Try searching for leftover iTune files anyway.
I've been reinstalling the same software after every factory restore, inc. iTunes. I did a quick search for 'iTunes' using windows search & there is a lot of iTunes files.
I'll also do the memory test now - Which file do I need to download? Just to be sure

I downloaded the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip), extrated it, but there are no iso's just an img file along with security catalog file. Shall I burn these to a disk?
Yes, correct download.

When unzipped you should see the ISO mt20

Download and install Imgburn / open it and click on Write image to disk.

In the next window that opens, select a slow write speed (I use 8X). Burn that and you will have your bootable disk.
Lets run an Overdrive test and take a look at what is happening on your PC. It is safe, free, takes only a few minutes and will assist us in spotting possible problems or conflicts.

PC Pitstop 'OVERDRIVE' for XP, Vista and W7
For XP only, start at step 4

OverDrive is Fast, Comprehensive, and Free.
In just a few minutes, OverDrive creates an extensive report of your PC's performance, security, software, drivers, and more. In order to receive the full benefit and display the full Results of OverDrive, use Internet Explorer.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

1) Close all instances of Internet Explorer and any other open programs.
2) Click on Vista or W7 Start
3) Right-Click on Internet Explorer and choose "Run as Administrator"
This will give your machine full privilege to take advantage of all the features of PCPitstop's OverDrive full test.

4) Navigate to PC Pitstop's Overdrive using Internet Explorer and click on "Create free account".
5) Register and accept the necessary active-X needed to run "Overdrive".
6) Run PC Pitstop Overdrive.
7) Post the URL link here from the address bar which will allow us to view your results. No personal information or serial numbers etc. will be shown. You and your PC remain anonymous.

Caution: During the testing of your PCs Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop full test over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns. If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: PCPitstop is a free service, but like many free services and programs, it is supported by various paid products and we do not necessarily support their use.

Cheers,
Lee
I agree, nothing out of the ordinary, but it wouldn't hurt to defrag. your C: drive.

Returning to possible hardware problems and specifically your mention of "white screening".

I can think of no software issue that could be responsible.
It does however, sound like a failing or loosely connected Video Flex Cable from the M'board to the LCD. That problem is beyond the scope of this forum to direct you as to check or replace that item. It is a Tech. hands-on job.

I think the file we were looking was possibly GEARAspi.dll not GEARspiWDM.sys
Have a read here about uninstall issues of Gear software drivers and the above file and others on Intel based computers. The page is a Gear Software page.

Uninstalling iTunes can leave Gear Software problems behind.

Remember to do an ERUNT backup if you decide to alter or remove anything in the registry.

Personally (and I'm not the only one) I consider iTunes a piece of junk software when used in Windows based systems. It was designed by Apple for their OS system.

The majority of the problems with iTunes, are with iTunes for Windows. The interface and version numbers may be the same, but the overall user experience is completely different in Windows XP, Vista or W7 than on Apple. For many Windows users, a primary complaint with iTunes is that it is a resource HOG. Even on a fast, well configured system, it can be frustrating to see one application consume so many processes or use so much RAM.

There are plenty of other media player programs (that were designed for Windows) that can be used for playing, downloading, saving, and organizing digital music and video files on desktop or laptop computers.

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI